2006 Range Rover vs Discovery 3 (edit - looking at a 2006 rr hse tomorrow)

antiacus

Observer
Here is a 2008 fullsize at the NCLR event last October.

2013_nclr_l322.jpg

That's lovely. I really like the low profile rack. Perfect. What wheels are those?

spikemd

Explorer
Not sure about the wheels. I think they are 32 inch tires and he has a computer lift. The rack is an Safety Devices factory rack similar to the P38 rack and the owner powdercoated it white to match the truck. It is a great truck.

brickpaul65

Adventurer
Do the 18" LR3 wheels fit correctly on the full size range rover? I was thinking they were a different offset. Of course since people are running spacers etc on LR3's and LR4's the offset difference might not be that big of an issue.

KyleT

Explorer
Sorry Kyle this is NOT correct. The rear electronically limited slip diff was an option on 07 and newer HSE and standard on the supercharged. All have a center locking diff but not rear locking diff.

I am looking for a 2007 or newer L322 which will be slowly converted for overlanding.

Sorry standard on all 2007+ supercharged ones, option on the hse. And it is not a LSD, only locking on and off.

antiacus

Observer
Update on my quest in case anyone give a crap ;)

My wife has become convinced my rig needs to be a 7 seater. That rather narrows my choices down. I briefly suggested i build a d1 5 speed i found locally and she referred to it as an Alfa Romeo with 4wd (i'm a recovering alfaholic) and that i needed a reliable vehicle. I talked to her and explained that any vehicle can be made reliable but she suggested i just get a low mileage LR3 and we could both be happy. In the interest of avoiding marital discord as well as a continued interest in getting laid regularly i conceded :)

So, I decided i'd like to take my time and get one as "pre built" as possible. Some good tires, a roof rack, winch and maybe some lighting is all i'm after. Also my 8 year old has requested rear entertainment in my next vehicle and she's so damn cute (and such a good kid) I told her i'd try. Decided to sell my house this spring, so once that is done my search will begin in earnest.

Can't wait!

Eniam17

Adventurer
Sounds like you are a smart man! The lr3 is a great vehicle and you will love it. I spent the day in a 2012 lr4 loaner today and although the power is nice and the interior is higher quality, it reminded me how much I love my lr3

zelatore

Explorer
Update on my quest in case anyone give a crap ;)

My wife has become convinced my rig needs to be a 7 seater. That rather narrows my choices down. I briefly suggested i build a d1 5 speed i found locally and she referred to it as an Alfa Romeo with 4wd (i'm a recovering alfaholic) and that i needed a reliable vehicle. I talked to her and explained that any vehicle can be made reliable but she suggested i just get a low mileage LR3 and we could both be happy. In the interest of avoiding marital discord as well as a continued interest in getting laid regularly i conceded :)

So, I decided i'd like to take my time and get one as "pre built" as possible. Some good tires, a roof rack, winch and maybe some lighting is all i'm after. Also my 8 year old has requested rear entertainment in my next vehicle and she's so damn cute (and such a good kid) I told her i'd try. Decided to sell my house this spring, so once that is done my search will begin in earnest.

Can't wait!

As a former owner of many Alfas (both as daily drivers and track cars) who recently bought an LR3, I fully endorse this plan of action!

I feel Alfa ownership is good practice for Rover ownership. Although the Alfas were far less complicated as I pretty much stopped after the Milano and GTV6 era passed on to the 164s. FWD Alfas....oh the horror!

antiacus

Observer
As a former owner of many Alfas (both as daily drivers and track cars) who recently bought an LR3, I fully endorse this plan of action!

I feel Alfa ownership is good practice for Rover ownership. Although the Alfas were far less complicated as I pretty much stopped after the Milano and GTV6 era passed on to the 164s. FWD Alfas....oh the horror!

No doubt. Mine was an 82 spider. I learned so much from that car. My next will be a 74, either spider or GTV, i need more room in the engine bay. I replaced a starter on my 82 and it took HOURS to wriggle that thing out then back in.

A.J.M

Explorer
Good plan.

My mate had a Alfa, was a lovely V6 engined thing. The electrics were a thing of beauty. Nothing worked properly and it was random in it's choosing what would and wouldn't work.

Want to start it?
Simply, put it in reverse, turn to position 2, switch on rear heated window, lower the passenger side window down, put on the drivers indicator and turn the key.
Then the chain would change the next time. It was cracking a code to get it to start. :sombrero:

He put it backwords into a tree one day and that was it. :(
We still miss it.

zelatore

Explorer
Alfas are one of those things you can't explain - you either get it or you don't.

If you're the sort of guy who'd choose a Land Cruiser over a Land Rover based on reliability, you probably wouldn't care for an Alfa.

If you're the sort of guy who looks at both and says 'but that Rover is just so SEXY!' and figures 'how bad can it be?', then you sir may be cut out for Alfa ownership!

Seriously though, as the owner of many 60's, 70's, and 80's Alfas over the years I'd have no probably owning one again and likely will. I could really go for a step nose GTV. mmmmm....tasty.

antiacus

Observer
Alfas are one of those things you can't explain - you either get it or you don't.

If you're the sort of guy who'd choose a Land Cruiser over a Land Rover based on reliability, you probably wouldn't care for an Alfa.

If you're the sort of guy who looks at both and says 'but that Rover is just so SEXY!' and figures 'how bad can it be?', then you sir may be cut out for Alfa ownership!

Seriously though, as the owner of many 60's, 70's, and 80's Alfas over the years I'd have no probably owning one again and likely will. I could really go for a step nose GTV. mmmmm....tasty.

Lovely indeed! Like i said, it was a great car to learn to turn a wrench on. I had fun replacing the rear diff on my 82 and a bunch of other jobs. Gained a lot of confidence in what i could do myself. Good vehicles for teenagers in my opinion. Nothing like necessity to accelerate the learning curve and a good step towards teaching them that sometimes economics aren't the be all end all of owning a vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad