2005 Rubicon LJ

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Jeep to the rescue once again... On Friday evening I got a call from my wife... who rarely gets riled up... and in the very short yet severe storm at about 6pm we lost 6 trees near the house. We live beside a creek and as that water got flowing, plus the wind, plus the shallow roots of the tulip poplar and the oaks... bam, six of them down. Any one of these trees was big enough to do real damage to the house, but fortunately, none hit the house.

Sadly, the same cannot be said for her 2002 Subaru Forester
IMG_2317 (2).jpgIMG_2318 (2).jpg

Happily, there was only body damage. We had a full day cutting "Booger" (the Subaru's name), and after a close inspection, we had no damage other than body damage. Doors still open, no glass cracked, suspension was bottomed out but held up to the strain.

The jeep came into play by getting me home, through the woods, around the trees that were down and blocking the main road. Thankfully the vehicle was capable of getting past the obstacles without having to clear them first. Then by utilizing the winch to drag logs and also to put one of the stumps back in place. No tree cracked, they all fell over intact, with root ball attached. Here are some pics to give you an idea of the size we are dealing with. Smallest tree down is about 18" in diameter.
IMG_2331 (2).jpgIMG_2335 (2).jpgIMG_2339 (2).jpg

On one tree that was down across a section of our road, I cut about a 15 foot piece and dragged it out of the road with my superwinch. Good stuff.

I have 3 trees left to go. The biggest oak is probably 25-30 across and is being held up precariously by another tulip poplar, which is bent over under tremendous pressure. I have a fair amount of experience taking down trees and recognize the danger of all that pent up energy, so am trying to formulate the safest plan I can. Since no structures were damaged homeowners insurance is not helping, but I will figure it out.

All in all, we faired well. Booger is still drivable, although dented in the roof and front and rear quarter panel. We heat with wood so lets just say we will be warm for a few winters. Finally the clean up, so far, was a true family affair with myself, Ann, Jonah and little Joe all pitching in. Sore today, but alas... family together working hard equals good times in my book.

John

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Nothing huge to report. I struggle with making my little updates and spend a considerable time dreaming of all the cool things you guys are doing to your jeeps and with your jeeps. It has been an extremely busy year and so between work, the kids and being fortunate enough to have land to take care of (along with wife's ever growing animal flock... chickens, guineas, turkeys, goats and now ducks) well the jeep takes a low priority. We are hoping to spend more time camping and wheeling as summer continues to creep in. We'll see.

On to what I did get done. I have always thought that LJ's looked a little *** heavy. Never really thought about doing anything about it, but came across two 3/4" spacers in my pile o'stuff (admit it, you don't remember exactly what you have in yours either). Slapped them in early Sunday morning and really like the rake much better. Could actually see better over the hood (always an issue at 5'6").

Also gave son Jonah a new top for his jeep for his HS graduation. He chose tan to go on his black jeep. I like it. In search of a winch cable for his warn, but the top took priority.

Hopefully as things slow down with work, I will be posting some adventure pics.

John

jscusmcvet

Explorer
A couple pics to show the itty bitty lift in the back. I like it. This is taken on a slight hill so the jeep is not sitting exactly right, but best I can do for now.
.75 added rear 2.jpg.75 added rear.jpg

It sits a little higher in the rear which I was after. Gives a more aggressive stance. You can see how dirty the jeep is. Like many in the southeast we have had tons of rain. Our road to the house is a mess, but at least the pond is full. Things are finally drying up so hopefully I'll get out to wash the jeep today.

I am also going to have to do something about the rear bumper tire carrier combo. It is angled downward a bit, which you can see by the rear corner protection. I don't really need it since I don't plan on going bigger than 33's max, but have done some work to it, for carrying my bike and so have not decided to get rid of it.

John

Last edited:

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Happy to have a nice fathers day today. Spent lunch time with my daughter Maegan and her "soon to be" and his family. Nice to meet the extended family, etc... and see that they value the "Dad" thing. Good people.

Best part of the day was heading to Uwharrie with my wife Ann and my youngest, Joe (also known as "retirement"... since he was a whoa 15 years after our next to last, Jonah).. Place was pretty empty since it was late afternoon on a Sunday. A few pics for your and my enjoyment...

fathers day 2013.jpg
That is the monster himself... Joe...

fathers day 2013 2.jpg
Joe and Ann in the Jeep waiting for the Grand Cherokees in front of us to clear the way...

fathers day 2013 3.jpgfathers day 2013 5.jpg
Damn Good lookin kid... he loves "his" jeep...
fathers day 2013 4.jpg

And the rest... cool large oak tree and a nice shot of the jeep.

Happy Fathers Day to all of you and I hope yours was as enjoyable as mine.

John

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Great camping trip last weekend, full write up in the Southeast section of this forum. Went to Moores Springs Campground and MTB trails in Stokes County, NC. Will definitely be going back. A few pics for my fellow jeepers:

Camper Jeep Bikes.jpgJoe Campfire.jpgCamper Jeep set up.jpg

Good times had by all, especially by Dad :bike_rider:

John

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Whoop!

Scored some almost new rims and almost new 33x12.50 Maxxis Boghorns yesterday. Spent part of this evening sanding/grinding off some rust and then painting rims. Mounted and good to go:

Joe and new tires.jpg

For comparison sake, when first bought:

New Jeep 2.jpg

And most recent version, before new tires:

fathers day 2013 3.jpg

I am quite happy with it. Took the boy and Ann for a quick ride this evening and we are in agreement, this jeep was begging.... I say begging... for at least 33's :)

Also blacked out what I felt like was appropriate... rocker guard bolts and "trail rated" badge... (umm, thanks jeep for telling me...)
Happy times. Can't wait for our next adventure. Old rims and tires for sale in vehicle parts section.
John

Last edited:

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Looks great John!

Thanks!

I sold the 31's yesterday and met the buyer up the road in Cary, NC. Should have taken a picture but forgot to. in the jeep were, me, Ann, Joe in his carseat... next to Joe in the back seat were 2 BFG 31x10.50's strapped to the roll bar, another was in the cargo area, upright (love you LJ) and one stacked on top of that one, braced against the spare and tied to each roll bar... a little Beverly hillbilly, but it worked.

Jeep rides much better with the new tires/wheels. I think the combination of the weight and the wider track have it feeling more stable. These are an old style tire design, the maxxis Bighorn... so let's just say... they are a bit loud. Cannot beat the deal I got for them and the wheels so no complaining. I am itching to get to some trails, but am booked up for a little while.

This Sunday I have secured a few hours to change out a squealing axle ujoint. Also Jonah will be home from college and we are going to begin assessment of his occasional death wobble issue.

Still considering removing the big daddy offroad bumper/tire carrier for something lighter with a better departure angle. Might go with a cheapo rear bumper, a hitch and mount the spare back to original position. If I go that route, out comes the cutting wheel for some simple mods to the BDO corner protection and on to Jonah's TJ it goes. Still trying to decide. I like the opposite opening of the BDO and the beef... blah blah blah.... welcome to my brain... spin, spin, spin...

John

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Spent the afternoon changing out a front axle ujoint... chasing down some chirping birds or squealing squirrels or whatever you want to call them...

Busted two, yes two ujoint caps in the process... argghhhh....
That is the way with jeeps... just never know when it is gonna take gorilla strength or if you are gonna break something :) Good new is the Big Joe actually helped turn some wrenches...

Since he is not yet 4 I think that is pretty good. :)

Also added Alloy USA axle tube seals for a little added protection should things get wet and muddy.

Looking forward to the Uwharrie Veterans Day Ride Nov. 8-9
John

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Sounds like how most of my projects have been going lately. I keep hoping my luck is going to change...

I thought the "chirping birds" was the front driveshaft CV joint?

Jack

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Sounds like how most of my projects have been going lately. I keep hoping my luck is going to change...

I thought the "chirping birds" was the front driveshaft CV joint?

Jack

I think in my case it might be BOTH... I still have birds a chirping... but the flock is a bit smaller... On to the driveshaft ujoints... when time and motivation allow :)

Ahhhhh... jeeps... damn if I don't love them...

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Successful start to the 2013 gun season here in eastern NC! Did not even get to the spot I wanted to hunt and scared up this guy out of a thicket. He lit out across a former hay field and I took the shot, off hand, at approx. 150 yards with him going away from me at full speed... One shot, spine severed. I like to say USMC marksmanship in action :wings: and as with most things a bit of luck mixed in.... maybe my best shot ever.

Buck Oct 2013.2.jpg

7 points, pretty good for this area of NC... 1st day of gun season and a good amount of meat curing ready to go in the freezer. Going to try and roast the ribs over the fire in a few days.

Not jeep related, not overlanding related, but happy times out in the woods for sure.

John

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL