2005 Rubicon LJ

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Thanks for the input Ryan. I have been frequenting Uwharrie for all kinds of activities for the last 25 years and yes, we are blessed for sure.

I agree with you about the 35's. Although it was on a TJ wheelbase, I grew my 2003 Rubi to 35's and realized the difference off road was not worth the expense to me. I liked the jeep on and off road on 33's. That may not be the case on LJ's, 35's could be ideal, but I cannot swing the other upgrades at this point money wise. I am trying to balance the money issue with a realistic view of how I am using the jeep. If 31's will go where I NEED to (they will) perhaps the search for 33's is only looks and ego driven... such is my wrestling point.

Another point is that somewhere, as I make the jeep more capable, I am more likely to say, "Yep, I can make that" ... scary:smiley_drive:

John

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Well I have ignored the sage advice of everyone who commented on tire sizes... got a good deal on some BFG KO AT's already mounted on Moabs. So I am back to stock on wheel size and on rims. Not necessarily what I want for sure but:

1. Good price
2. I like being back on Moabs - never should have sold mine. This will facilitate some nice pizza cutterish tires in the future, since those are more available in the 16 inch and metric sizes than in 15's.
3. My son Jonah now has 7 different 33x12.50's to choose from for his 2000 TJ, although he'll be mixed and matched. I am quite sure he will mount them on his rims so I will have a bunch of black steel 15"rims for sale in the coming weeks. Will help me recoup some of the costs.
4. Both his jeep and my jeep taken care of for a fraction of what just taking care of mine would have been.

Why do this you say? Many of you understand this I am sure. College is an expensive proposition. My daughter graduated in December and Jonah is a rising sophomore. The UNC system is a money sucker if there ever was one. So I am doing as much as I can on the cheap so I can continue to support him in school. So that takes priority over jeep money.

tires jun 2104 2.jpgtires jun 2014.jpg

John

jscusmcvet

Explorer
YES! Love it, exactly perfect 100%!

Thank you. I am working on sidelining my ego... I suppose that since I am putting about 30k miles on the jeep, I will be at this again next year so, what the heck, I can do anything for that amount of time. Jeep will still do everything I need it to.

John

Expedition Ready

Hi All,
Just read the posts on here and thought you I would share my LJ. View attachment 230989
View attachment 230990
View attachment 230991
It is a 2005 Rubi with a 4.5 rubicon express lift on 35x12.50x15 trxus MT with an 15x8" Mickey Thompson classic wheel.
Onboard cold water 14 gallons, hot water 2.5 gallons. Onboard air with dual compressors so I can run air tools and inflate my tires in under 2 min. Custom Storage drawers with recovery gear, stove, pots and pans,food, extra propane, A folding toilet, Tie downs. Engel Fridge freezer with a custom made slider. Custom made roof rack with a roof top tent and awning. A cold air intake/snorkel.Hella ralley 5000 LED'S ralley 4000 with a set of black magics on the front bumper. ARB front and rear bumpers and a Warn Zeon 10k lb winch.

Singlespeed92

Observer
Hey John. I'm kinda new here and just read through your thread. LOVING you LJ (which is my dream Jeep,one I'll own one day...it's on my list ,LOL). Just curious about your On One SS,you still riding it? Had mine (Inbred 29 SS) for about 14 months,love it. Built up from a new frame and parts I already had laying around (after selling a pair of Vassagos,I had all kindsa parts :p ) :)

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Nice Bike!

Yep, still riding a bit. Like most of us, I think, not as much as I want to. I am still on my On One and still love it. Everytime I get tempted to upgrade to the latest and greatest, I find myself describing the on one to a t as to what I would want, so here I am. I am pretty slow and have gotten to the point that it does not matter. But I tell you point that thing downhill and it is like I am a 10 year old kid. Love it.

Singlespeed92

Observer
Yeah,that thing's a blast downhills! I found a long time ago I'm a fairly fast climber on a SS,especially a 29"er (well,one has to be either fast,or walk hills,there's no granny gear,hahaha!). Most of the people I ride with don't have some old injuries that I do (I'm "legally disabled",and definitely have some bad days with an on-the-job-mangled-in-2001 spine) and are in their 20's (I turn 41 this month),but where I ride more often (I'll ride 75-100 road miles on the CX bike on a good week,none when having a flare-up though-they typically ride 1 time every 10-14 days ;) ) I have no problems keeping up with em,and usually beat them up hills (they sit and spin the granny gear). I raced a rigid Redline Monocog solo 2 of the 4 years I raced the 24 Hours of Snowshoe back before I was hurt at work,so definitely a SS'er here :p

I'm like you,I try to stay away from the latest n greatest,my budget doesn't play well with those kindsa bikes anyways. I did build up a Surly Troll frame earlier this year (new frame/fork and racks for touring on or offroad-but all of the build parts came off of my Xtracycle,which I've dismantled indefinitely). It still has some cruiser bars on it,but I have a layaway at my trusty LBS with more mtn friendly bars,a second pair of wheels/cassette/etc and tid bits (so I can convert it from road to trail to road in a few minute's time). I've gotten 3 mini-tours/bike overnights on it so far (one wound up going from what was to be a 2.5 day 86 mile loaded ride into a 136 mile sub-24 hour ride because I kinda got pee'd off and wanted to come back home early,hahaha!). I found it ride MUCH better with a front-heavier bias,but I don't have any pics of it loaded while on tour/campout,but here's a pic of it loaded all out back (before I rode it and instantly knew that bias was a bad idear ;) ).

jscusmcvet

Explorer
My boy Jonah and I completed our first Tough Mudder yesterday in Virginia. Awesome time and great Fathers Day weekend for me. We have decided that our team name is Chug Chug, since that is how "we" run. He, at 19, of course is kind enough to wait for his dear old Dad. I was not quite the oldest, but getting there.

Try it. What fun and good camaraderie. We have been doing various obstacle courses/mud runs since he was in 7th grade. This was by far the most fun/challenging and the spirit of camaraderie was remarkable. I completed all obstacles except the parallel bars. Just to wasted to complete it. I was happiest with the Monkey Bars and a few others. A few pics for your enjoyment.
SUNP0099.JPGSUNP0097.JPGSUNP0089.JPG

jscusmcvet

Explorer
So best news on the tires and rims is that the ride is much better and quieter. The second best news is that I averaged 16.5 MPG on the highway. Nice improvement and will pay for the tires and rims through reduced fuel costs inside of a year.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Yeah,that thing's a blast downhills! I found a long time ago I'm a fairly fast climber on a SS,especially a 29"er (well,one has to be either fast,or walk hills,there's no granny gear,hahaha!). Most of the people I ride with don't have some old injuries that I do (I'm "legally disabled",and definitely have some bad days with an on-the-job-mangled-in-2001 spine) and are in their 20's (I turn 41 this month),but where I ride more often (I'll ride 75-100 road miles on the CX bike on a good week,none when having a flare-up though-they typically ride 1 time every 10-14 days ;) ) I have no problems keeping up with em,and usually beat them up hills (they sit and spin the granny gear). I raced a rigid Redline Monocog solo 2 of the 4 years I raced the 24 Hours of Snowshoe back before I was hurt at work,so definitely a SS'er here :p

I'm like you,I try to stay away from the latest n greatest,my budget doesn't play well with those kindsa bikes anyways. I did build up a Surly Troll frame earlier this year (new frame/fork and racks for touring on or offroad-but all of the build parts came off of my Xtracycle,which I've dismantled indefinitely). It still has some cruiser bars on it,but I have a layaway at my trusty LBS with more mtn friendly bars,a second pair of wheels/cassette/etc and tid bits (so I can convert it from road to trail to road in a few minute's time). I've gotten 3 mini-tours/bike overnights on it so far (one wound up going from what was to be a 2.5 day 86 mile loaded ride into a 136 mile sub-24 hour ride because I kinda got pee'd off and wanted to come back home early,hahaha!). I found it ride MUCH better with a front-heavier bias,but I don't have any pics of it loaded while on tour/campout,but here's a pic of it loaded all out back (before I rode it and instantly knew that bias was a bad idear ;) ).

Those are some long rides. I do not have much interest in that stuff. I workout regularly and riding the MTB is my reward. even though it is a workout, I love it and have more fun than I do pain. Congrats on still riding through your injuries. I am continuously amazed at what folks can do. Keeps me from whining when I really want to :)

John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal