2006 Range Rover vs Discovery 3 (edit - looking at a 2006 rr hse tomorrow)

Eniam17

Adventurer
The target market that JLR is hitting with the full size range rover at 85k and more is just not a group that is focused on overlanding for the most part. I did say for the most part because there are some that likely will. The demographic buying an lr3/4 and likely the new defender when it comes out are more likely to off road an explore in their vehicles. Another reason they are moving toward different "groups" of vehicles going forward; the range rover line being super high end luxury, the lr4/5 being a blend of high end luxury and utility, and the defender I whatever they will call it/them being more of a utility focus with some luxury being built in as well.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
The market has recently become a little softer and what was previously a $30k+ Range Rover is now a $25-26k Range Rover. You will see a lot more 2006-2009 Range Rovers pop up on this forum within the next few months in my opinion.

Contrast this with the LR3 which has been available in the high teens through the mid 20's for a few years now.

Howski

A little interesting the pre-06 Ranges haven't popped up much though. I kind of expected to see them being outfitted before LR4's

brickpaul65

Adventurer
I have a question on an 08 RR. How can you tell if you have the rear locking differential? If the 4x4 info screen shows a lock icon on both the center and rear diff's does that mean you have a locker?

KyleT

Explorer
I have a question on an 08 RR. How can you tell if you have the rear locking differential? If the 4x4 info screen shows a lock icon on both the center and rear diff's does that mean you have a locker?
They all do. 07-09

My 2006 has been great. Bought at 64k and just hit 113k and I have done a starter, battery, front pads and tires.
http://www.outlandmotors.com/inventory/2006-land-rover-range-rover-hse-excellent-service-history
That 06 in the ad was a select certified truck. 75k warranty and had to pass a pretty good list of things. Mine was that way too. It was super nice. It also has the salmf vin prefix which is luxury package.

Expect to replace both front air springs if it hasn't been done. Other than small stuff they aren't as maintenance heavy as the 03-05 bmw trucks.

Last edited:

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
The 03-05's held their value pretty strong up until around 2009 when the 2010 facelift came out. By that time most everyone figured out what junk the BMW systems are in those and have steered away. Couple that with 05 being a remarkably short model year. The first gen L322 is a lost generation.

spikemd

Explorer
They all do. 07-09.

Sorry Kyle this is NOT correct. The rear electronically limited slip diff was an option on 07 and newer HSE and standard on the supercharged. All have a center locking diff but not rear locking diff.

I am looking for a 2007 or newer L322 which will be slowly converted for overlanding.

brickpaul65

Adventurer
So how do you know if the rear is a locker? If there is a lock symbol on the 4x4 screen does that mean a locker or do I need to check the underside?

antiacus

Observer
Just as an update, i'm kinda leaning towards getting a Discovery 1 to build for my adventures and buying the wife an 07-09 RR HSE or a newer LR3 only because of the size. When we pack up the whole family for camping space is definitely an issue with 3 kids and 2 dogs. She currently drives a 2012 grand caravan with a car topper on top :) She likes it "fine" but misses her fancy Volvo we traded in on it. I also like it "fine" but as much traveling as we do i want a car that i'm excited to get in and drive.

Clearly i need two Land Rovers :)

antiacus

Observer
That is how were are fortunate enough to be rollin'. I have my 2006 LR3 and she just got a 2008 RR HSE :)

Nice! I'm having a hard time imagining doing the things in a newer rig i would do in an older one. Do you have quite a bit more storage space in the LR3?

brickpaul65

Adventurer
The LR3 is my perfect vehicle from the stand point of room for people and cargo. It is awesome and the favorite vehicle that I have ever owned. That being said...I am jealous of the luxury in our new Range Rover. It really drives amazing. It is like the LR3 only better in every way (as far as driving on road - not allowed to take it off road until it is handed down to me :) ). I am glad we have both. With three kiddos I need the third row and I like the options for folding the seats etc in the LR3 for different loads. If I was not keeping the LR3 I would have pushed her to an LR4, that was my original plan. I wanted to recieve an LR4 as my next vehicle in order to transfer my skids etc.

We test drove a 2010 RRS and 2013 LR4. She prefered the sport. However, she likes the big Range Rover even more! So if you need the space LR3, if not have fun with any of them. Also, the cost savings are there depending on choice. We were looking at 2010 LR4's and the 2008 RR came up at a price I was very happy with and a color she loves to boot.

spikemd

Explorer
So how do you know if the rear is a locker? If there is a lock symbol on the 4x4 screen does that mean a locker or do I need to check the underside?

You can check the VIN with LR but you should see the actuator on the rear diff similar to the HD package on an LR3/4. I would prefer the HSE with rear locking diff but they may be hard to find.

I was also as looking at and LR3/4 for my wife but I like the fullsize better. The problem is that there is almost no aftermarket parts for them. But a simple computer lift and mud terrains and they are very capable. Would like to see someone make sliders for them. There are factory winch trays floating around, but they are rare.

PTB

Observer
I believe on the early LR3's the information screen shows the lock symbol over the rear locker even if it isn't a locker. The symbol just never shows as locked.

spikemd

Explorer
Here is a 2008 fullsize at the NCLR event last October.

2013_nclr_l322.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad