2010 Jeep Patriot gets improved off-road performance

b52

patriot

The tranny isn't good at all. It drives like a single speed moped, 1 solid gear all the way through, which, is the intention or the design of the CVT style tranny. I just don't think it should be in the patriot. It revs the crap out of the motor and stays high up in the rpm's for a good 5-8 seconds when it does it's version of a downshift. It just feels as if the motor is going to blow. Take one for a test drive and you will see what I am talking about.

As for it being a capable off roader/expedition vehicle it does the job very well (if the right tires are on it). Go on youtube and watch the patriot shred through mud, snow and water like it's nothing. For what it is, it is very capable especially with the trail rated package. I think it would be a perfect expedition vehicle considering the fuel costs these days. It's got plenty of room and the 4 banger in there is pushing almost 200 HP with an even torque curve. There are even lift kits out there (most lift possible is I believe the RRO 2" lift) and then there is this Aussie company who is selling a spring only lift kit which achieves about 1.75" of lift. Both lifts have not reported any drive line issues or "weak links" post lift.

If I do end up getting one, there will be a full on write up... If anyone has got one, PLEASE POST and let us know how your Patriot is holding up!

haven

Expedition Leader
Don't tell this guy that a Patriot won't work for ExPo travel

jeep-compass-venezuela.jpg

This is Freddy Sanchez exploring the marshy landscape of his homeland, Venezuela.
Rocky Road 2" lift kit, 17" wheels with 245/65R17 tires.

mountainsoul

Adventurer
^Isn't that a Compass?

On that side note: Are the Patriot and Compass the same vehicles underneath? Built off the Caliber platform?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk