2011 Jeep Patriot Latitude X (Trail Rated)

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I just did what I thought I'd never do. I ditched my Discovery II and picked up this cute little cup cake:

jeep-patriot-22_460x0w.jpg

WHY: I wanted a vehicle that could do 80mph on the interstate all day long so I could visit places way outside my normal exploring zones. I also wanted something with more than 23 mpg.

I think this rig will fit the bill. It does have the "Off Road" package with a few factory skid plates, added 1.5" of clearance and a 19:1 gear ratio in low range. So, I will be able to do some off roading if just to reach that last camp site.

We opted for all the interior options available, so long road hauls will be very comfy.

Anyone know anything about these vehicles?

haven

Expedition Leader
Please keep us informed of your real world mpg, and the types of off-the-pavement driving you do.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I don't want to reinvent the wheel with this discussion, but maybe revive it. Scott did a fantastic review of this vehicle a few years ago. That can be found here:

http://www.expeditionswest.com/equipment/reviews/patriot/index.htm

My initial impressions:

Exterior - It's a Jeep. Not the sexiest looking thing on wheels, but classic in it's own way. For a compact SUV, it has approach and departure angles that are probably only rivaled by the Forester. The new Outback had the worst such angles of the vehicles we looked at.

Interior - The early gripe with the first years of the Patriot were frequent mentions of cheap plastic components. We opted for full leather, Nav, and all the trimmings we wanted for long road trips. Pretty darn comfy if you ask me. Everything feels very solid. Road noise is minimal even if engine noise is a bit much. Nothing the sound system can silence. :)

Power - I haven't found it yet, but when I do I'll let you know. This thing might be the most underpowered vehicle I've ever owned. But, that will hopefully make visits to the pump less aggrivating. It is gutless. As Dan Neil said about a similar slow car, "Zero to sixty is a lot like child birth - noisy and takes forever." It's not slow enough to be annoying, but it is something to keep in the back of your mind in brisk traffic.

Our Patriot has yet to break in, so MPG should improve slightly. Our first road jaunt with lots of miles on mountain roads yielded 23.5 mpg for 120 miles. Around town we're in the neighborhood of 19 mpg. Not fantastic numbers, but better than we'd get from the next bump up, the Liberty.

The gas tank is a teeny 13.5 gallons. Odd.

I do like it, though.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
My initial impressions:

Exterior - It's a Jeep. Not the sexiest looking thing on wheels, but classic in it's own way. For a compact SUV, it has approach and departure angles that are probably only rivaled by the Forester. The new Outback had the worst such angles of the vehicles we looked at.

Marisa has a 2007 (first model year). It's kind of ugly, but the only real limiting factor we have found is the break-over angle. Of course - she didn't buy it for rock-crawling, so it has only been somewhat limiting to the places she wants to go with it.

Interior - The early gripe with the first years of the Patriot were frequent mentions of cheap plastic components.

Marisa hates the interior - but honestly, there have only been two parts break: The shift boot (replacement cost = $7), and the cover for the lower anchor point on drivers side seat belt (haven't replaced it yet). She has 60K miles on it - so it really isn't what I would call 'failure prone', but it does feel cheap and plasticy. (is that a word????)

Power - I haven't found it yet, but when I do I'll let you know.

Don't bother looking for that power - it isn't there. Marisa's has the 4-cyl/manual trans. Taking off from a stop is painful sometimes - but once it is going, it floats down the freeway with ease. If you can keep your speed up, it will climb the hill on I-17 heading north out of PHX in 5th gear @ 75mph without too much complaining. Get stuck behind a truck in the fast lane though, you're screwed. It will take forever to get your speed back.

Our Patriot has yet to break in, so MPG should improve slightly. Our first road jaunt with lots of miles on mountain roads yielded 23.5 mpg for 120 miles. Around town we're in the neighborhood of 19 mpg.

I've gotten better than 31mpg out of Marisa's on 3 occasions - each time was 99% freeway @ 70 - 85mph, and each time the outside temperature was sub 40*F (which is cold for this desert rat). Hers doesn't have cruise control, so that would probably get us a little better mileage too. Typical mileage is closer to 25 with mixed freeway/in-town driving in warmer climates (Tucson) - but we see that bump in mileage every time it's cold out and we are on the freeway.

We just installed a 2.5" lift on it (Rocky Road Outfitters - which is a poor quality kit, but that's a different topic), and went with a slightly larger tire (don't recall the size - something like a 230/70R16), and I have to say it looks a lot better. It doesn't look like a lifted vehicle - it just looks like it should have from the factory.

Overall, it's been a good car (yes, I just called it a car). 60K and no major problems - only cosmetic issues with the paint, the two previously mentioned interior parts, and cosmetic repairs from being rear-ended a couple times. It's big enough to sleep in, take a weekends worth of camping gear in (plus two dogs), with a couple of kayaks strapped to the roof &/or a couple bikes hanging off the back. It's not what I would go explore the great unknown with - but for your typical forest roads, or desert ranch-roads, it's fine.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Thanks, Brian.

Because we opted for the Freedomdrive II "offroad" package we lost probably 4mpg, but wanted at least some ability to get off the tarmac now and then.

I would agree with your "car" identifier. I'm really glad they redesigned the materials for the interior as it really is less plastic clad than previous generations. I think it's a bummer you have to shell out for the very top model to get out of the cheap Jeep feel.

We have the CVT transmission that isn't very fun to drive, but seems to work well once you get the hang of it. Ya, there is a method to a shiftless shifter. If you put your foot in it, which is more about volume than accelleration, the revs go bonko.

We'll see how she does. We've got three trips planned for next year, each involving 1,000+ mile drives on the open road.

By the way, we decided agains the similarly equiped Subaru Outback because it was a cool $35,000. That's a lot of dosh for a suby.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
We looked at Suby's too - just couldn't swallow the cost.

She was out the door just under 18K with the Patriot (new with no trade in). No trail rated package - just the base model 4wd. Unfortunately, it's got a single speed transfer case - does the "freedomdrive" have a 2-speed case? That's really the thing that I would like to have on Marisa's. The 4cyl doesn't build a lot of torque, so moving slow off road is tough with the manual transmission.

The interior on the early Patriots is particularly bad (the over all feel of it) - it's "plasticy-er" than my '03 TJ was.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
The Freedomdrive II system is pretty slick. On pavement power goes to the front wheels. When the traction control deems it necessary, 50% of the power goes to the rear. If you want, you can flip the 4WD lever and it "locks" the power to the four wheels an engages a few other off road systems relative to traction control, descent control, and braking. Dropping the transmission into low engages "Off Road" mode. That engages the 19:1 crawl ratio. I've only toyed with it, but I'd say it's better than anything else I looked at in this class of car.

The added 1.5" this package came with does give the car a proper stance. Who knows, we may look at a small lift.

scrubber3

Not really here
I think they did pretty good with it considering they built off of the dodge caliber platform. I had a friend that was able to get his gas mileage in the 30's. Not too sure how they do off road though considering his was a two wheel drive.

swift777

Love mine, just put a new set of Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S on her and the right tires make all the difference, as you say its a great daily driver and fun for some light offroading and its good in the winter due to the fact that its a lot lighter than most 4 x 4's. The CVT isn't the greatest tranny but the 2.4L 4 banger has quite a bit of get up and go if you squash the peddle.

Last edited:

Warn Industries

Supporting Vendor
I looked into buying one of these before buying a second Suzuki SX4 AWD. I was actually quite impressed when I drove the 2.4 liter with the manual transmission, which would've been the model we would've bought. As a die-hard shift-it-yourself guy, my compact, AWD options in the U.S. are limited to Subaru Impreza (more than we wanted to spend), Jeep Patriot/Compas, and Suzuki SX4 (AWD + 6-spd + lock mode). I ended up with the SX4 (a 2010 vs. a 2009 ... long story, don't ask!), but still really liked the Patriot. I've seen a few on JeepForum.com that look great, too. Of course, with the manual trans you don't get the "crawl" mode, but that would've been OK by me, as I've got my Suzuki Sidekick for the more difficult terrain. If my SX4 got squashed by a meteor this afternoon, I'd check the Patriot out again.
- Andy

Ted_Z

Adventurer
The latitude package is nice as you pick up heated seats too! I got to drive one as rental a couple weeks ago and liked it.

I own a '07, manual 2.4L. I don't mind the plastic interior as its easy to clean. It also has the stain resistant seats which it a plus with kids and a dog. Plenty of interior cargo space. The only mod's I've done to mine is upgrade the speakers and add an auto dimming mirrow with a compass built it (I think the latitude has the fancy mirror already).

The only complaint I have is I think one of my front ball joints is bad already with only 44K. This seems to be a common problem. The good news is there is a Moog replacement part now.

Visit www JeepPatriot com if you have a chance. Lots of great information.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
The latitude package is nice as you pick up heated seats too! I got to drive one as rental a couple weeks ago and liked it.

Dual-temp heated seats at that. We have every available option including leather, SatNav, premium audio, WiFi, and Bluetooth. We were able to negotiate a lifetime warranty, so all those widgets are covered. To get a similarly equipped Subaru Outback we would have had to pony up another $7800. That's a lot of dosh for what these vehicles are.

I've visited that forum a couple times. It's kinda funny to me. Some of those owners a pretty proud of their "mods." Such mods listed are things like upgraded shifter knobs and all weather floor mats. Not kidding. :)

haven

Expedition Leader
The Jeep.com web site shows the Patriot Sport 4x4 with Freedom Drive II off-road group and CVT with extra-low first gear would cost $20,625 before any dealer incentives. That's a decent deal for a new "trail rated" vehicle. The EPA rates mpg for this configuration to be 20 mpg city, 23 highway.

You'd have to shop for a two or three year old Forester or RAV4 to match that $20K price.

haven

Expedition Leader
"If my SX4 got squashed by a meteor this afternoon..."

I was surprised to find that my auto policy doesn't cover damage caused by falling spacecraft and meteorites. Those underwriters have sharp pencils.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner