2014 4Runner TE "Momma Bear" Build

robert

Expedition Leader
Nice rig but a front bumper would also be high on my list- I hate the front end on the new 4Runners.

stringtwelve

Observer
Looking good. My favorite mod is the new front license plate. Go Vols!

Heck yeah! Nice user name BTW. Maybe ol' Butch will get them straightened out soon.

Nice rig but a front bumper would also be high on my list- I hate the front end on the new 4Runners.

Meh, I love the front end myself. I am kicking around the idea of building a metal version that keeps the look but gives a mount for a winch. Too many projects...

stringtwelve

Observer
Had some time to mock up a spare from the Troopy on the 4Runner... a 3" lift might just make those 285-70-R17's work.

20140803_174142.jpg

20140803_174131.jpg

Great looking rig so far! I'll be pickiung up a 2014 4R TE Premium this friday. Can't wait to start the modding, coming from the Xterra world for the past five years. I did own an FJ but found it not to have enough room to carry all of my gear (Military/LE). I think that wheel tire setup would easily clear with little to no rubbing with a 3" kit

Volfan

Meh, I love the front end myself. I am kicking around the idea of building a metal version that keeps the look but gives a mount for a winch. Too many projects...[/QUOTE]

Have you seen the Southern Style Speed slimline bumper over on T4R? Maintains the stock look but adds the winch and recovery points.

stringtwelve

Observer
I hadn't but just got done googling it and I have to say I'm a fan of the full bumpers over this one. We got into some rough situations this past weekend that made me wish I had the ARB installed. Some of the spots were close to ripping the factory bumper off. Needless to say, Momma Bear was a bit up-tight during that part of the trail. We found the skid plates more than once.

On a positive note we went places that some of the Jeeps with bigger tires and lifts had trouble with. ;)

Big debate right now is which tire size to go with... 285/70's or 275/70's. From the threads I've been reading it looks like the 275's will give me the least about of tire rub. I prefer travel over big tires and ripping inner liners so I'm leaning that way now. Thoughts? Oh and they will be BFG T/A KO's
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findTireDetail.do?c=1&rcz=88242&ar=70&rf=true&rd=17&rc=NMHINT&cs=275&dVeh=dVeh&ra=searchTiresByVehicleAndSize.do&fl=&tc=MTAVL8&yr=2014&pc=38275&vid=026237

stringtwelve

Observer
I did say KM2's back on the original post but after some further research I think she'll be happier with the ATs. Plus, I can find them in stock locally!

Now if that Icon lift would just hurry up...

The BFG AT KO is a good tire and I had them on my last work truck, but technology has advanced since they were introduced and I'm not convinced the KO2 is anything but the addition of some fancy sidewall lugs. Overland Journal did an all terrain tire comparison and the Cooper A/T3 came out on top. That combined with all the positive reviews I have read plus the reasonable price have sold me on them.

The Cooper ST Maxx is available in 255/85-16 and 255/80-17. I was considering them, but if I'm honest I don't do enough off road driving to warrant them.

stringtwelve

Observer
I noticed a small tear in the side wall of the Dunlops this morning so I went ahead and let Discount Tire swap them out with 4 BFG TA KO's. If you ask me... this is what all Trail Editions should come with from the factory. Went with 275/70/17 just to make sure there were no rubbing issues. Looking forward to getting the lift on to see the final product.
I would have liked to try the Coopers but they weren't in stock...

20140807_181104.jpg

20140807_181121.jpg

20140807_181412.jpg

...ok... come on, Icon.... send me some love...

stringtwelve

Observer
The lift kit finally shipped from Icon, scheduled to arrive on Wednesday... problem is I leave for Colorado Thursday... So, looks like a long night on Wednesday and hope I can get in for an alignment first thing Thursday.

Question: should I go ahead and plan on 1.25-1.5" spacers on front? Seems like a few folks are putting them on to compensate for the new wheel location from the lift.

In the meantime, we're having a blast with this thing:

DSC_0001.JPG

kpd1999

The lift kit finally shipped from Icon, scheduled to arrive on Wednesday... problem is I leave for Colorado Thursday... So, looks like a long night on Wednesday and hope I can get in for an alignment first thing Thursday.

Question: should I go ahead and plan on 1.25-1.5" spacers on front? Seems like a few folks are putting them on to compensate for the new wheel location from the lift.

In the meantime, we're having a blast with this thing:

DSC_0001.JPG

I'm in the same boat as you. My Icon stage 2 goes on tomorrow and I'm debating about wheel spacers (front and rear). I stayed with stock size tires but went with Cooper AT3s (which I love).

Good luck with your decision I'm looking forward to see how yours turns out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL