2006 Tundra Overlander Build Thread and Trip Pics

spazstic

Lives for the weekend
This thread is something I've been meaning to make for years but never found the time to do so. Well, now that I'm selling my beloved truck, I figured it's a good time to put it out there. I'll be putting the truck up for sale in the next couple days. Not sure what I'll list her for (everything below is included). If anyone is interested, PM me an offer!

I bought the truck in 2011 with 105k miles on her, bone stock SR5 4x4. I had wanted a Tundra ever since watching a buddy's truck get pulled off the side of a mountain. It had rolled three times and sat on the side for 3 days before a tow truck pulled it out. He jumped in, started her up and drove it home. These trucks are bulletproof.

She's gone through many changes and revisions over the years, most notably from bins in the back, to a RTT rack over the bed (which worked for my wife and I, and our dogs), to a camper shell with RTT XL on the top, which worked for our growing family (two young kids and our dog). But unfortunately, we just outgrew the truck. The four of us no longer fit in the RTT, and no longer fit in the cab. :( In hindsight, I wish I had started with a double cab but oh well.

I'm going to skip the build parts that are not spectacular (i.e. bolt on stuff) and I'll show some of the custom work that was done.

And of course, I'll show off some of the places this truck has been. It's been all over the western US, as well as Baja. It's been nothing short of remarkable with how durable the truck has been. She's never left me stranded, although I also am very good with maintenance, which helps, but still. She now has 230k miles and still runs like an absolute champ. These trucks are simply incredible.

Here are the specs:
Front Suspension:
  • Fox 2.5 coilovers w/ remote reservoirs
  • Total Chaos UCAs
  • Total Chaos Secondary Hoops
  • Fox 2.5 bypasses
  • Fox 2.0 x 2" air bumps
  • Total Chaos Diff Drop
  • Polyurethane Lower Control Arm Bushings
  • Welded spindle gussets
  • Polyurethane Steering Rack Bushings
  • Welded cam tabs
Rear Suspension:
  • Archive Garage Deaver Leaf Spring Pack
  • King 2.5 x 12" bypasses, custom made
  • Fox 2.5 x 4" air bumps
  • Archive Garage Leaf Spring Hammer Hangers
Drivetrain:
  • Regeared to 4.88
  • Front and Rear ARB air lockers
Chassis and Other Mods:
  • Fully boxed frame from cab back
  • Custom rear tubular frame - allows larger bypass shock and fitment of a 35" spare under the bed, with no cutting into the bed
  • Rear brake proportioning valve delete, all new hard lines from ABS controller back, controlled by a manual Wilwood proportioning valve under the hood.
  • Custom front and rear bumpers
  • Stubbs Welding Rock Sliders
  • Smittybilt XRC 9,500 lb winch with synthetic line
  • Custom front roof rack (used primarily for firewood)
  • Snugtop color matched camper shell, with pass through slider and full hinge down window for easy cleaning
  • Full length drawers in bed of truck
  • Full length slide out in bed of truck with Ancra quick release tracks for strapping stuff down
  • 48" Hi-Lift in mount on inside of bed
  • Rotopax 3 gallon water container
  • Custom tubular frame for RTT on top of camper shell (all loads from RTT run to bedside - nothing on the shell)
  • Smittybilt XL RTT
  • Smittybilt 6' Awning
Lighting:
  • 20" wide angle light bar on bumper
  • 20" spot light bar on roof
  • 2x side facing light pods on bumper
  • LED hedlights
  • Lights in tailgate connected to reverse, also can be turned on by separate switch
  • Two sets of bed lights - one lower set connected to cab lights and a secondary switch in the bed, one upper set in bed are controlled by a dimmer switch in the bed
  • Front roof rack has a light connected to cab lighting
Electrical:
  • Two 100A breakers are connected to a fuse panel under the hood and another next to the rear seat
  • Odyssey size 31 deep cycle battery (the largest battery you can buy)
  • Twist lock connector in bed for ARB fridge
  • Multiple 12V cigarette lighter outlets and USB outlets in bed
  • Wired for CB radio, HAM radio, and SiriusXM radio. Antennas are on front roof rack, connected through waterproof fittings to cab and terminate behind the dash. Ethernet connections for remote face HAM radio style.
  • ARB air compressor mounted under hood
  • Train horn under hood
  • Ultrasonic pest repeller (if camping around mice - this just WORKS to keep them out of your engine)
  • Yellow Box Speedometer calibrator - currently accurate to 0.1 miles per 100 miles.
  • Wired for Garmin GPS on driver's A-pillar
Stereo:
  • ATOTO Double din stereo w/ wireless Android Auto and Apple Car Play (Gaia w/ Android Auto is incredible for offroad GPS)
  • Stock speakers replaced with Bose 3-way speakers
  • Kenwood 400W amp under driver's seat
  • Clarion 400W 10" subwoofer under rear seat
Wheels & Tires:
  • BFG KO2 315-75-16 (metric equivalent to 35" x 12.5")
  • Stock wheels painted - can't beat the durability of steel wheels
  • Full size spare under bed
  • "Tubbed" to fit 35" up front without lifting the truck sky-high. Only very minor rubbing on the frame at full lock
  • Spidertrax wheel spacers on front
  • ARB air compressor
Engine:
  • AEM Dryflow Cold Air Intake
  • Custom windshield washer fluid reservoir (to clear tires)
  • Kept the engine stock - the 4.7L makes plenty of power and I didn't want to effect reliability
How she currently looks:

PXL_20231205_235043041.jpg

How she looked when I bought her:
IMG_3047.jpg

Last edited:

spazstic

Lives for the weekend
I'm going to start with trip pics and add build pics at the end. :D

Baja California, MX
PXL_20230407_152510319.jpg
PXL_20230405_164855224.jpg

Lone Pine (surrounding area), CA
PXL_20230304_235825633.jpg
PXL_20230304_205052433.jpg

Big Bear, CA
PXL_20230107_233336401.jpg

North Rim, Grand Canyon
DJI_0215.jpg
_MG_6647.jpgDJI_0208.jpg
_MG_6625.jpg

_MG_6569.jpg

spazstic

Lives for the weekend
Big Bear, CA
This was my daughter's first offroad / camping trip. Two weeks old!
_MG_7852.jpg

Lone Pine area, CA
_MG_6946.jpg
_MG_6838.jpg
_MG_6790.jpg
_MG_6794.jpg
_MG_6764.jpg
_MG_6752.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member