2008 Nissan Pathfinder R51? or Armada?

stioc

Expedition Leader
Yes, you can fit 16" wheels like this Sema show truck:

nissan-rch-pathfinder-photo-165801-s-429x262.jpg

This black beauty starts with a three-inch suspension lift by Bilstien and Trailmaster, with 16x9-inch Simulated Bead Lock Rims from Pro Competition Tire Company wearing 33-inch Xterrain Tires tucked into the wheelwells. From there, RCH added PIAA off-road lights and moved to the interior, which features custom Katzkin covered seats, a Garmin navigation system, and Rockford Fosgate audio/video. Under the hood are a variety of performance upgrades including a K&N performance filter and custom Gibson exhaust.

:)

telemike

SE Expedition Society
I'm seeing Armadas for not much more than a pathfinder. Bigger pumpkins and a V8. Two front tow hooks and 9100lb towing. Hmmmmm

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4

telemike

SE Expedition Society
Found a few companies making winch bumpers and tactical force for sliders

stioc

Expedition Leader
They're both good choices but all depends on what your needs are :)

V8 is available in the Pathfinder and the Nissan diffs are typically bulletproof (minus some earlier Titan rear diffs from what I've heard). While the bigger interior etc are an advantage on the Armada the weight and size could also be a disadvantage. My Pathfinder has gotten 'around' obstacles that the larger trucks had to take head on...in the end it's all relative :)

Of course I hate to say this but personally if I had the money I'd go for the new 4Runner Trail Edition I find it to be the perfect daily-driver/exploration truck. Second choice, I'd get the previous gen 4Runner TrailEd (a V8 if you want) throw some ICON+TotalChaos suspension, 32"/33" tires and some armor and you have a *VERY* capable machine with loads of aftermarket support. Interestingly enough for some reason these previous gen 4Runners don't command the same ridiculous Toyota resale value that other gens or models do. The LandCruiser 100 is another similar example vs. the overpriced 80 series.

Yes I'll go hang my head low while I stand in the corner pondering why I have such a potty mouth :D

mortonm

Expedition Leader
They're both good choices but all depends on what your needs are :)

V8 is available in the Pathfinder and the Nissan diffs are typically bulletproof (minus some earlier Titan rear diffs from what I've heard). While the bigger interior etc are an advantage on the Armada the weight and size could also be a disadvantage. My Pathfinder has gotten 'around' obstacles that the larger trucks had to take head on...in the end it's all relative :)

Of course I hate to say this but personally if I had the money I'd go for the new 4Runner Trail Edition I find it to be the perfect daily-driver/exploration truck. Second choice, I'd get the previous gen 4Runner TrailEd (a V8 if you want) throw some ICON+TotalChaos suspension, 32"/33" tires and some armor and you have a *VERY* capable machine with loads of aftermarket support. Interestingly enough for some reason these previous gen 4Runners don't command the same ridiculous Toyota resale value that other gens or models do. The LandCruiser 100 is another similar example vs. the overpriced 80 series.

Yes I'll go hang my head low while I stand in the corner pondering why I have such a potty mouth :D

We will forgive you, for now

My budget is 15-20k if I gave to replace my H3

I would think for 15 to 20 k you could get a really nice 100 series with a V8, rear locker and rediculous afternarket support. All while being more capable than the pathfinder or Armada.

telemike

SE Expedition Society
Ha, Land Cruisers are so overpriced around here as well as Sequoias.

2003 LCs go for same price as 2008 Nissans

bushnut

Adventurer
talk about over priced, up here in Canada I saw a 2001 4runner advertised at over $10,000!!! holy cr*p for a 12 year old car. I am very happy with my 2000 R50 I bought for $7000 less!

stioc

Expedition Leader
2005+ 4Runners can be had from $12-$17k here
2010+ 4Runners go from $24k-$36k depending on mileage, trim etc.
2000-2003 Landcruisers between $8-20k (huge spread because some have close to 300k miles on them yet they're in great shape e.g. http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/3983298629.html)

Just KBB them and ignore the asking prices.

As for Nissan, absolutely, they offer a great value in the used car market they just don't have the same aftermarket support and or will have the resale demand later on as with a 4Runner/LC. This is important especially when you put money into it. I have a lot of $$ tied up in mine (experimenting with stuff costs more because of the lack of aftermarket support/info etc) and while I'm 100% happy how it turned out I'm also going to have to keep it for a long time to get my money's worth. Oh and yes I too started with the idea of 'just a small lift and tires and that's all' :)

Of course, if you choose to go the Nissan route I would love to see a nice expedition prep'd R51 or an Armada because we need more Nissans here. Something different than everyone else is always mo-better in my book :D

telemike

SE Expedition Society
If I could talk the wife into it, I'd take a serious look at an Armada 4x4. Buy the factory skid plates, 2" spacer lift, some 33-34" tires, take off running boards. Then maybe a winch bumper and winch. Not sure if there are any lockers for the nissan diffs.

skibum315

Explorer
Not sure if there are any lockers for the nissan diffs.
Not 100% sure about the r230 IRS rear diff in the Armada, but I think there's one (ARB maybe?) for that ... there are lockers for the other new-gen diffs though. The only one I'm really not sure about is the V6 IRS diff that would be in the R51 rear.

The m226 rear solid axle (Titan & Xterra & Frontier), has the factory e-locker and an ARB air locker, the c200k rear (Xterra & Frontier) has an ARB available; in the front the r180a (V6 IFS) has an ARB available & the m205 (V8 IFS) has an ARB in development.

NmexMAX

Not 100% sure about the r230 IRS rear diff in the Armada, but I think there's one (ARB maybe?) for that ... there are lockers for the other new-gen diffs though. The only one I'm really not sure about is the V6 IRS diff that would be in the R51 rear.

The m226 rear solid axle (Titan & Xterra & Frontier), has the factory e-locker and an ARB air locker, the c200k rear (Xterra & Frontier) has an ARB available; in the front the r180a (V6 IFS) has an ARB available & the m205 (V8 IFS) has an ARB in development.

There is a carrier break on the R230, and only overseas R230's with the 3.54 and up FD are compatible as a drop in locker option (RD137) from ARB. The M205 up front for the V8 Pathy/Titan/Armada from ARB will be coming out with a front locker near the end of the calendar year like you said.

https://ruggedrocksoffroad.com/niss...y-arb-m205-2004-preorder-deposit-p-57977.html

I love my R51, with a 6" lift, and 35's with 3.36 QX56/Armada tow gears. Extended RadFlo coilovers with external reservoir, notice the very friendly approach angle:

Warn M8000, TAG front bumper, 325 65 18's, RadFlo rear shocks, and front coilovers, extended travel front UCA's, Cajun B-pipes and a magnaflow muffler.

Not a total rock crawler, but definitely capable when needed and not to mention comfortable NAV/DVD/Bose/Leather. ~ 14" front clearance (to skid plate) and about 16" for the rear diff.

skibum315

Explorer
The M205 up front for the V8 Pathy/Titan/Armada from ARB will be coming out with a front locker near the end of the calendar year like you said.
;) ... I'm on the pre-order list. When that comes in, it'll be going into the new m205 in my garage along with 4.10:1 gears from Superior ... my m226 will get its own ARB and 4.10s and new bearings & seals at the same time. It's all going into my '08 Xterra Offroad ... :wings:

There is a carrier break on the R230, and only overseas R230's with the 3.54 and up FD are compatible as a drop in locker option (RD137) from ARB.
At the risk of derailing the thread a bit, I thought I remembered reading something from The Nissan Path (Pathy forum ... I'm guessing NmexMAX is over there, too) about that, but was posting from my phone before so couldn't track it down again ... thought I remembered someone (ragpaoa, maybe ... screen-name spelling may be off, apologies) had gotten that locker to work on a US r230, but I don't know the details ... higher ratio gears imported from abroad? Spacer on the ring gear to run gears below the split? Turn-down the mounting surface of the ARB? Any info?

At any rate ... you probably guessed, I like Pathys too, even if I am an Xterra guy ... actually would love to have some free cash to do a pretty hard-core R51 V8 build, maybe when their prices come down a bit (haven't seen any used ones for less than $17k around here) ... or maybe when my VQ40 gives up the ghost; then I'll be ready for a bit more of a project. NmexMAX, yours is looking pretty good!

telemike

SE Expedition Society
What kind of lift is that to get 35's? Wht I love about my H3 is bone stock I can fit 35's, I have the optional 4:1 transfer case and 4.56:1 axle gears. What I don't love is the 3.7 I5 is not torquey on the low end, but has great power from 3500-redline (pcm tuned). Interior space is not the greatest.

The Pathfinder and Armada are my choice if I need to tow a 5000# trailer I may get from father-in-law. Most likely the Armada. A rear locker or LSD for the R230 would be nice.....

NmexMAX

;) ... I'm on the pre-order list. When that comes in, it'll be going into the new m205 in my garage along with 4.10:1 gears from Superior ... my m226 will get its own ARB and 4.10s and new bearings & seals at the same time. It's all going into my '08 Xterra Offroad ... :wings:

At the risk of derailing the thread a bit, I thought I remembered reading something from The Nissan Path (Pathy forum ... I'm guessing NmexMAX is over there, too) about that, but was posting from my phone before so couldn't track it down again ... thought I remembered someone (ragpaoa, maybe ... screen-name spelling may be off, apologies) had gotten that locker to work on a US r230, but I don't know the details ... higher ratio gears imported from abroad? Spacer on the ring gear to run gears below the split? Turn-down the mounting surface of the ARB? Any info?

At any rate ... you probably guessed, I like Pathys too, even if I am an Xterra guy ... actually would love to have some free cash to do a pretty hard-core R51 V8 build, maybe when their prices come down a bit (haven't seen any used ones for less than $17k around here) ... or maybe when my VQ40 gives up the ghost; then I'll be ready for a bit more of a project. NmexMAX, yours is looking pretty good!
Yup, in order to equip the current RD137 from ARB into USA R230's, there's a slight offset from the R&P that need to be machined.

yup! I am on that list too, can't wait because right now I'm all open ended (no pun intended) and liable to get stuck with 1 tire/wheel in the air, and the ABLS isn't the best for those situations, kinda why I got the winch, 1 more option for recovery!

I looked at all 3, Xterra, Pathy, Armada. Armada was too big for my needs. Xterra was awesome, and ALMOST got one, but I have 2 fairly big dogs, and it might be a little cramped for space, and that's why the Pathy caught my attention, just so happened to find the V8 at a good deal, so that was the deciding factor, V8 + good deal.

It's the common Calmini lift + RadFlo coilovers and rear lift springs. The VK56 is very nice on the low end, even with only 3.36's and 35's. I wish the V8 Pathy was more OR orenited like the Frontier and Xterra. Not even a factory locker is available with the V8 and all the OR packages aren't available with the V8.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3