2006 LR3 traction control engaging around corners

Robert T

Here's an update on the situation...

Took it back to LR and took the technician for a test drive. He had his laptop connected during the drive. No faults or issues registered even though the stability/traction control was engaging, which he witnessed. He re-calibrated the suspension and that did not help. The car is back at the LR dealer and they have called in the regional tech from LR to help diagnose the problem. Since there are no faults the thought is that the car thinks the systems are functioning correctly and there is something off with a calibration or something that causes the system to engage too easily/prematurely.

Here is a list of things I've done already: The front wheel bearing assembly was replaced as both had a lot of play. The steering angle sensor was replaced a re-calibrated a couple times. The steering angle sensor was the only item that was giving a fault that was not cleared with re-calibration thus the replacement that corrected the fault. The alignment was done. Tire pressures checked and ok. Tire condition is good.

I'll provide an update with any news from the dealership. Thanks for the continued ideas everyone

NCLRbear

Adventurer
It's most likely not the traction control that you're feeling but the stability control.

And you wouldn't have caused any issues by putting the half shaft in a different spline on the hub so no worries there.

Most likely you need to do a cross axle calibration. If you have a GAP tool you can do it yourself, or a dealer could do it of course. I'm sure they'd find 12 other things that 'just have to be done' while there were in there though...
Zelatore- Mine is doing the same thing. could you show me how to do this with my GAP tool?

GORM

Adventurer
Maybe this helps ... I had same issue on my 2008 with 265/65-r18s. It was only on 2 turns on my normal routes so I really just lived with it. However, after I replaced my tied rods (which were really shot), sway bar bushings, and got my alignment done I no longer have the problem. BTW, I was getting this "error" with and without rods. I have the gap tool now.

I got the rover with 68k and replaced those parts I think between 95-100k and I would bet they were oem.

Good luck.

Robert T

NCRLbear - The GAP manual explains how to calibrate your suspension. Here is the link https://www.gap-diagnostic.com/support/documents/IIDTool/

As an update.
The LR dealer ran tests on everything associated with the traction/stability control and they couldn't find any issues with anything and there are no faults. The regional technician had the idea to swap out my wheels for a standard set. I am running BFG KO2 AT 265-65-18. Changing out the wheels solved the problem. This is strange because I've had these wheels for almost 2 years with no issues. Before they put my wheels back on they balanced them and so far that seems to have done the trick. I haven't driven much so hopefully it doesn't reoccur once I run a few more miles. Heading out camping this weekend so we'll see....

A.J.M

Explorer
Check tyre pressures. A low pressure can throw it up.

Also at 117k, your rear upper control arms will start to be showing wear in the bushes.
I would get them checked out and if worn then upgrade to the RRS version as the bushes are a better design.
If, that's the issue then, getting new hub bushes top and bottom would be a good idea.
Maybe new drop links and rear anti roll bar bushes as well.

I would put a beer on it being the rear upper arms.

RON8O

As an update.
The LR dealer ran tests on everything associated with the traction/stability control and they couldn't find any issues with anything and there are no faults. The regional technician had the idea to swap out my wheels for a standard set. I am running BFG KO2 AT 265-65-18. Changing out the wheels solved the problem. This is strange because I've had these wheels for almost 2 years with no issues. Before they put my wheels back on they balanced them and so far that seems to have done the trick. I haven't driven much so hopefully it doesn't reoccur once I run a few more miles. Heading out camping this weekend so we'll see....

hey Robert, were you ever able to identify and fix this problem with your LR3? I’m experiencing something similar with my LR4 now.

thanks,
Ron

In my experience it is not your wheels as I have had this same issue a few times in the past on factory setup; generally it is related to roll angles and steering angles that trip your ABS in turns at a specific speed. Low tire pressures do the same as the scrub changes the wheel speed and the ABS senses a skid.

I agree with other on this and do not believe this is a wheel problem outside of potentially tire pressure. Mine was related to control arm bushings and sway brace bushings which increase roll and traction on the opposite wheel which in turn tells the ABS to do what it thinks is right.

Just my two cents.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven