2005 Rubicon LJ

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Swapped out front shocks today. Had Rough Country 2.2 and now upgraded to Bilstein 5100's. This is the first time in all of my builds that I have purchased quality shocks. I am trying to clear a little bit of unwanted "body roll". Here are my thoughts so far.

They are obviously well built. I have ridden about 40 miles on them so far and While I can notice a significant difference... Ann did not feel like there was any difference... perhpas the power of the name brand working on me??? Does it matter? Nope.. I like them and Ann just rolls her eyes and let's me be happy about it :)

Hope you are doing well.

John

jscusmcvet

Explorer
OK, so need some help... perhaps wisdom...

Went to the URE opening day this weekend. I have been going to URE for 20 years or so. I can do pretty much anything there with no issues in this jeep. Locked, armored and on 31's make for an easy driving rig and let's face it... i am not hitting the rocks as hard as I used to...

But...

I did really like the way jeep and especially LJ's look with a bit more lift and at least 33's. On my last TJ I went to 35's and did not see enough off road capability difference to want to keep them, so I am thinking just 33's.

Bottom line is... Talk me out of it. I don't NEED them... I do NEED to be talked out of it...

:)

John

locrwln

Expedition Leader
I'm running 33/10.50R15 BFG A/T's on a 2" BB (previous owner installed). Just a little more inspiration/temptation...

The winch dropped the front down about 1/2".

Jack

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Bottom line is... Talk me out of it. I don't NEED them... I do NEED to be talked out of it...

:)

John

32" tires with a 2" lift will get you just about anywhere you need to go, but 31's will struggle in bigger rocks. Since the difference between 31 and 32 is hard to justify in cost, so... 33" is the sweet spot. 33" rubicons just look perfect IMHO.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
I'm running 33/10.50R15 BFG A/T's on a 2" BB (previous owner installed). Just a little more inspiration/temptation...

The winch dropped the front down about 1/2".

Jack

Blast you Jack! That looks good. Do you not get any rubbing with the 2" lift?

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Blast you Jack! That looks good. Do you not get any rubbing with the 2" lift?

I was getting some slight rubbing on the rear flair (passenger side) until I installed a rear track bar bracket on the axle side to center it. No rubbing on the front, but I still have the front sway bar hooked up. I want to install a Currie Anti-Rock, so I don't want to put in disconnects to just be replacing them. Not sure if the fronts would rub or not, the bumpstops have been extended as part of the BB kit. I should probably unhook it temporarily to see.

Jack

mike3081

My LJ Rubi on 33's. Best tire size IMO without having to start really beefing up the axels etc.

dsc0545pp.jpg

img0858me.jpg

hamr26

Observer
Skinny 33s are the way. They are not too big to NEED many upgrades and look more than stock, almost stealthy. 20130303_164104.jpg

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Your rigs look great! If we were sitting around the campfire right now, my wife Ann would be cussing you guys out :)

Silvanus, are those jeep steel rims painted to match your jeep? If so did you use wheel spacers, such as spidertrax?

I definitely like the 33x10.50 size and had them on my cherokee, then switched them to my son's TJ, where they are now. I thiink they are better on the road and off road to be honest. Seem to grip better. Depending on the timing of this I may wind up with that again. Explanation...

I still have 2 - 33x12.50 Cooper STT. They were one of the items that did not burn and the insurance adjuster was kind enought to turn his head while I stripped them from the burned out hulk that was my jeep... along with several other things.

If I go to 33's now, I will used those, buy 2 more and a cheap spare. If I wait long enough, Those tires go to my son for his TJ and I buy 5 new 33x10.50's. High likelihood i will stay with KM2's. I really don't often need the mud terrain anymore, but when you do, well... you do.

We shall see how things progress.

John

Silvanus

Observer
I'm
Your rigs look great! If we were sitting around the campfire right now, my wife Ann would be cussing you guys out :)

Silvanus, are those jeep steel rims painted to match your jeep? If so did you use wheel spacers, such as spidertrax?

I definitely like the 33x10.50 size and had them on my cherokee, then switched them to my son's TJ, where they are now. I thiink they are better on the road and off road to be honest. Seem to grip better. Depending on the timing of this I may wind up with that again. Explanation...

I still have 2 - 33x12.50 Cooper STT. They were one of the items that did not burn and the insurance adjuster was kind enought to turn his head while I stripped them from the burned out hulk that was my jeep... along with several other things.

If I go to 33's now, I will used those, buy 2 more and a cheap spare. If I wait long enough, Those tires go to my son for his TJ and I buy 5 new 33x10.50's. High likelihood i will stay with KM2's. I really don't often need the mud terrain anymore, but when you do, well... you do.

We shall see how things progress.

John

Yes they're Stock steelies. These wheels came off an 90 YJ "Islander " edition. They were on YJ,XJ, some ZJ's, and a few TJ's ( Willies, and 4 bangers ) There's millions of them in boneyards, backyards, and garages though out U.S.!

No spacers, don't like them. Adds stress to the bearing, they have an 5.5 BS and they rub at full turn but no biggie! when do you really crank the wheel anyway!
I've been with BFG since 1991, I started with 30" then 33-9.5's and been a believer ever since!

My YJ went everywhere I pointed it, so does the TJ-L, also the Ramsey Pro 8000 I've had since 1995, and used it maybe 27 times. skinny tires are where it's at!

Thanks for the compliments!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shazpete