2011 Tac Ideas

Newtac11

Observer
Ok, it's been a while. I've been busy prepping to retire from the military, but that's not important now.

What IS important, is that I have a $2500.00 budget for upgrades!

I am trying to decide on 2 of 3 options now:
Suspension
Front bumper
Rear bumper

Obviously one of these will have to be the suspension. Which leads to my next question. Trying to get as much as I can from local businesses, I am looking at this website http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.ph...rt&page=shop.browse&category_id=113&Itemid=72
This is not meant to be a shameless plug for a company, but so that you can see what I am looking at as a suspension option.
I like what the reiviews are on the OME suspension, but an unrelated installer has told me that he has noticed more rusting on the components. That has me looking at the 3" lift with the Bilstien 5100's.
Would love to get some input on that.

For either the front or rear bumper, I am looking to Armorology. They are right here in the Springs, and I like their work. If you look at the bottom of their main page, you will see the front bumper I'm looking at http://www.armorology.com/ The bumper without tubes is what I will probably go with to keep weight down....every 15 pounds count.

I'm leaning twords those 2 items, but am also looking at a rear swing out holding 3 fuel cans, and have a tow receiver.

Would love input on this.

Thanks,

Last edited:

4RunAmok

Explorer
I'd go for front bumper, because it's functional, holds a winch, provides better clearance, etc...

Rear bumpers are sacrificial! Replace it when you need to. The spare has a nice spot under the truck for now, so no hurry to have a swing-out.

That toytec website isn't loading, appears their hosting contract is up! lol

Besides, I'd focus more on icon anyway.

Newtac11

Observer
Fixed the link...I think.

I am leading towards the front bumper, as I do have a winch I will be installing slowly. (Need to get the Mile Marker install kit)

As for the Suspension, ICON is a little out of my price range. Pretty stuff, but a hefty price.

barlowrs

Explorer
I have had no issues at all with my OME, had it on for several years, and it spends more time under water than it probaly should :snorkel:, but no rust. It is a great setup. CBI makes great rear bumpers if you decide to go that route. I guess the front and rear is a tradeoff. Front will give you better approach angle, hold winch, etc. Rear will give you better departure angle (if you get high clearence) hold spare tire, cans, etc. I think usually most ppl (me included) started with front though. Guess it just depends on what you want first. At the end of they day, you will end up with them all..haha these things are money pits and once you start you never stop. :sombrero:

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
Armorology for sure - don't even consider any other options. Jed's bumper was my favorite upgrade of all the things I did with my Tacoma.

Newtac11

Observer
Quick update....

I ordered a lift from TOYTEC over the weekend. This one to be exact. I upgraded the springs a bit because I just thought the silver would look better under the truck than the red ones. (not trying to make a trailer queen here, but If I'm going to spend the money...why not color match it a bit.)

I also ordered Light Racing's upper control arms to keep everything in line.

One thing I did not do is order the Dakar rear springs. I decided to go with the AAL's for now, as I don't have any weight in the back. And I want to see how the AAL's do before I spend another 500.

Since I am not adding new shoes (plenty of tread left on what I have) I will probably have the lift adjusted to 1.5". I can raise it at a later time to 2.5" when needed. (right?)

I will drop the Taco off on Thurs, and pick up Monday. :wings:

I will also wait until a later time to put my zombie plow on the front...;)

Newtac11

Observer
TOYTEC Suspension Lift

Wanted to drive around on it a bit before posting.

I decided to leave the lift at full height, knowing it will settle some, and because the tires didn't look comedicly small under it.

Since I did not add any weight to the truck, the ride was very stiff at first, but after putting it to the test these past couple weekends, (Eagle Rock, and Hacket Gulch) and they seem to have softened slightly. I did have to get the rear U-bolts tightened again.

I am getting some slight axle wrap at start-up. The AAL's just cant seem to help out the pitiful 2 spring rears enough. I strongly recommend swapping the rear springs completely. I may drop the drive-shaft carrier a little to correct this until I swap the rear springs.

Overall, I'm pleased with it, and can't wait to add some load to the truck...but that's another project..

Attachments

• smDSC_0033.jpg
    smDSC_0033.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 35
  • smDSC_0034.jpg
    smDSC_0034.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 40
  • smDSC_0035.jpg
    smDSC_0035.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 43
  • smDSC_0037.jpg
    smDSC_0037.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 63

Newtac11

Observer
Thank you.
The build is on hold right now, as I am currently in Richmond Va. Helping my brother get a construction company up and running.

Last edited:

Newtac11

Observer
Build still in holding status.

Have found a permanent job in Galveston. Build will be starting back up within 6 months...fingers crossed.

StaticTaco

I'm planning on buy a new tacoma in the coming months and my ocd has made me research on modding to my liking. So far I've contacted ARE and Leer and both will not hold over 150lbs. Snugtop makes one that will hold 400lbs but that still isn't enough for me. One option I've found is the rack system that sits between the bed and cap and up around the sides of the cap. Not ideal.

My plans so far are icon stage 4 suspension, sliders, and continue to figure out the back. I ideally want a maggiolina on top of a cap if I can find one strong enough. Definitely new tires, most likely 285/70/16 and possibly powdercoat the stock rims if they will work with the icon.

What are your goals with this truck? Thanks for sharing your ideas.

btw I as well was with 1st CAV and was in Sadr City in 04-05.

I know this post is a little old but I see you were with Cav in Sadr City. So was I, HHC 2-5 CAV Camp War Eagle. Commo for C Co.

Sorry for the thread jack. Your build looks great!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues