2005 Rubicon LJ

Jim K in PA

Adventurer
My pleasure John. These parts should have been used right from the factory. I used to bend my tie rod almost every time I went rock crawling. I have not damaged the new parts since I installed them.

Jim,

Thanks for reminding me about the zj set up and giving me the explanation regarding the set up vs. the aftermarket ones. Sounds like a perfect solution. My LJ is approaching 60k miles so I know it is time to do something. Ann might be buying me the ZJ set up for Christmas (she just doesn't know it yet!) I found a write up on Stu's website with part numbers, etc...

http://www.stu-offroad.com/steering/zjtie/tierod-1.htm

John

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Well, following the advice below... above... wherever... let's just say the advice from Jim... I replaced the front Track Bar. Went with an OEM unit, as I really do not see the need for more flex at this point and at 2.5" of lift, the offset of the axle is not enough to worry about in my opinion.

Install went fine. We'll see if it solves the shimmy issue (45-50 mph) tomorrow on the way to work. It is a never ending process, is it not? Found myself wondering as I lay under the jeep trying to figure out the axle side bolt, whether this is all really worth it. But I have been down that path before and come to realize time and again, that I am a jeep guy... for better or worse, so to speak...

And, as usual I had my wrenching buddy... 4 year old Joe, lying on his back next to me, "turning wrenches".... so that alone makes it worth it, does it not?

Along those lines Ann showed me these pcitures a little while back and I thought you would enjoy...

9-27-13 c.jpg9-27-13 b.jpg9-27-13 a.jpg

That's my boy... clearly it is in his blood.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
We'll see if it solves the shimmy issue (45-50 mph) tomorrow on the way to work.

Nope. Shimmy still there. Took it to my regular tire guys and they balanced the tires and double checked everything for tightness in the steering system. They did not find anything, although they did have to add some weights to one of the front tires. I specifically asked them to evaluate ball joints, since I am not sure what to look for. Picked it up after work and shimmy still there, although not as much. Don't know what that tells me... In a day or so my older son, Jonah, will be home from college and I'll see if he can help me chase it down, as in turn the wheel while I stare at the jeep... If I cannot detect anything at that point, I suppose I will begin the long piece by piece replacement process, until I have a new front end ugghhh.

I believe part of the issue is that I drive an very unimproved dirt "road" to get from home to pavement every day (some would call it a trail), and I think all the parts take a beating, from a volume of use standpoint.

I am, as always, open to advice.

John

Jim K in PA

Adventurer
Great shots of your son working with you. I remember those days with my little guy lying under the <insert vehicle needing repair at the time> with me, clanging wrenches. He's 21 now . . . don't blink.

Shimmy progresses to death wobble, so keep poking around for loose components. There are myriad causes, and therefore no one "correct" solution. Once all the worn steering and axle locating parts were replaced on my LJ, I still had DW. Replacing the lower control arms with much heavier units with Ballistic joints finally solved the last round of it, and it has not returned. For my Jeep, the rubber bushings were allowing enough cyclic motion to induce shimmy/DW. Tire imbalance can occur both axially and radially, and not all dynamic balancers are accurate enough to detect both. I struggled with a set of Coopers for nearly 40k miles with balancing issues. The BFG KM2s I have now are perfect.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Thanks Jim. I believe the tires are contributing to the issue, but not the whole issue. I have some free time this weekend, so hope to continue the search for an answer.

I am right with you on how fast the kiddos grow up. We have a 22 year old daughter who just graduated college (double major with honors!... on hunt for real work) and an 18 year old who just finished his first semester. He grew up as my camping and jeeping buddy. Last spring he found out that his jeep on 33's, locked front and rear, was not invincible...
Jonah Stuck 4 Feb 17, 2013.jpgJonah Stuck 3 Feb 17, 2013.jpg

Took my jeep and a front end loader to get him out! Good times were had by all... so to speak.

The little man working on his jeep in my last post is our youngest. He is 4 and was completely unplanned and unexpected. His name is "retirement" (since that ain't gonna happen...:ylsmoke:) Very enjoyable to do it all over again and amazing how different they are. Joe loves our jeep, but will tell you flat out that he would rather fix it than drive it.

Hope you enjoy your Christmas!

John

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Got the boy a new rear bumper for his 2000 TJ for Christmas. This is the second smittybilt item to go on his jeep. I have heard all kinds of negative things about them, but the soft top he got for graduation and the rear bumper were both of excellent quality.

He and I spent a short evening in the barn putting it on. All good and easy install. Heavy duty build. He is happy.
Jonahs new bumper.jpg

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Think I found the source of my shimmy. The passenger side LCA frame side mount was a bit loose. I swear I had checked it before and also the shop did when they balanced my tires... I guess that one was missed by us both. Actually now that I think if it, I doubt the shop checked it, since I asked them to verify the steering was tight.

Anyway, We have a little road trip planned for today to pick up some parts and we will see how the thing shimmies or not.

John

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Been doing much research and reading to make some decisions on next upgrades. Here is the list. Goal is to improve rough road ride, eliminate some shimmy, gain more tire clearance and upgrade... of course.

I am currently running a 2.5 RC spring lift. I added a .75 spacer in the rear for stance. I don't think the rear RC springs are rated for the LJ. I have swapped out front shocks for Bilstein 5100. Just replaced front track bar in effort to track down shimmy. Build is fairly heavy with Big Daddy Offroad front bumper, rear bumper with tire carrier and aluminum rockers. Also have skid plates on both diffs, engine and a mild transfer case tuck (gains one inch).

Future plans:
1) Add Bilsteins to rear - sitting in the back of the jeep, waiting for me.
2) Replace control arms - this may be piecemeal. I am leaning hard towards Metal Cloak, although have used and enjoyed Currie in the past. Will do front upper and lower first without question and add rear when I can, or if needed to go up in height.
3) Replace front track bar with an adjustable and add bracket in back to recenter axle
4) Upgrade steering. I have had Currie in the past. I am thinking it might be overkill on this jeep so considering, per advice from Jim earlier in this thread, the ZJ upgrade and calling it good.
5) Going up 1-1.5 inches through use of spacers to gain tire clearance, adding appropriate bumpstops.

Jeep is my DD, weekend wheeler, much work around the farm and pop up pulling beast. Likely to stay the rest of it's life on 33's.

Any thoughts or contributions?

John

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Steering upgrade. Some guys replace the PS pump with one from a Dodge Durango. It's a direct bolt in from what I have seen, but about twice as beefy.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Ordered front upper and lower control arms today from Metal Cloak. Really looking forward to this. I had all currie on my 2003 and from my reading and advice from a few trusted resources going with MC this time. Hoping for durability and good ride.

Psyched:)

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Ordered front upper and lower control arms today from Metal Cloak. Really looking forward to this. I had all currie on my 2003 and from my reading and advice from a few trusted resources going with MC this time. Hoping for durability and good ride.

Psyched:)

I think that is a wise choice. I too will be going with MC's when I'm ready to make my purchase.

Jack

jscusmcvet

Explorer
I think that is a wise choice. I too will be going with MC's when I'm ready to make my purchase.

Jack

Thanks Jack.

When they come in, I will be posting what I hope will be a thorough review and install. They are 2 - 3 weeks out on shipping. I am hoping to get them in and installed before a planned February 15th trail ride I have planned with my older son for his 19th birthday... private land his jeep, my jeep and limited numbers on relatively new trails... can't wait... So in theory, should be able to install and use on trails fairly soon after getting them.

I am a fan of the Currie Johnnie Joint, and used them with great success in my more rock crawling oriented past. However, after reading reviews on the MC, reviewing videos and speaking with the guys at MC, I believe it makes sense for my application. They post and preach a lot about increased flex and to be honest that does not mean a whole lot to me at this point. I am looking for comfort, durability and off road worthiness... Flex is part of that, but in the trail riding I do these days, monster flex is not so much of an issue. What I read on their site and in reviews regarding return to center, and reduction of small vibration style bump transmission through the suspension makes sense to me. It takes me about a 1 mile of driving each way on an unimproved dirt road, that most here would call a trail... just to get to the paved road, any time I leave the house. I think the suspension takes a beating in this scenario and wanted something that would hold up. I have had clevite bushings fail at the bond to the sleeve in the past and had clunking with the JJ's in the past and I am hoping the MC's don't present those issues. I think both clevite and JJ (and other of these type) joints have their place, but the philosophy of use (thank you nutnfancy) as designed with the MC's seems that it will match my POU just fine. When the little one gets older and wants to step up the wheeling (oh... how... I... hope...) the MC's fill that role as well.

Little rant perhaps, but even though they are less expensive than some options, dropping ~$500 anytime for anything makes me pucker.

John

reece146

Automotive Artist
I watched the video on the product page for the joints. They look like a good product, I may replace the JJs I have in the long arms on my rig.

Return to centre... Not certain how important that is. The typical forces involved are much larger than a return to center force that the joints would provide so I don't see why they make that a selling point. It just "is" in this style of joint in my opinion. It's not like a steering wheel return to center type force? Unless it somehow provides a balancing force to keep the vehicle level to the horizon while articulating? Can't see the forces imparted being strong enough to matter on a 4k-6k lb rig though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL