2005 Rubicon LJ

RugerTrailer

The Trailer Guy
Looking good. Control arms are next on my list. I'm looking for a little bit of ride improvement as well. I like the metal cloaks but am thinking of building my own with JJ's if I can do it cheaper. My stockers are thrashed. I've had to replace 3 lowers that were basically bent in half and I'm almost out of free replacements.

Jim K in PA

Adventurer
Good job John. The stock control arms are fine for the street, but are oh so easily damaged off-road. Stamped steel is only going to take so much. Getting rid of the rubber marshmallows helps the ride. Your old ones were actually in decent shape. They are just that bad. The rubber bushes also restrict rotation of the arms, contributing to ride stiffness and reducing articulation. I prefer to let the coil springs be the springs, and the control arm joints flex to the degree they need. All positive steps here.

Lengthening the lower arms will increase caster, but it will also lower pinion angle. Get the uppers in and then have it aligned.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Good job John. The stock control arms are fine for the street, but are oh so easily damaged off-road. Stamped steel is only going to take so much. Getting rid of the rubber marshmallows helps the ride. Your old ones were actually in decent shape. They are just that bad. The rubber bushes also restrict rotation of the arms, contributing to ride stiffness and reducing articulation. I prefer to let the coil springs be the springs, and the control arm joints flex to the degree they need. All positive steps here.

Lengthening the lower arms will increase caster, but it will also lower pinion angle. Get the uppers in and then have it aligned.

Thanks Jim. The more road miles I get on these the more I am convinced this was a significant upgrade.

Looks like Saturday is going to warm up again. We had snow yesterday and they are calling for single digit temps tonight... definitely does not happen often in this region of NC... But Saturday is going to be 55... so I have time set aside for the upper arms. Also going to do some bump stop adjustment at that time.

John

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Snow pics

Just a few quick ones, as it is kinda rare in these parts.
snow 2014.jpgsnow 2014 2.jpgsnow 2014 3.jpg

Really liking the jeep after the snow driving over the last 24 hours and I gotta say, I am so lucky to live in my spot.

John

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Got the uppers mounted today. Went according to plan, although my Skid Row engine skid plate caused a few more skinned knuckles than usual. Of course I could have removed it... but no... I was down with the struggle and have the scars to prove it:)

Test drive went great. More of the same, smooth over the dirt, less of a shimmy on the road... barely noticeable now. I am thinking the alignment will make it all work perfect. Will let you know.

John

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Just sold my old shocks. took that $ and just sent money for this:

http://www.nc4x4.com/forum/index.php?threads/zj-xj-mj-and-tj-tie-rod-upgrade.139608/

First step to upgraded steering. I looked at the ZJ steering as described earlier in several posts and all in all thought this would be the start of a more stout steering solution. I figure if it does not work out just right, I will switch it to Jonah's jeep and head for the currie. I wonder if there is a way to reinforce the draglink and call it done? Perhaps sleeve it or something?

John

Last edited:

RugerTrailer

The Trailer Guy
Just sold my old shocks. took that $ and just sent money for this:

http://www.nc4x4.com/forum/index.php?threads/zj-xj-mj-and-tj-tie-rod-upgrade.139608/

First step to upgraded steering. I looked at the ZJ steering as described earlier in several posts and all in all thought this would be the start of a more stout steering solution. I figure if it does not work out just right, I will switch it to Jonah's jeep and head for the currie. I wonder if there is a way to reinforce the draglink and call it done? Perhaps sleeve it or something?

John

I mentioned in my thread that the drag link is solid stock. I don't think you have anything to worry about unless you go to a really large tire size.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
I often comment on here that I use the jeep for other things around the farm. today was absolutely beautiful in NC. Sunny, warm and we got a lot done outside. I am almost finished with our livestock fence, got all posts in today and have about 1/3 of the fence itself left to go. Also tackled a big tree that had fell across the back of our dam almost 2 years ago now. I cleared it from the road out (across the damn, back then) and did not know Ann wanted the rest of it away from the road until we were chatting last night...

Here are some pics. I will give you the rundown on the project as we go. These show you the tree when it fell. It is a big tree. This was april 2012. We are burning the wood from the majority of this tree this winter.

IMG_1623 (2).jpgIMG_1632 (2).jpgIMG_1629 (2).jpg
So today we had the trunk to deal with. The trunk was laying down the backside of the dam, with about a 40 foot run, and it spilt into four major branches where I had stopped cutting back then. Those were at the top edge of the dam. I cut about a 13 foot section. The cutting was an adventure. I have a cheap Poulan 18" chainsaw... the trunk where I cut was about 26". The slope on the back of the dam is I am guessing 50-60 degrees. Made for an interesting 30 minutes of cutting:cool: Once cut we tried to pull it out with the jeep. 4lo, locked front and rear... no go. Got the log sideways, could not get it up onto the top of the dam. Tried from the other side, no go... back and forth like this 3 or 4 times. Turned jeep around, broke out the winch, used the snatch block to boost pulling power... no go. Finally gave in. Got the log parallel to the dam, hooked the winch, via snatch block to a tree at the base of the dam and pulled the log DOWN the dam back instead of up... Reality insisted the log was not coming UP. Gravity sucks. This is the first time any of my jeeps have been defeated by a log, but this was a big piece of wood. I have a Superwinch S9000 and it could not budge it up that slope, even with snatch block. I wonder how to calculate the weight of this log? Anyway, here are some pics:
tree john 2014.jpgtree jeep 2014 2.jpgtree jeep 2014.jpg
Gives you an idea maybe... and of course, the obligatory Joe shot...
tree joe 2104.jpg

Good times all around...

John

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Installed new tie rod this morning. I went with this upgrade. I have heard good things about Jody Treadway and his work, here in NC, so went with this set up. Included upgraded rod ends also.

Install was fairly easy. I did my best to get the toe set correctly, but between this and the new control arms, I will get it in this week for a full alignment.

Removal is always fun. A few years back I got a big ole pickle fork from harbor freight and it has yet to meet the tapered fitting it cannot defeat... well, I do use a BFH... Or really a BF hand sledge...
Tie Rod removal.jpg

Here is a comparison shot. Weight of the two bars is significantly different and the new rod extends much further to each side... less tie rod end showing...

Tie Rod compared.jpg

And finally, a picture of the new tie rod installed. I still need to paint it.

Tie Rod installed.jpg

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Our other activity today (non expo related) was to head to Raleigh to watch our older son play Rugby for UNCW. They beat NC State. He is a freshman and getting good playing time on the A squad... Seems like he took his wrestling and his football days and just mashed them into one sport :)

Rugby 2014.jpgRugby 2014 4.jpg

Good times.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
More snow fun this week... makes for a long work week, but had some time yesterday to get home before dark...
The sled ride
IMG_3007 (2).jpg
The monster... literally
IMG_3011 (2).jpg
The compound
2-12-14 e.jpg
Is there a house there?
2-12-14 c.jpg
Making for a long week at work, but was lucky enough to steal a few minutes yesterday afternoon.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Had a great time yesterday at the new Big Creek trails owned and operated by Uwharrie Offroad Training Center. Scott Fields has put together a nice business training people (from newbies to Special Forces) how to drive off road. If you visit Eldorado Outpost on the way to the Uwharrie Nt'l forest trails, Scotts place is across the street. About a year ago he leased about 120 acres 4 miles away from there. It is hilly and wooded and he and his team have cut some fun trails with a few decent/fun obstacles. This was the 2d time I know of that he has opened for trail rides. You had the choice to go on your own or to go with Scott and his other guides. Jonah and I chose to go with Scott.

We broke out into a group of about 12 vehicles. Ranging from some very well built Cherokees and Toyotas to a bone stock brand new 4 door Rubi. The trails had some challenging spots due to the snow, and melting. This led to some chances for some "creative winching" in off camber situations. Wish I had some pictures, as we winched a few JKUR's sideways off some trees. Jonah had an idea for the jeeps to inch forward, while we used the snatch block and winch to pull the rear end off the tree. Brilliant and worked like a charm. No huge obstacles, but a few fun tight sections and a few rock gardens.

We were celebrating Jonah's 19th birthday on this trip. He was going to take his jeep also, but his windshield wipers decided to quit working. Worked out good for me, since I got to spend a whole day uninterrupted with my boy. He and I have spent countless hours over the years since he was little, wheeling trail systems all over the southeast. So it was good, no girlies, no cell coverage, spicy mulligan stew, farts burps and general male stink... Good times. More to follow, including notes on my first trail ride with the new metal cloak control arms.
big creek 8.jpgbig creek 11.jpg

This was my first trail ride with the new Metal cloak control arms. In a word, they were invisible. No squeaks, no clunks, flexed easy, smoothed out the trail, etc... I am very pleased. I did identify (kinda knew it already) that I need about another inch or so of bump stop. I am very happy with the jeep's performance.
big creek 6.jpgbig creek 7.jpgbig creek 9.jpgbig creek 10.jpg

Attachments

• big creek 2.jpg
    big creek 2.jpg
    550.4 KB · Views: 37

jscusmcvet

Explorer
That sounds like it was a blast! How big are your current bumpstops?

I have stock on top and 1" added to bottom ala hockey puck. If you look at this photo, everything is tucking nicely, but if was to flex like this and turn the wheel, I would hit the flare pretty bad. Not sure which route I am going to go yet for that extra inch or so, and it is not anything urgent.

big creek 7.jpg

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Shimmy, shimmy shimmy.... stinkin shimmy was driving me nuts. Rebuilt entire front end, had tires balanced...3 times... ugggg...

After some research, ordered a set of centramatic wheel balancers.

Put them on this weekend and Bam! NO shimmy... I suppose I am happy since I have a brand new front end now and I have eliminated the shimmy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalewelsh