2014 Express AWD cargo van PNW 4 season camper

simple

Adventurer
I'm wondering if there may be two variables you guys are dealing with. If these units run on diesel, could the fuel be gelling up in the cold? If so maybe an additive like diesel 911 would help along with the altitude adjustment. Or if your using a small auxiliary diesel tank to fuel the heater, maybe moving it inside the cabin so it gets preheated.

Propane is also affected at really low temperatures. The gas doesn't want to phase change from the liquid state. Butane is worse.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
That's an air supply problem, not fuel.

If anything, the fuel needs to be trimmed a bit to lean out the burn.

Its currently burning too rich.

Id agree that the if it does have some sort altitude adjustment feature, that it isn't working, or working enough.

TeleSteve

Adventurer
These are both gasoline heaters, and they aren't designed to auto adjust for altitude. We have made manual adjustments, but without a combustion meter we can only guess as to the setting. From the factory they should work up to 5k.

Last edited:

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
RE: Webasto issues...I was looking for something else in this excellent thread today and this picture caught my eye.
18F062B6-6720-4CE6-B5F2-0FFFB89AB337_zpsejzg2tk5.jpg

Just from past experience dealing with exhaust systems (nothing Webasto specific) that looks wrong to me. Not only is the text upside down (not always a good indicator) but with the outlet on the highside of that muffler/silencer/whatever the moisture present in the exhaust and any heavier particulate will be trapped in the muffler. This could be significantly degrading exhaust flow...or it might be doing nothing. I dunno.

Last edited:

iridewheelies

Adventurer
It is strange that the text is upside down. I was following the instructions. There is a small hole on the bottom to weep any moisture.

iridewheelies

Adventurer
Thanks for posting telesteve. The photos of all the carbon buildup are astonishing. I'm going to pull mind and clean it tonight. I'm not skiing this weekend so I won't be able to test it until next weekend. I'm also going to lean it out a bit more. Wish me luck!

iridewheelies

Adventurer
I finally had some time to take the webasto apart last night. No wonder it was having problems. It was loaded with soot just like Telesteve's

The disassembly and cleaning were not difficult. I'll plan on doing it as yearly maintenance once I have it running right.

After putting it all back together I can't get it to fire up. I'm getting error code #1. I'm going to pull it out tonight and make sure I didn't somehow put it back together wrong. I'll also test the glow plug and flame sensor.

According to this service manual
http://www.suremarineservice.com/manuals/at2000st-repair.pdf

Flame sensor should read 2.6 - 3.4 ohms

Glow plug should read 0.263 - 0.333 ohms

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I still think its an air obstruction problem.

Although the more I dig online the more it looks like an inherent issue with these, and routine cleaning is recommended and or required.

That's pretty sad, considering the cost of such a heater. :snorkel:

iridewheelies

Adventurer
What do you mean by obstruction? Something blocking the intake? There was some snow packed in one time but other than that it's clear.

It definitely wasn't getting enough oxygen when I ran it at altitude. Leaning out the fuel should fix that problem.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
The photos speak for themselves.

The unit is/was/has been running very rich.

That means it needs more air or less fuel.

Easiest thing to check is for some sort of obstruction from the intake, yes.

But honestly, doing some digging online, it seems that this is simply the way these units run.
And periodic cleaning (removal of carbon/soot) is required.

Unless you can fix the inherent problem, that is :coffee:

TeleSteve

Adventurer
Just an update, my Webasto has been working flawlessly for the last two weeks running nearly non stop at elevations between 4-8k feet. It seems that cleaning it out and the manual altitude adjustment is working at this point. I have noticed that with it turned off and driving on snow covered roads I have to check the exhaust outlet for snow and ice build up before firing it. Doesn't seem to be an issue if it is on while driving. My exhaust outlet is right on the inside of the rocker like Iridewheelies except a couple feet further back. My intake is inside the frame rail near the rear axle and doesn't collect any snow/ice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

iridewheelies

Adventurer
That's great Telesteve. Mine is cleaned out but isn't wanting to start right now. I got it lit with the help of some compressed air, and it ran perfectly for an hour but won't start back up. I'm going to put the webasto project on hold so I can finish insulating and trimming out my top.

I'm also going to work on fixing what my dog did on Sunday.

TeleSteve

Adventurer
Oh no, I have a lab that has chewed the seat belts out of two of our trucks. She now gets to stay in a crate when unattended in a vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues