2013 Ford Raptor SuperCrew build

Big50

Adventurer
So looking forward to this trip. Got most of my prep done today.

Kind of sucks removing the upper control arms because you have to remove the shocks in order to get to the bolts inside the shock tower. My buddy, Gordon, suggested just removing the top bolts of the shock and see if it would hang down low enough to remove the bolts. Happy to say it worked!

17005834845_7e67cc6d79_b.jpg

Saved me from having to remove the shock entirely. Also, something to keep in mind for guys installing new arms.

As I mentioned before, I've had a popping noise from the drivers side. I've torqued down the lower control arms so it wasn't them. Popping is usually is also indicative of uni balls of the upper arms wearing out so I figured it was that since he arms had close to 30,000 miles. So I ordered new uni balls from Kartec.

Well, turned out not to be the uni balls

16385719893_52098f7aaf_b.jpg

16818330150_4debf1ed3f_b.jpg

Nut had worked it's way loose. Kind of mad at myself for not catching it. Can't say how important it is to make sure you check everything before you go out on a run. This could have been a big problem next week.

Anyhow, we (I mean Gordon) proceeded with pressing in the new uni balls.

17005834545_53c0d7d922_b.jpg

FYI, Gordon's press was a little over $100 at Harbor Freight and worked like a charm.

Didn't have a chance to install the new mod, that will come tomorrow. Here's a hint :biggrin:

16798436767_f6eaae9409_b.jpg

wrmmt

Adventurer
Have kept an eye on your thread for a little now, that's a nice truck you have, looks like you've had some fun adventures with it as well! That sounds like a fun trip, that northern AZ southern UT area is one of my favorite places, although I don't get down there nearly as much as I would like to... If you're still looking for camp spots for the first night, you might check out the coral pink sand dunes area just north of Kanab. There's a fee campground in the park itself, but there is a free campground (google maps calls it Ponderosa Grove campground) near there off of Hancock rd, and there are a bunch of little tracks off of Hancock rd and Co 43 where you could just pull off and find a spot. Looking foreword to a report and pics when you get back!

Big50

Adventurer
Have kept an eye on your thread for a little now, that's a nice truck you have, looks like you've had some fun adventures with it as well! That sounds like a fun trip, that northern AZ southern UT area is one of my favorite places, although I don't get down there nearly as much as I would like to... If you're still looking for camp spots for the first night, you might check out the coral pink sand dunes area just north of Kanab. There's a fee campground in the park itself, but there is a free campground (google maps calls it Ponderosa Grove campground) near there off of Hancock rd, and there are a bunch of little tracks off of Hancock rd and Co 43 where you could just pull off and find a spot. Looking foreword to a report and pics when you get back!

Thank you so much for the tips. I've been actually looking for a good spot. I'll see if that works with the route. Cheers!

Big50

Adventurer
Ok, I got a Gobi Rack. They haven't quit released them yet but I'd seen a photo on facebook with a rack on a Raptor that looked like one of theirs. I messaged them and in fact they were developing one for the F150. 5 months later it showed up haha. I can't complain though. The workmanship is amazing and even came prewired through the tubing of the rack.

16840108629_61acd5ca19_b.jpg

The install didn't go as smoothly as it should have. They use jack nuts but we ended up abandoning them for nutserts. Once we did that things went much better until I stipped one of them, doh! I think Gordon wanted to slap me when I did that haha. He's a very methodical, read the instructions kind of guy. I'm a trial and error, don't worry things will work out kind of guy so I can get on his nerves sometimes.

Anyhow, we wrapped it up and I'm pleased with result. For now, all I have are cell photos. I'll have better pics when I get back from next weeks trip. There is also a wind fairing that comes with the rack but I can't use it due to the 50". I'm debating removing it. Until I do, I've got plenty of light haha!

16406093823_23c5713d49_b.jpg

16838701800_93d04565b6_b.jpg

16403924684_cb34a5b4f7_b.jpg

16843492688_0950218beb_b.jpg

16823866047_55e77c95a4_b.jpg

17005293976_94c1bab90a_b.jpg

16411128663_5fabbf9aa1_b.jpg

16843747040_5d7a157c66_b.jpg

wrmmt

Adventurer
Looking good! I was about ready to get a front runner for my topper, but I may have to take a second look now. That Gobi is looking pretty sweet, I'm liking the pre-wired part. What are the dimensions on that rack?
Stumbled into that area last summer heading down for a backpacking trip with some friends, its probably about 15 minutes out of Kanab, which was nice since we had come unprepared for food for a couple days...

Big50

Adventurer
Looks nice.
Second pic down......your alot younger than i expected. Makes me feel old.

lol...my son loves to pretend he's driving. Works out perfectly when I'm working on the truck. I just plop him in the drivers seat and shut the door. He's safe inside while I work.

Looking good! I was about ready to get a front runner for my topper, but I may have to take a second look now. That Gobi is looking pretty sweet, I'm liking the pre-wired part. What are the dimensions on that rack?
Stumbled into that area last summer heading down for a backpacking trip with some friends, its probably about 15 minutes out of Kanab, which was nice since we had come unprepared for food for a couple days...

THanks! I'll try and check on the dimensions in the morning.

r3run33

Adventurer
yes the rack looks greta hey do you have any pics of your install how ruff was in going into the roof???? by the way I know all the rage are these light bars but I really don't like the long light bars; any suggestions on a good light which is round? and etc

Big50

Adventurer
Wow, this trip is probably the best offroad trip I've been on. Neck and neck with Baja. We covered a little over 500 offroad miles. Went through multiple parks and monuments. I'll be putting together a full trip report but here's a couple pics until then. Big thanks to buddy Andrew for coming on this trip.

Hoping to go back for a group run in the fall or spring of next year.

Also, don't forget to follow our adventures on facebook @ www.facebook.com/expeditionxoffroad?

17128861925_3635a0509c_b.jpg
[/url]

16942553139_d02a96c2ae_b.jpg

17102801446_837dfe3e1e_b.jpg

16508622353_37cccbe6a1_b.jpg

16941224780_5db8b3665d_b.jpg

17128748965_3c24357f45_b.jpg

wrmmt

Adventurer
Nice, looks like a great trip! Maybe this will be the inspiration I need to plan another trip down to that area. Its just hard to beat that scenery... Looking foreword to the trip report!

Big50

Adventurer
Nice, looks like a great trip! Maybe this will be the inspiration I need to plan another trip down to that area. Its just hard to beat that scenery... Looking foreword to the trip report!

Almost forgot, thank you for the camping recommendation at Ponderosa Pines! We lucked out an got 1 of 2 spots left.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues