2008 F250 Build

shellb

Adventurer
Nice build! Can't wait to follow along...best of luck with everything.

Last edited:

dsw4x4

Adventurer
I run ssrs on both of my box style broncos. The first set I had I really liked on a jeep the wore and rode great and were quiet, only because it was light. The soft tread makes them go great in all conditions but makes them wear very fast on a heavy truck or on a rock crawler with a lot of hp. The set on my street bronco (box style) has had a lot of issues with breaking belts and the 33 inch tire looks like a 37 inch tall egg. So far I have had three tires do this once while the truck was sitting in the drive way. I would stay away from them if it was me, they are old designs there are newer better tires out there now.
Derek

OTR

Adventurer
Look into a set of Firestone Destination M/T in a load range E. I had a set on my tundra with a Northstar pop up a couldn't have been happier. Great tire and is underrated.

Last edited:

Desert Drifter

Observer
Congrats on the Super Duty!!!! What a great platform you have!!! I have SSR's on my 2000 TJ and love them. Other than that I am a Toyo MT fan so I guess I won't talk tires with you!!! :)

I am running an older '88 Northstar pop up on my lifted F150 that has been over some pretty rough stuff and suffered little damage. My fault. Had the top cinched down too tight!!!

I hope to upgrade to an F250 soon. I much prefer the solid front axle!!

As far as pop ups IMHO the FWC are the best for off road. With your 8' box you shouldn't have much trouble locating a sweet used Grandby.

Keep the updates coming!!!!

gm4x4lover

Observer
What you need to focus on is load index instead of ply rating. Ply rating mostly correlates to air pressure which is mostly irrelevant.

GTABurnout

Explorer
If I were to buy a diesel I would buy a Cummins, but it doesn't do anything for me that is worth the premium price. Hence, the Ford with a 5.4. I really cared more about the gears than the engine.

Problem with a cummins is it comes with a dodge. I hate the dodge part of my truck I would much rather have a F250 with a cummins....

Rot Box

Explorer
Nice truck! I really like what you've done so far and you did well with the options list and drivetrain :bike_rider:

I have owned many Super Swampers and they make a great tire, but I am so in love with my 255/85 KM2s on my Ford that I will buy another set just like them when the time comes. Either way I would go E rating period.

BCHauler

Adventurer
If I were to buy a diesel I would buy a Cummins, but it doesn't do anything for me that is worth the premium price. Hence, the Ford with a 5.4. I really cared more about the gears than the engine.

I am exactly the same. For my purposes, a 5.4 would have been my 1st choice in my f250. It's just that my truck was such a deal that I had to take it, v10 and all. If and when the v10 packs it in, a 5.4 will likely replace it.

silvrzuki77

explorer
Hey there liking the build so far. I have a 03 xtra cab 7.3 im building waiting to get more done before I do a build up. Anyways for your skid plates take a look at asfir4x4.com they have been makin stuff for awhile but finally came to the US. Have a good superduty selection. They have fuel tank skids but not listed on their US site. Lookin forward too more.:sombrero:

ktn00000

Observer
Searching Diff Guards for the 60 in the front, there is a lot of selection. However for the Sterling 10.5 there seems to be pretty much nothing in terms of bolt on protection. Met with a friend for a beer tonight and thinking we will build one. Did that on a Ford truck a long time ago and it worked out quite well (it was battle tested !).

Also thinking about getting the Ford gas tank skid plate then at a later date using it as a pattern to build a quarter inch steel gas tank skid plate.

Fun fun stuff!

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Wise move on passing on a Super Duty with a diesel! I know the 6.0L and 6.4L way too well and you don’t want one of those if you plan on keeping the truck past 100,000 miles. I have a Silverado with that same S6-650 6 speed manual transmission. Great transmission! Odd that Ford pairs a manual trans to electric shift 4x4 though especially in work truck decor. That is probably one option you will eventually wish you didn’t have. The electric shift will be one of the first things that will leave you in a pickle when you need it to work the most. There isn’t a single manufacturer that isn’t having problems with the electric shift soccer mom option especially in cold weather.

I dig the standard cab! With a little bit of lift and decent tires, you should have no problems tackling the trails you mentioned in your first post.

OTR

Adventurer
My 07 tundra has the soccer mom shift on the fly 4x4 switch and has worked flawlessly at -40.

ktn00000

Observer
About the only two options on this truck are the silly steps and electric shift 4x4. Steps will be getting removed (by me before they get removed by a rock).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk