2011 season bike purchase/build

trailsurfer

Explorer
I ordered a pair of ENVE rims last month. They're decorating my closet at the moment. I'm saving them for my Colorado Trail Race bike. Not sure what I'll ride for that romp. I may ride my current bike if I feel up for doing it on a singlespeed. Or, I may built up a 1x10. Don't know. Much to be learned in two weeks in Tucson.

Not that I have a vote, but I vote for the 1x10 for your first CTR. I can't imagine doing that race, let alone with only one gear.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Not that I have a vote, but I vote for the 1x10 for your first CTR. I can't imagine doing that race, let alone with only one gear.
Believe it or not, there's a certain amount of safety in that one gear. It's not about mechanical simplicity, it's about limited risk of pushing too hard. My last run from Silverton to Durango on the CT was an experiment to try a really low gear. That trip was a cake walk. Ride time was in the 16 hour range. That one low gear (32x25) prevented me from cooking it in the wrong gears. When I couldn't turn that gear, it was appropriate to walk anyway. My only concern with the CTR is a gear so low, I suffer on the flatter sections spinning my legs off. It works out to be a 10 mph gear at best.

However, 1x10 does sound like a better idea, doesn't it?

Kickapoo Tad

Back to the new purchases... not this year for me. I did it last year with my new Breezer Lightning. I am so happy to be on a hard tail again, although I do have a Thudbuster.

I used to travel the country for a bicycle fitting system and I had a Marin Mt. Vision 'cause I never knew what kind of trails I would be riding. Now that I don't travel and I know what kind of trails I will be riding, nothing beats a quick handling, yet stable at speed, well balanced hard tail on the trails of Wisconsin. I am SO glad that Joe is building Mountain Bikes again!

I will put some money into my old Hampsten steel road bike this year. Just new bearings, tires, and the like. I have thought about something new, but until I can afford a Moots. . .

thecriscokid

Explorer
Just hung some parts on my Tallboy today. Still need to run cables and chain. Next pic should be from somewhere in the desert as there's plenty of snow on the other side of that door

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 17

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Nice, crisco!

Took the El Mariachi on a shakedown ride last Sat. Or attempted to. Rode to the trail and too much snow. Rode in as far as I could, which wasn't far. I was really wanting a Pug at that point. That will be A 2012 build.

thecriscokid

Explorer
Thanks, Got it all finished up today. The TB has a couple of overkill parts like RF Atlas cranks and I need to re-lace the wheels (loose the straight gauge 2.0 spokes). Probably go with Stan's Arch and loose the tubes as well. Weighing in the welterweight class at 28.7lbs.
I think a Pugsley would be a really fun bike, especially this time of year when we are jonesing for a little single track. There are a couple of trails around here that stay packed for most of the winter and I occasionally ride them. Just not the same though. Fruita is always better this time of year!

thecriscokid

Explorer
I am actually considering the Flows. I just found a conversion kit for my old DT 440 (old FR) hubs, so I may build a light Stans Crest (mostly for my hardtail occasional race) and then the Stans Flows for my TB. Do you have experience with them?

Cackalak Han

Explorer
No personal experience, as I am 160lbs and ride mostly XC. Friend of mine (190-200lbs?) abuse his Flows and have had zero problems or even the need to be trued.

I need to pick up a wheelset, but will go with Crests.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
After years of not riding I hope to get back into it. Pulled the trigger on a 2010 Specialized Pitch Pro last week. Should ge here this week. My old bike is a 94 GT RTS1 which was a great bike in its day. Hoping to bring the new bike on trips too.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Nice deal on a Yeti asr/sl...new frame...xtr/xo build...
Will be nice to be back on a Yeti...my first was a "sherpa" from Golden, CO...

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
The rides:

ETA2010PitchPro-Rides.jpg

Got a great deal on the 2010 Pitch Pro

Cackalak Han

Explorer
ETA - looks like a sweet ride.

My spur of the moment purchase last week. I had an 08 Monocog and sold it, only to be plagued with regrets. Saw one locally for dirt cheap. Had to pick it up. My new dookie brown Monocog.

0bd04e55.jpg

bluedog

Adventurer
The GF is got this a few weeks ago. BMC Four Stroke. The plan is XX, SID fork, and some DT wheels. My guess is 18 to 19 lbs. when done.

100_0172.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater