2005 Rubicon LJ

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
If I were a thinking man I would have posted some of my old LJ parts up for sale before the rendezvous....
It was a great time. My old Jeep really would have loved to have been there....

jscusmcvet

Explorer
If I were a thinking man I would have posted some of my old LJ parts up for sale before the rendezvous....
It was a great time. My old Jeep really would have loved to have been there....

I am close enough to you to make a trip up if you've got some interesting stuff... let me know what you got and what you want for it.

John

Jim K in PA

Adventurer
Here is an idea of the mods I am looking at:

John - This is such a subjective area, I rarely give my opinion anymore on what modifications are "best", or "right". Given your clearly higher level of intelligence exemplified by your ownership of an LJ (;) ), I will toss out a few comments. Some of this I may have already suggested earlier in this thread.

1/2" Body Lift - Rokmen - already have just need to install- this is to get the xfer case skid up to frame level and to provide a hair more tire clearance under full stuff

1.25" would buy you some more tire clearance at the flair under full lock/stuff. It also allows for a better tuck for the skid, which should be paired with a 1" MML.

33x10.50 (metric equivalent?) tires... skinny is where I am at. If I could find just one more 33x9.50x15 in an AT pattern I would be set...

255/85-16 in the type of your choice. This size works great with the 1"MML, and I use no wheel spacers. Some report having interference, but I do not know where/what with. Yes, you need to go to 16" wheels, but a set of rock rashed Moabs are cheap, and strong.

Replace Winch - Bought this superwinch used and it is showing it's age. Will be looking in a few months for something solid, not sure what yet.

This subject is as bad an oil thread. :) Go hydraulic. Look for a used MM. I have a 9.5k version. No need for dual batteries, etc. They are far more efficient in turning energy into work.

Different Engine skid. I have a Skid Row that is up for sale at the moment... Very good protection, but heavy, considering a smaller skid that just covers the oil pan.

I use an Nth degree from before they folded/were sold off to AEV. I think it is available again. But if the SR works, I doubt you would save much weight. A "light" Jeep is a unicorn hunt, IMO.

Drop Down Tailgate - Usable space in camp

Build a simple drop down table on the inside of the stock tailgate, and have the best of both worlds.

Frameless soft top - HATE the LJ soft top bow system, but love a soft top... softtopper or rampage...

I gave up and run my hard top exclusively. When my roof rack is done, I would not be able to open the soft top anyway. Diff'rent strokes and all that . . .

Chromo front axle shafts - want, not sure if I need but nice insurance

Expensive insurance, especially if you are running 33s and do not rock crawl. Put that $$ into other stuff first. Make sure the outer UJs are of good quality and properly lubricated.

Awning set up to extend from the rear of the jeep - this will probably be "custom" - Read as "Ann Made it". Basically a covered area to work at the tailgate, and sit and have a beer.

Check eBay for cheap RV awnings. May not be worth the cost to make your own. What would you mount it to? A cheap beach canopy might be simpler.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Jim, I always appreciate your input. Always makes good sense. I have switched already to 16" rims (moabs, bought used, as you suggested). You are right about the engine skid for sure. I have been contemplating the table idea instead of the drop down tailgate. Pretty sure I can fab up something. I will have to do some research on hydraulic winches. I am open to it if it makes sense.
As to the soft top, I just hate the bow system the LJ top uses. I find it hard to get the top up and down on my own. This was not the case with my TJ. I am leaning hard towards softtopper and saving my pennies. I have a design in mind that while in camp the window panels and the back panels will get replaced with screens. That plus a platform in the back and for those occasions that I am on my own... bingo easy comfy camping. The awning would attach to the back Velcro or zipper of the rear panel attachment, and be just big enough for cooking and sitting for the end of the day beer(s). I believe my Ann could whip one out in a few hours, if I provided the material. I am hoping that I can get the top before the end of the year, and before spring/summer have those modifications for camping done.

John

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
I recommend a fold down tailgate. I had 2 different versions and loved both. The Poison Spyder Version was great because it shed a bit of weight and freed up precious space that I needed for my build.. I still have my SWAG OFF ROAD version attached to my stock tailgate. Its sitting in the garage waiting to start a new life...

I'll PM you with a list of all the other goodies I have, too. I have to get going. The Marine Corps Ball starts in a half hour....

Jim K in PA

Adventurer
You have reasonable goals, John. You will get it where you want it to be.

I agree on the stock LJ soft top being a PITA. The one positives feature of it that I used a lot was the front "sunrider" feature (or whatever it was called) where I could flip open just the front 1/3 over the front seats. I used this all the time, because a full on "topless" ride took me 10 minutes to accomplish. I have not seen one of those frameless tops, they are intriguing. Go for it.

I forgot you already went to the 16" Moabs. They are a great deal now. My older son picked up a set for his YJ, and my younger son is looking for a set for his '96 XJ.

Do you already have a TT? I may have already mentioned it, but I have the Rokmen belly skid. I would purchase it again in a heartbeat. Rokmen put out some good products.

Semper Fidelis, Semper Liberi. While I did not serve, both my mother and father served in the USMC ('61-'65; El Toro MCAS). Thank you for your service.

Zeep

Adventurer
I would suggest against the drop down tailgate. I have rear seat removed from mine, and it is hard enough already to lean all the way in.
Someday I'll be installing tailgate shelf on mine.

'05 LJ Rubicon

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
IMG_20130106_110428.jpgI guess it depends on what you use it for. with a drop down you can sit on it, sleep inside with either your head or feet hanging out, transport large items, or.... do something like this....

sorry for the inverted pic...

Attachments

• IMG_20121203_114130 (1).jpg
    IMG_20121203_114130 (1).jpg
    548.5 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Swapped in 3" BDS springs today. Swapped from my son's 2000 TJ. He is driving Ann's 2002 Subaru Forester these days and the BDS springs have a much better spring rate for an LJ than the Rough Country springs I have been running. Interesting in that when I took off my Rough Country 2.5 springs and compared to the 3" BDS springs the BDS springs were 1/2" or so shorter. I called BDS and they were very friendly and confirmed the unspring height of the 3" spring. They also have a 2" spring so I wanted to make sure it was an improvement. Net resulted in about 3/4" more clearance all around. FWIW the 3/4 inch pucks I put in the rear a couple years ago were toast... mushed all to hell. Had to cut them off.

The ride stiffened up considerably, which was part of the plan... reduced body roll while maintaining a good ride. So now my suspension = 3" BDS springs, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Metal Cloak upper and lower front control arms, metal cloak front adj. track bar, metal cloak disconnects. Looks like I will need a rear track bar bracket, but it is not an emergency.

Next step will be winch, frameless top and tire upgrade, hopefully before April... as funds and time allows :rolleyes:

John

jscusmcvet

Explorer
So after a few days on the BDS springs, here are my impressions. Cornering and body roll - much better. Ride quality - on road and on dirt - much harsher. I am undecided if the BDS will stay or if I will spend another morning in the barn switching them back. I like the extra clearance and am confident that no matter what my next tire size choice, it is at a good height right now. I do not like the increased harshness of ride... maybe being picky because after all it is a jeep, but I drive mine everywhere, so I have to decide how much I want to pursue a nice ride or MTFU and bump around...

If I stay on these springs I have a bit of work to do. I have MC rear sway bar links and a rear track bar bracket ordered and on their way. Those will go on regardless. I will need to adjust the caster on the front end alignment. Quite a bit of wandering and lack of return to center for the steering wheel at the moment. With the adjustable arms I think I can do this myself and get it pretty close.

Finally - my son is in decision mode as to whether he wants to keep his 2000 TJ and we sell the 2002 Forester he is driving now, or visa versa. He is a lifelong jeeper and yet now is learning it is an expensive thing to drive day to day and to keep maintained. One of the two vehicles has to go to help pay for his college expenses... If we sell the jeep I will be taking back the original Big Daddy Offroad front bumper and Warn HS9500 I gave him...

And of course when we hit the trails he will be forced to ride with the old man... which is a bonus for me, at least.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I really think you should consider a set of progressive springs, like what AEV offers. Best of both worlds.

Rusty762

Adventurer
John I am not sure if you have seen the Metalcloak springs, they are a progressive design and some of the best springs available. I have installed them on some friends rigs and short of going to a 4 link/coilover setup they are what I would run on my rig if I was looking for a bolt on solution, their control arms and duroflex joints are top notch also. Happy New Year!

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Rusty I agree whole heartedly and appreciate your input... I already have the MC front upper and lower control arms, front track bar, disconnects and have the rear sway bar links and track bar bracket in the mail coming my way as we speak. I love their stuff, solid guys (it seems via phone and email) and the machining, etc, seems so solid. I will likely go for their springs at some point, but for now, due to cash concerns and other jeep needs, I will likely stay on the BDS springs.

Today On a whim, I mounted my 33x12.50's I had on this jeep before. C rated tires smoothed the ride out a bit. Also we have nothing but rain for the last couple weeks so just getting in and out from the farm , let's just say the bfg AT's were getting overwhelmed. Bottom line is it rides better with the heavier tires, heavier steel rims... So despite my floundering back and forth, I am going to run these for a while. When they wear down I will get the 255/85/16 or 285/75/16 I am looking for to mount to my moabs. In the meantime, running my 33's saves me some cash so I can address a few other things...

I am in discussions with Northridge 4x4 about a new top and I have on hand the Rokmen 1/2" body lift waiting to be installed.... Also considering (again) ditching the Big Daddy off road rear tire carrier for a simpler solution... Just pondering at the moment, but...

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Adjusting to the ride ont he springs much better now. The 33's make a big difference. I spent the last couple days adjusting tire pressure to see effect on ride, etc... Seems like 26 at all 4 corners is about right. Have also decided to hold off on replacing the top. the MC order looks like it will arrive next week. Hoping the cold snap we have hitting tomorrow will be gone by then. Perhaps a Saturday morning devoted to mounting those and then also the 1/2" BL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal