2009 Poptop Suburban Stealth Camper

Hi Portal family,

Behold a very rare, very unique camper rig. It goes without saying that there is a different tool for every job, and possibly a different vehicle for everyone's needs, but without a doubt if what you see here is what you want, you will most likely never see another one like it. If you want the daily drivability of a modern SUV, easy access to the living area compared to a truck bed camper, and off-road performance combined with a solid 4x4 system this may be for you.

Chassis: 2009 Chevrolet Suburban
  • Very popular and easy to work on 5.3l V8 with 4 cylinder eco mode on the freeway.
  • 2 wheel drive with selectable 4x4 hi & low transfer case.
  • Fox 2.5” coil overs capable of a 3” lift, currently set at 1” lift.
  • Camburg Upper Control arms to mitigate ball joint stress and allow more wheel travel by extending the down travel almost 20%.
  • 285/75/17 Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT all terrain tires
  • Rough Country 40” X5 light bar with 21,600 lumens.
  • Tire pressure monitors and AUX hookups.
  • Regular maintenance including new front AD Delco pads and rotors, Front CV axles, Fluid changes in all axles transfer case and transmission, and a brand new windshield.
  • Currently my daily driver at 120,000 miles.

Pop top construction:
  • Fiberglass composite shell with 1” of rigid insulation lined with upholstery.
  • Factory roof rails.
  • Reinforced roof opening with 2” steel angle bolted into the factory cross members and roof seams via grade 8 hardware.
  • Recessed LED lights.
  • Over 6’ 4” of standing height when elevated
  • Fully operable and lockable from inside the vehicle with only one person.
  • No need to have the top popped for sleeping.

Expedition features:
  • Webasto Airtop 2000 with a digital thermostat running of the vehicles petrol tank.
  • Secondary 100 AH battery mounted in the engine compartment and charged off the vehicle's alternator via a 12v relay when the engine is on.
  • Dometic CFX 35 fridge / freezer stacked behind a custom center console storage area.
  • 5 gallon fresh water tank, water pump, wash down shower, sink faucet, and a direct drain grey water system.
  • Queen width mattress, 3” of organic latex on top of 4” of CertaPur foam.
  • Under bed storage clearing 6” for ski boots, skis, and helmets.
  • Kitchen galley access from inside or outside the vehicle.
  • 3 soft close and carpet lined drawers for all your storage needs.
  • Exterior galley and rear hatch lights for cooking and packing at night.
  • Bed platform is completely removable with no tools and can lay flat for storage of larger items.
  • The factory rear suburban seats would fit, however, I do not recommend running them do to the roof modification.

Asking $33k
Parker : 858 395 1354
Parkonufer@gmail.com

Known issues:
  • Fender bender fully repaired by Geico and subsequently scratched while parked in a lot. (see the front left corner of the bumper)
  • Front right headlight needs to be polished.
  • Tire rubs UCA at full full lock only. Typically I avoid full lock regardless so it is not an issue for me.
    DSC03739.jpg
    DSC03740.jpg
    DSC03743.jpg
    DSC03747.jpg
    DSC03751.jpg
    DSC03752.jpg
    DSC03753.jpg
    DSC03757.jpg
    DSC03764.jpg
    DSC03765.jpg

1range here are some more photos of the interior! Thanks for checking it out.

Attachments

• DSC03770.jpg
    DSC03770.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1,061
  • DSC03771.jpg
    DSC03771.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1,030
  • DSC03772.jpg
    DSC03772.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,025
  • DSC03773.jpg
    DSC03773.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 1,038
  • DSC03774.jpg
    DSC03774.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,031
  • DSC03775.jpg
    DSC03775.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 994
Very cool combo! Who did the nice camper convo work on this?

Are there any windows in the pop top? Couldn’t tell from the pics.

I did all of the fabricating and pop too build myself. It’s custom shaped from rigid insulation and wrapped in fiberglass like you would make a surfboard.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
From the pictures, it looks like a real quality interior build you have here.
It’s a pretty awesome idea to have a camperized hi top on the suburban.

I looked into doing this same thing a few years ago and Colorado Camper Vans said yes, they would put a pop up roof on a suburban, but I never could find a newer low mileage truck making it worth that pricey investment.

And now I find that (too late for me!) that you’ve built basically the same cool rig...and that you are selling it at a reasonable price too! GLWTS

From the pictures, it looks like a real quality interior build you have here.
It’s a pretty awesome idea to have a camperized hi top on the suburban.

I looked into doing this same thing a few years ago and Colorado Camper Vans said yes, they would put a pop up roof on a suburban, but I never could find a newer low mileage truck making it worth that pricey investment.

And now I find that (too late for me!) that you’ve built basically the same cool rig...and that you are selling it at a reasonable price too! GLWTS

Thank you so much for for the kind words! Out of curiosity are you willing to share how much it was going to cost with CO Camper?

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
I believe that just the pop top installation was approximately right at or under about $10 k

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3