2011 Tac Ideas

musty40

Observer
POR-15 can be used on its own or top coated with another color.

Lots of info on their web page. Also new metal has to be treated, POR (Paint Over Rust) is meant for seasoned metal.

Rhino liner wouldn't be a bad option either. No product will withstand hits for sliders, including PC. So pick something that can be touched up easily. Some bed liners are available in a rattle can.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Has anyone tried Rhino Liner on these? would it work?

Doc....can I get POR-15 at Lowes or Home Depot? And, are you saying to use the POR-15 as prep and primer? Sorry to ask such simple questions, but I have never painted metal...

I dont think so, I order mine online. Worth it as it is a very tough paint system. You need the "chassis black" for the topcoat as the basic POR is not UV resistant and will fade/degrade without topcoat. It all comes in kits of various sizes.

Newtac11

Observer
Just a quick note on current progress...

Since the rock rails had come in unfinished, and I found myself to be poorly equipped to drill holes in my frame and mount them myself, I did the smartest thing I could think of. I ran to Lowes, bought 4 rattle cans, and stopped rust until I could have a pro do it.

I have to agree with you DOC, rattle can has VERY poor durability qualities. I was looking at bare metal just moving them twice, but i wanted to make sure that rust didn't start kreeping in the nooks and crannies.

Anyway, I called up Jed at Armorology, and he is powder coating and mounting them for me. (It also gave me an excuse to malinger in his shop and drool at his ongoing projects.) I dropped the rails off Tuesday, took the truck in for a couple hours today so he could mock-up and drill the frame, and will take the truck back for a couple hours after the rails return from PC.

Boys and girls...lemme tell ya....While I was nosing around his shop, I became more and more impressed with their work. I am not a welder. I am not a metal worker...but I know what right looks like. I have never seen welds so smooth and uniform. And it's a refreshing change for me to be a customer for someone who (in my opinion) loves his job. He and I both knew I was rambling as I walked to each truck in the shop and asked many...many questions (even started planning future mods to my truck with him) never once did he even look at his watch.

Bottom line is, I found a business that I know I will be going back to. I know this because as I was walking out the door, I was thinking of things in the house I could sell to buy front and rear bumpers. :D

P.S Pics will be posted as soon as I figure out how to move them from my droid to my computer...

keezer37

Explorer
I've been hanging on to this link http://www.dominionsureseal.com/productsdetails.asp?id=372&catid=35 I think 4307 mentioned it awhile back.

Not sure what their track record is for durability but it sure looks easier to work with than POR15. I know y'all don't use rock salt in CO but FWIW, powdercoating does not hold up to it.
This spring I will be using DOM16 if I can find it or POR15 otherwise for the sliders and C-channels and hopefully I can take this off my spring time ritual.

4RunAmok

Explorer
Curious...

Since you took them to a welding pro, why didn't you have him weld the sliders on?

I had Demello Offroad weld their sliders on 4Runner, and I feel much more comfortable than relying on a bolt.

Your build SOUNDS nice so far. Can't wait to see pics.

Newtac11

Observer
Curious...

Since you took them to a welding pro, why didn't you have him weld the sliders on?

I had come to the conclusion that if they were damaged, or needed repainting, it would be easier and cheaper to remove and reinstall. I plan on doing the same with the bumpers....weld together, and bolt it on. Possibly giving up a little in structure for ease of maintenance.

Newtac11

Observer
OK...It's been a while, but I finally got the cable to pull the pics off my phone to post.

The first two are the day after arrival. You can already see rust starting on the weld joints. I rattle canned them until Armorology could get them powder coated and installed.

One mod down...Many, many more to go?

Attachments

• IMAG0044.jpg
    IMAG0044.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IMAG0045.jpg
    IMAG0045.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 62
  • IMAG0081.jpg
    IMAG0081.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 54
  • IMAG0083.jpg
    IMAG0083.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 81

tacoma_AL

Adventurer
Sliders look nice mounted up, just make sure you use the appropriate grade hardware if your bolting it on.

Like others, another good build going on right here good luck:victory:

freeze

Adventurer
My first recommendation is to NOT rattle can them - it wont hold up, especially on sliders, so while you have them off I'd POWDER COAT them. Otherwise, you'll be like me and repainting those suckers once or twice a year...

Powdercoating your slider's just ends up wearing off (especially if you unconsciously use them as a step) and of course just plain coming off when rubbed against hard objects... like rocks. Opening the possibility of rust to form under the powdercoat and fleck or peel off.

Rattle can allows for sanding down and touch ups instead of having to bead/sand blast the whole slider and re-powder coat.

If you're going to be using your slider's heavily, welding it on is the preferred method. Hard hits, pushes will try to loosen the bolts.

The downside to welding is if it's not done by a certified frame shop, your warranty can be negated if there is a recall or issue. The nice thing with the All-Pro slider's is they come with good hardware. The new slider's are great with the additional frame protection on the underside (wish I had these ones!)

Nice work on going armour first!! Skid plates and e-locker guards for sure!

Last edited:

musty40

Observer
I also opted for the bolt on variety. General consensus is that a well constructed/gusseted slider is the key. Not weld vs bolt-on.

Bartron

New to the Taco world, finally picked up a DC long bed for hauling the adventure bike in the dead of night and through the freeze.

Now that I've made the leap, seems like mod's are endless - just like with the bikes.

I've followed many of the Taco builds on here and look forward to yours with great interest as I contemplate my next moves to get my truck to where I want it.

Build on, brother!

barlowrs

Explorer
I agree with Freeze, I would shy away from Powder Coating the sliders, esp if you plan to use them (as sliders, not just steps). The first time you slide across a rock, you will create a rock painting with your several hundred dollar paint job, which, when you get home, you will learn is VERY hard to touch up and match the parts that didn't grind off.

If you use them, rattle can is the way to go. Tacodoc is right though, you will have to touch them up, however touching up rustolium is MUCH easier than powder coat (and if you use them, you will have to touch them up regardless if its powder coat or rattle can). The nice thing about rustolium is you can also paint it on with a paint brush, making on the rig touchups VERY easy.

I typically touch them up every few months if I use them a lot, if not you could get away with a few times a year. Just keep an eye on them when you actually slide on them, and touch them up when rust starts to form.

New to the Taco world, finally picked up a DC long bed for hauling the adventure bike in the dead of night and through the freeze.

Now that I've made the leap, seems like mod's are endless - just like with the bikes.

I've followed many of the Taco builds on here and look forward to yours with great interest as I contemplate my next moves to get my truck to where I want it.

Build on, brother!

Thread Jack:

Welcome to the board

End Thread jack!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater