2006 1st-Gen Tundra Doublecab Build

HighPlains

Observer
When you're ready and you want to head up to the Snowy Range again let me know, Im in Laramie and would be happy to head up there with you if Im available.

jnelson4x4taco

Adventurer
I took the Tundra out for some mellow wheeling in the Pike NF today.

4-wheeling with a double cab is a bit like driving an off-road stretch limo :)

Sometimes the long wheelbase makes for a nice mellow ride. It's definitely different.

Klondike enjoyed it...

sgty4o.jpg

I think I recognize that waterfall...Tarryall Res?

FJR Colorado

Explorer
When you're ready and you want to head up to the Snowy Range again let me know, Im in Laramie and would be happy to head up there with you if Im available.

THAT would be freakin' awesome. I'll be sure to PM you next time I head up that way. Thanks, Mr. HighPlains!!

FJR Colorado

Explorer
I was out in SoCal last week and went to Dana Point (one of my favorite towns anywhere). Man, there must have been about 50+ Gen-1 Tundras in and around the harbor. And here I thought CO had a high concentration of G1 Tundys... we do, but nothing like Dana Point...

PS- I also saw a California Condor just south of DP. Man, that is one ugly but magnificent bird... by far the biggest bird I have ever seen... it even dwarfs a Great Snowy Owl....

ssc45

Observer
Hi Fred,
I tend to think that there are more tundra's here in Socal then most any other place I have been. Give me a shout the next time you make it to town. I spent most of last weekend running or I should say biking, between Newport Beach and Huntington Beach. The scenery was, shall we say, spectacular.

Cheers, Steve

FJR Colorado

Explorer
Hi Fred,
I tend to think that there are more tundra's here in Socal then most any other place I have been. Give me a shout the next time you make it to town. I spent most of last weekend running or I should say biking, between Newport Beach and Huntington Beach. The scenery was, shall we say, spectacular.

Cheers, Steve

Hey Steve!

I don't get out there very often but this last trip reminded me how awesome it really is. Yeah, good scenery too :ylsmoke:

I hope you're having a great Summer and we can get together in SoCal at some point!

All the best,

Fred

ExDementia

Adventurer
Really awesome, functional setup you've got going here. I'm definitely going to take some inspiration with the solar panel powered fridge and accessories idea.

Agreed with the others, I still think the first gen Tundra is the best looking. Really timeless design, and just the right size, IMO.

FJR Colorado

Explorer
Fall's here! Nice looking Tundra. What kind of mileage are you getting on the freeway?

Yeah, here in Colorado we "strike gold" every Fall.

Mileage isn't too bad. I can get around 15mpg on a good day. Almost all my driving is at high altitude. I'd expect to to 15% to 30% better at sea level.

FJR Colorado

Explorer
Really awesome, functional setup you've got going here. I'm definitely going to take some inspiration with the solar panel powered fridge and accessories idea.

Agreed with the others, I still think the first gen Tundra is the best looking. Really timeless design, and just the right size, IMO.

Thanks!

I really think the discrete system is the way to go (as long as you live in a really sunny place as you obviously do).

1st gen Tundy is just a great platform no doubt.

Greenbean

B.S. Goodwrench
I really wanted to get a 2006 for the best possible engine & transmission.

Can I ask what the differences are with the 05-06... I thought they were identical in engine trans configurations.
I know the 2004 and older are non-VVTi engines. I have read the transmissions may be different in the 4-spd versus 5-spd but can't find concrete info on it.

I am gathering info to hopefully find a cheaper truck to trade in my 2015 Access cab Tacoma for.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater