2012 JKL Rubicon build

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Awesome work and write-up. Love the attention to detail - the black surrounds on the headlights are great.

Can't wait to see more, keep it up.

-Dan

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Great write up and jeep. I understand the "trying other vehicles and realizing you are nothing but a jeep guy" thing :)

Really enjoyed reading your write up and the use of all high quality parts. Eager to see what is next and that beast in use.

John

kleinrider

Observer
Nice write up; you've been busy! I have a question for you. Your Rokmen control arms look exactly like the arms I got with my Rock Krawler 2.5" Max travel lift (I only got the lower arms with mine). My question is how you've mounted them. The Rock Krawler instructions tell you to mount them the opposite of how you have them (the thick "bushing" side at the frame). Is there a benefit to mounting them the way you have them?

Sent using Tapatalk HD

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
they may look similar but they're entirely different animal all together. your rock krawler arms have a urethane clevite bushing on one end and on the other end rock krawlers proprietary "super heim" joint. the rokmen control arms eliminate rubber bushings all together by using Currie Johnny Joint spherical ball joints at each end of the control arm. one side has a barrel welded to the actual DOM tubing while the other end is milled and threaded to accept the forged johnny joint housing.

the front control arms are a litter different in that they have a bend half way through that is in place for the linear difference between the frame side mount and the axle side. the lower control arms on the axle side are mounted further towards center to keep the tires from rubbing on them at full lock, since the JK's center section of the frame is significantly wider than previous models. because of this bend there is a specific place to put it in to get the max clearance possible. with currie arms this is the best setup. there is also another reason though - the forged johnny joint housing ends are secured to the DOM with 2 1/2" Jam nuts. mounting this end on the frame side keeps the jam nuts up out of harms way for the most part, protecting them and the threaded housing. the orientation also allows for all the grease zerks to be placed ontop of the control arm so they dont get damaged and are still easily accessible.

in this picture you can see the orientation of the grease zerks
7305edec.jpg

here you can see the double jointed Rokmen arm vs the stock.
32981af4.jpg

here is a exploded view of a johnny joint
ce9110.jpg

08Silverado

Adventurer
Very Nice!

:Wow1:Very nice build indeed! I would like to have the amount of cash you have put on the jeep so that I could sink some more money in mine.

file.jpg

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
got the rigids mounted. didnt get a chance to do anything else. i got a stomach bug and had a fever, then the temperature dropped into the low 20s. sundays are usually my days with my daughter. my daughter and working on the jeep dont go hand in hand yet

FE25D860-7BCE-48C4-89FE-FA7A43C8D487-750-00000029EF1B712C.jpg

922928BA-D53D-40F7-8718-FDE3C36BE590-750-00000029E6CC90E3.jpg

unfortunately this weekend i have duty - so no work will get done on the jeep

08Silverado

Adventurer
Never mind I saw you installed the cobra 75. I've been trying to decide between this and the cobra 29 series. I like the 75 for its ability to be hidden but I've heard that the audio quality might not be too good. What do you think? How do you like the 75 vs the cobra 29 series?

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
the 29's are enormous. go to a truckstop and look at one. i had a cobra 19 in my TJ - i saved it when i sold it. i couldnt even find a place to mount that in the 11+ JK dash configuration. so i went with the 75.

from everything i can tell the 75 works perfect. the speaker isnt the loudest and sometimes its hard to understand people, but if thats a real issue you can upgrade to an external speaker. i have flipping awesome SWR meter numbers on this one, my range is about 3 1/2 miles on the interstate, about 1 mile in dense forrest.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
i went with a firestik II in 3 feet. works great for me. sticks above the roof line by about 6 maybe 7 inches

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy