2005 Rubicon LJ

bob91yj

Resident **************
Looks like an awesome trip! Looking forward to adventures like that with my grandson.

Drive at the speed you're comfortable with but hit the turnouts if you get a couple of vehicles behind you. You've got your family in your vehicle, no sense in getting crazy in a lifted Jeep towing a trailer. The folks behind you will get over themselves in due time!

1stDeuce

Explorer
Drive at the speed you're comfortable with but hit the turnouts if you get a couple of vehicles behind you.

Oooooh, if this was FB I would have to "Like" this comment!!

It's amazing how using the "slow vehicle turnouts" when I'm going slow makes my trip so much more relaxing, and normally results in people waving with their hand instead of a finger. Here in CO, many roads are twisty and passing lanes scarce, but turnoffs for slow vehicles everywhere. If only the visitors taking in the scenery would pull over and let us by, rather than holding up 20 people who just want to get home from work...

I see that your Jeep is a little tail low in the pics... You might consider some airbags for the back. I mentioned them in another thread, but they really helped my jeep cope with extra weight from trips or towing. My springs are a little taller too, so I just left the jounce bumper alone when installing the bags, rather than cutting it off flush with the cup as the instructions called for. Worked perfect!
Chris

Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Not only is using the turnouts a good idea, it's the Law! States vary, but typically anywhere between 3 and 5 vehicles behind you and you are required to pull over.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
I see that your Jeep is a little tail low in the pics... You might consider some airbags for the back. Chris

I know it looks low in the pictures, but that was due to the angle and slope of my "driveway". We live on an old farm track, that has dips and ruts and gullies. Most would consider it 4 wheeling just to get to the house :) When parked on level ground it sits just right. Thanks for the tip, though. I had a buddy with air bags in his TJ and they held up quite well even to some serious off road work.

I was just really happy with the way the LJ pulled and the stability compared to pulling this same trailer with the TJ (which is still in the family with my 17 year old).

John

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Kind of jeep related update for you...

All along, I have been using my various jeeps for multiple purposes, which include tractor type use around our 45 acre mostly wooded property.

With this latest jeep purchase... doggone it if this jeep is a bit too nice for me to want to be scraping my way through the woods, skidding logs, etc...

So today I picked up a small diesel tractor. Here she is:
IMG_1796 (2).jpgIMG_1800 (2).jpg

Will be picking up a box blade for road maintenance and a middle buster for turning the garden. It already had a bush hog. We'll be clearing some under brush and scraping some trails also.

Got to save that jeep for trips and wheeling :)

John

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Nice little tractor!!

Getting 12mpg while towing isn't bad with a lifted rig.

I get anywhere from 10-14 with my M416 and RTT behind my '00 TJ. I don't have OD, just a 3 speed auto, so it's revving pretty good at 70.

Love your rig! Deep blue is one of my favorite colors for a vehicle.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Nice little tractor!!

Getting 12mpg while towing isn't bad with a lifted rig.

I get anywhere from 10-14 with my M416 and RTT behind my '00 TJ. I don't have OD, just a 3 speed auto, so it's revving pretty good at 70.

Love your rig! Deep blue is one of my favorite colors for a vehicle.

Thanks HillbillE. Learning the tractor is going to be fun and having it for the road work just might save my back :).

As for the jeep, I was quite happy with 12mpg also and it handled the pop up fine. The jeep was one reason I got a small tractor. I figure when the tractor gets stuck, I'll pull her out with the jeep... (as it should be)

Thanks again.

John

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
That just means it will soon be time for a tractor upgrade! heehee! Cool to see the simple family fun time of you and the young 'un. And I love the "counter weights" on the front of the tractor. :)

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Quick update. Been playing with the tractor quite a bit and am getting fairly good at road maintenance with the rear blade. I also have started using the bush hog and the rear blade to cut some trails in the woods and that has been great fun. These trails are for walking and mountain biking, not jeeping. Even the wife is happy at that.

Did a little work to Jeep today (something has to pull the tractor out when it gets stuck!). Added a skid row radiator skid. I had it leftover from the 2003 Rubicon. I figure that when I am in the "trail less" woods, it makes sense to protect that plastic underbelly of the radiator from errant sticks, stumps and whatever else I turn up.

Thinking hard on what is next for the jeep. I have fixed, I think, the warn winch on my son's jeep. Just needs to be hooked back up. He and I discussed the fact that I need it... :)

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Finally worked out a way to carry my mountain bike even while towing the trailer. I needed something that would carry the bike up high enough to not interfere with the hitch. Think I got it.

Mountain biking is another of my serious passions. Been at it for about 20 years and have settled back down to a steel frame single speed. Loving every ride.

I took an old hitch bike rack I had laying around, took off the part that slides into the hitch and welded the upper part to my rear tire carrier. I have a Big Daddy Offroad bumper and tire carrier with only a 31" tire on it, so I think it will hold up fine.
Rack is not removable, but the arms can be removed with two bolts and I am working out a trail rack that can be interchanged with it as needed.

My welding is ugly but strong (kind of like me...) and I have confidence it will hold up. I use an old Lincoln stick welder that my 17 year old son bought used and gave me for christmas last year. Needless to say I am still learning.

bike rack 4.jpg Welded, used the grider and painted. That is as close as you'll see... it is ugly...
bike rack 3.jpg You can see here I wrapped the bare metal arms of the rack with old parachute straps (from my wife's grandfather's barn... who knows how old)
bike rack 2.jpgbike rack 1.jpg My trusty steed. Mounted and strapped down for riding tomorrow and the weekend, rain permitting.
A sweet On One Summer Season singlespeed, durable, light, 31" wide handlebars (great for cranking uphill), Fox Float 140mm 66 degree head angle - slack and so fun at speed on the down hills, I am a kid again. Not the lightest, certainly not the "latest", but fun, strong, fun, durable, fun, low maintenance... and did I mention fun?

Hoping to hit Lake Norman State Park this weekend for some great riding on Friday and Saturday.

John

Last edited:

ManleyORV

Rugged. Reliable. Ready.
Nice Jeep. I've lusted over that exact setup for many years but in Khaki/Khaki. I almost pulled the trigger but they wanted more for them then I paid for my JK Rubi with 8k miles! If anything ever happens to it though I'm getting me an LJ.

-Josh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL