2010? 2011? Land Cruiser photos

DarioCarrera

Adventurer
Lets hope I dont get flamed too much for saying this but here it goes:

In my opinion American costumers have always changed cars for new ones much faster than the rest of the world, this lead to domestic car companies change car designs, and/or names rather frecuently, but the changes are mostly superficial. In its evolution the Taurus (to name a popular sedan) evolved from one body style to the next swiftly but the car itself was pretty much the same thing. Domestic trucks have a tendency to be like that although I will admit they change slower that the smaller cars. US car manufacturers dont have a real evolution as would a car somewhere else in the world.

In Europe cars evolve slower, body style doesn't change as often, changes are more subtle but the cars models last longer. It is worthy to note that within Europe there are different car philosophies as well (british, Italian, and German are worlds apart)

In Asia the changes are radical, but the quality of the cars is simply incredible.

The car market and industry simply is different than elsewhere in the world.

The SUV has indeed been more about style than substance, in this I agree with redthies. But there are reasons for this one of them is that most parts of the US can be reached with a sedan, there is almost no reason for SUBSTANCE 4x4's. When you need a 4x4 an AWD car, wagon or truck will do the job. I think there is less and less use or need for a 4x4 these days in the US.

Here in Venezuela (for example) where roads are poorly constructed, are damaged quickly, washed away by rain, or simply have potholes evey other meter, a 4x4 is simply more needed than very indurialised countries
that have very good road systems.

In 2000, I was living in Chicago, I walked in to the Toyota dealership to ask for a Stickshift 4Runner, the salesman was awestruck (Sp??) He started telling me about the resale value and all these reasons to get an Automatic. I simply told him I DONT LIKE AUTOMATICS. He said he'd look one up for me and 6 weeks later he called me to tell me that he had found one in Baton Rouge (if memory serves me right)... As you may imagine I had already bought a car.

I recently changed my 1993 80 series land Cruiser, for another 80 series land Cruiser, this time a 2004. (most of the world had them 'till 97, we produced them until 2007) I wont settle for less, the realiability I got from land Cruisers is simply amazing.

I'd like to see the number Toyota gives to the new LD land Crusiers.

Again, no offense to anyone!

discotdi

Adventurer
Care to elaborate on what technology was lifted?

If you read the article from the link it talks about adding a "terrain response system much like LR" and it speaks to a rise in the level of luxury a la Range Rover. Not the exact quote did not feel like reading it again. Although the pictures look like it has a long way to go in that dept. As I said Toy. is always trying to keep up with LR! Enjoy!:beer:

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
If you read the article from the link it talks about adding a "terrain response system much like LR" and it speaks to a rise in the level of luxury a la Range Rover. Not the exact quote did not feel like reading it again. Although the pictures look like it has a long way to go in that dept. As I said Toy. is always trying to keep up with LR! Enjoy!:beer:

Dang, you got us there. You win LOL :bowdown:

brentbba

Explorer
By that I guess you mean making 7000lb blingy luxury cars for "footballers" (as Jeremy Clarkson would say)?

Sad, but so true! I couldn't even convince either of my two kids to learn to drive a stick. Both my wife and I drive sticks! My LC has become a weekend adventure truck. Commuter car is the stick.

Pokey

Adventurer

LOL- go to 4:41 in the video----good example of the control of that "lifted" technology by the LR. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMhOhT5nwZk&feature=related

my favorite quote via the LR biased reviewer-- "thats quite horrible actually" hehehe.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
LOL- go to 4:41 in the video----good example of the control of that "lifted" technology by the LR. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMhOhT5nwZk&feature=related

my favorite quote via the LR biased reviewer-- "thats quite horrible actually" hehehe.
I agree, that is a very funny part of that vid. n However:

Watch it all the way to the end... He recomends, says he owns and says he WOULD AGAIN BUY the Landcruiser. So while in reality I think he's pretty fair if not a bit contradictory... He praises the 70 series's On-road manners and Engine and actually says "Front and rear lockers are the Best..." But accurately points out that they have some side effects (lockers, not Land Rovers ;) ) and simply, IMO is pointing out some very accurate things for the les-informed buyer. The Landie Does things more seamlessly with less input required from the Driver(both to it's credit and dissmay). Lockers take a person to engage in the 70 Series and I've even forgotten to lock the hubs from time to time rendering the Mighty 70 Series USELESS against the mighty 3ft. "bump" I was trying to get over (yeah I kept that one to myself when I got back to the station that night ;) ) . I'll agree that the film is a bit contradictory but as I originaly said, his final statement pretty much sums it up...

AS much as I LOVE my old 4Runner, I REALLY mis the 70's, both ute and Troupys, almost daily. For me, I like the rough ride, I like driving a TRUCK, it reminds me of being outside locked in Lo having fun. It reminds me of getting up every mornign to "run the waters" for trhe catle... frankly a rough old truck keeps the country boy in me from going nuts in the city. To me an FJ40's ride and leafs in general are fine with me. I just love riding along in my truck, I like every jolt and jerk and I like rowing through the gears enjoying the machinery that I'm comanding.. Call me nostalgic or a daydreamer but THOSE are the things I Like about Driving Cruisers and 4wd's in general. My Dirty old Toyota makes me happy when I;ve had a horrible day in the ER, (wich is a pretty bad day if you can imagine it...) I litteraly get excited to get in her and fire her up and bounce off.

Yeah I like my old Toyota. I've had Jeeps before, but NONE of them made me as happy as this old 4Runner, this is, to me "just one of those trucks" that are awesome. Lately I've been tossing around the idea of Getting another and making the smaller, more nimble 4Runner into a Trail only Toy.
It will either be a 60 or an 80, although a 55 would be AWESOME I don't know if I have the patience to spend saving one. THe question now becomes can I live with the 80's somewhat more "insolated" cabin to have a newer truck, or Do I go 60ser and just build it like I want to... I think I'm leaning to the 60 for all the resons listed above ;) ...

Cheers

Dave

Last edited:

DBS311

Adventurer
Can't watch the videos or look at the pics from work, but I'm assuming it's like the 2010 4Runner. I like how they moved away from the t-case "dial" and went back to a lever.

I'm still upset the 200 lost the lever.

KevinNY

Adventurer
That thing is even uglier than the new Sequoias. As far as the LR bashing, the posters I've read have absolutely no clue as to the capabilities of the new generation Range Rovers and are just being immature. Terrain response does so much (that I guarantee you will actually like if you drove one) that knocking it is just silly. I own both LR and a 97 Land Cruiser so don't have a dog in the fight either way. But drive a new Range Rover offroad and you will be left slack jawed as to where it will go. Would I go seriously rock crawling with either truck? Of course not.

haven

Expedition Leader
The new, smaller Land Cruiser has been formally introduced in Europe. It appears that the "Prado" name will not be used. The big Land Cruiser will be called the Land Cruiser V8, and the model based on the new Prado/4Runner will simply be called Land Cruiser.

lexus-gx460.jpg

The Euro Land Cruiser has a full set of off-road traction aids. All models will be equipped with
-- Full-time All-wheel drive with Torsen limited slip differential.
-- Active Traction Control, Multi-Terrain ABS and Vehicle Stability Control (VSC)

To compete with Land Rover LR4, top-of-the-line Land Cruisers will be equipped with
-- Multi-Terrain Select (MTS), with four driver-selectable modes
-- Crawl Control
-- Adaptive Variable Suspension with Active height Control
-- Multi-Terrain Monitor front and side view cameras

Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System (KDSS) will be an option on the most expensive model.

This is the model we will see in Lexus showrooms in 2010 as the GX460. it remains to
be seen how many of these off-road traction aids are offered on the GX460.

uzj100

Adventurer
Gx460?

I wonder if the 2010 GX460 available in the USA will have fulltime 4wd with all the goodies (MTS, Crawl Control, rear diff lock, KDSS, etc) of the Trail Edition 4Runner. I like the new 4Runner however I prefer to drive a fulltime 4wd vehicle.

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
The current GX470 has full time 4x4, so it's likely that the new GX460 will, too.

The new 4.6L V8 is expected to provide a healthy boost up to 300+ hp and 320+ ft-lbs. The 4.7L V8 used in the GX470 produces about 265 hp, 313 ft-lbs. Toyota says the 4.6L also gets significantly better gas mileage, compared to the older 4.7L design.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3