2005 Rubicon LJ

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Short trip to Medoc Mountain State Park this weekend. Had a great trip and completed my first full marathon. Was a great trip, a painful run and lots of fun. Was especially fun since my oldest, and only daughter, and her fiancée came. It was also little Joe's Birthday. The campground was clean and well... a campground. Great trails to run on, great fun with our neighbors (who came over to sing happy birthday). Not sure I am built right for the marathon thing, but it was fun and at least, checked off the list, so to speak.
IMG_2685 (2).jpgIMG_2720 (2).jpgIMG_2688 (2).jpgIMG_2718 (2).jpgIMG_2721 (2).jpg1379524_742908652391154_1145369693_n.jpg1385867_10151783786748402_265231925_n.jpg
That last one is Joe blowing his cattle horn as the "FOM" runs by... Of the whole trip my favorite memories will be of hearing that horn... from what seemed like miles away through the woods and knowing Joe was waiting for me to get there... My first 26.2 miler. Happy, but sore.

John

Last edited:

irish1371

Adventurer
nice work on the run. I did the Mt fuji marathon back in 97, No way in hell I could do one these days. Glad to see your doing the fun stuff

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Replaced rear brake pads tonight and one rear rotor. Old one can probably be turned, but I need vehicle to drive every day so not sure how to pull off getting it to a machine shop. So I bought a new rotor and I will get this one turned so I have a spare for the next time... (this usually means there will not be a next time, so all is good :)

Went with Duralast
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...mx89Z8ko2a?itemIdentifier=60387_116848_16108_

It is an upgraded pad, hoping to help with towing, etc. I have the fronts on hand also and will do that as time allows.... just not tonight :)

Easy 123 install with help from little Joe of course. Will report on performance of new pads as time goes by. So happy to have the Rubicon with 4 disc brakes... to me much easier than drums.

John

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Welp... I wondered about this when I changed the pads out yesterday, as the Passenger side pads were done for and the driver side only part way through...

Looks like the passenger side caliper is not operating properly. Most likely I will try to replace tomorrow evening.... groan... never stops...

Oh well, at least should be easy...

John

jscusmcvet

Explorer
were both pads worn or just 1 or the other?

Both pads down to metal - that is how I ID'd there was a problem, cause it started to scrape. When new pads installed, it is clear the caliper is getting stuck. I even took it all apart a second time and re-lubed the sliding pieces that the bolts go through, to no avail.

Picked up the new caliper today and should have time in the morning to complete the procedure.

If you think I am on the wrong track chime in, I am no mechanic, just following steps I understand.... or think I understand :-0

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Sounds like you are on the right track! Nice buck too! Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good:REOutArchery02:

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Looking for steering and front track bar upgrade suggestions. I am currently at 2.5" lift on front and may go up another inch, but no more. Looking for durability, ease of maintenance and good on road manners. Other than work around the farm, I am not getting in that much off road action these days. However, as little Joe gets older I hope that will change, so want to build for the eventual mid level off road use (typical east coast trail ride, mild rock crawl) and keep DD drivability, low maintenance, etc...

As for the track bar, it is more about what will hold up well to the DD part of the equation, less about adjustability and or flex. Input, real life experience and sources appreciated.

I used to build for the ultimate flex and off road ability, but that was a few years and one son ago :) Here is my 2003 Rubi flexing like mad in Tellico (going down schoolbus was harder that going up:))
2003 Rubi 12ledge2 (2).jpg
Good days for sure. That TJ on 33's and skid plated appropriately could go just about anywhere (or the Warn could drag it there)

Maybe this 2005 to that level someday, but for now looking for durability, ease of maintenance, DD, etc...

John

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Nice build. Simple and functional, plus you use it right...for some family fun, Well Done!

Thanks!

I am familiar with the Currie set up for steering, had it on the 2003 pictured above. Just wondering if I can save a couple hundred with another system, since I am not sure I will make use of the skid plate like strength of the Currie. It is definitely in the mix just not sure with my planned use on this LJ it needs that level of beef... I have looked at JCR and also Serious Offroad. Wondering if anyone has experience there?

Thanks

Jim K in PA

Adventurer
Thanks!

I am familiar with the Currie set up for steering, had it on the 2003 pictured above. Just wondering if I can save a couple hundred with another system, since I am not sure I will make use of the skid plate like strength of the Currie. It is definitely in the mix just not sure with my planned use on this LJ it needs that level of beef... I have looked at JCR and also Serious Offroad. Wondering if anyone has experience there?

Thanks

Have you already done the V8 ZJ tie rod upgrade? It is a direct replacement for the stock drinking straw tie rod. That and a driver's side tie rod flip and you will have plenty of additional strength and clearance for a couple hundred $$. You might have to relocate the left sway bar mount on the axle if you do the tie rod flip. If you go with more lift and 35"+ tires, then you may want heavier steering parts.

As to the track bar, that is a slippery slope. If you want more articulation then you need a better frame side joint or to replace the bracket and rotate the pivot 90 degrees (like the factory should have done). Watch out for front diff cover clearance issues with aftermarket track bars if you have an aftermarket cover. If you have all the articulation you want, then stick with the stock bar, but upgrade the axle side joint and bolt. I get about 40k-60k miles from a stock track bar (frame end joint wears out).

Be aware that Currie uses proprietary parts in their steering kit, but you probably knew that already having installed it on your TJ.

My $0.02.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Jim,

Thanks for reminding me about the zj set up and giving me the explanation regarding the set up vs. the aftermarket ones. Sounds like a perfect solution. My LJ is approaching 60k miles so I know it is time to do something. Ann might be buying me the ZJ set up for Christmas (she just doesn't know it yet!) I found a write up on Stu's website with part numbers, etc...

http://www.stu-offroad.com/steering/zjtie/tierod-1.htm

John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL