2006 Dodge Caravan: Base camp for adventure!

Left Coast Dale

Hello all, new to Expedition Portal and planning to document three vehicles I am either using, or plan to use for getting "out there".

The first is this 2006 Dodge Caravan, that I have been using for several/many years.
The second is a 2002 Chevy S10 ZR2 Crewcab that I just bought recently for more off road use.
And the third is my 2017 Specialized Fatboy fat bike (human powered), that I use for two wheel bike packing.
I will make separate threads about those.

We originally bought the 2006 Caravan for $6k some years ago because we had three kids + their friends and or home stay students to drive here and there. This is my third minivan and secretly I must confess I like them. They hold a lot of people, haul a lot of stuff and don't cost a lot to buy or run. I have used this van quite a bit for camping/adventure travel and think of it as my base camp for other things. Notably, scuba diving, backpacking, mountain biking, kayaking and paddleboarding, plus good old fashion road tripping to see stuff. This summer for example, I did 8000km's in three weeks travelling through 6 National Parks in BC/AB. Canada.

Some people like a bigger, more equipped vehicle for these sorts of trips but so far I have appreciated not worrying how much the gas will cost to go to far flung places and am pretty minimal in terms of sleeping/cooking etc... I just need a vehicle to crash in when doing my thing.

Now the kids are grown and the van is old, with no resale value, so my wife has given the blessing to do what I want with it. I am not investing heavily in this project because I also have my 4x4 to build and the van itself may blow up at any moment (300,000 Km's on the original drivetrain) but I will have fun messing with it and optimizing it a bit more for adventure travel.

I'll end for now while I figure out how to post pics on this platform.

20210811_075414[1].jpg

Cheers,
Dale.

Last edited:

Left Coast Dale

The power thing is true for this van as well. I can merge very quickly, the jump from say 60 to 130 is fast, and easily cruise at 120kph.

I have some previous stuff to document but lately I have been working on repainting parts of the exterior with truck bed liner. Started with the bumpers to see how I like it and was very impressed with Rustoleum truck bed coating in an aerosol can. It gives a nice uniform dimpled look. I tried some roll on liner previously on another project and was not impressed.

20210904_140205[1].jpg

Started by washing and sanding the bumpers with 220 grit then wiping down with a degreaser. From everything I've read prep is king when it comes to liner sticking.

20210904_131404[1].jpg

Then I just sprayed away.

20210904_135450[1].jpg

This is all a bit addicting and now I have done the hood and plan to do the roof as well. I'm getting my practice in on this van before tackling the lower sections of the quarter panels on my Chev S10.

Left Coast Dale

Some pics to show what I like to do with the base camp

Provincial Recreational site, Merritt BC
This is a messy looking solo set up with just a bed platform and storage underneath and room for my mountain bike. I prefer not to haul my bikes externally because of theft from racks.

20210417_081256.jpg
20210402_192435.jpg

Morraine Lake, Lake Louise AB.
I slept in the National Park overflow until 4:30am, then drove to Lake Morraine so I could get a parking spot, crawled back into bed until later, and made breakfast before inflating my paddleboard.

20200904_100604.jpg

Lake Minnewanka, Banff AB.

Having something to eat before diving the 1912 Dam site just left of the pic.

20200902_100120 (2).jpg

Incinerator Rock Beach, Tofino BC.
Taking a break from paddleboarding and surfing on the west coast.

20210804_153250 (2).jpg
20210803_125241.jpg

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Some pics to show what I like to do with the base camp

Provincial Recreational site, Merritt BC
This is a messy looking solo set up with just a bed platform and storage underneath and room for my mountain bike. I prefer not to haul my bikes externally because of theft from racks.

View attachment 680874
View attachment 680875

Morraine Lake, Lake Louise AB.
I slept in the National Park overflow until 4:30am, then drove to Lake Morraine so I could get a parking spot, crawled back into bed until later, and made breakfast before inflating my paddleboard.

View attachment 680876

Lake Minnewanka, Banff AB.

Having something to eat before diving the 1912 Dam site just left of the pic.

View attachment 680877

Incinerator Rock Beach, Tofino BC.
Taking a break from paddleboarding and surfing on the west coast.

View attachment 680878
View attachment 680879
Spring suit in BC? You're a tough guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal