2014 Express AWD cargo van PNW 4 season camper

iridewheelies

Adventurer
Hello Everybody,

I'm all healed up from my crash and I've been working on the van. I haven't gotten as much done as I'd hoped though, because I've been using it to camp in so much. It's an amazing vehicle and it's only getting better.

I'll answer the questions first:

I haven't seen a drop in MPG. I don't keep detailed records of each tank but On Star is still showing 15 MPG for the life of the van, I'm just over 20,000 miles now.

I don't know how much the top weighs. I don't feel any extra burden on the van or effect on the suspension at all.

I haven't contacted Van Specialties about the swivels. I'm satisfied with my swivel now after all the improvements. If I had to do it over I'd talk to Van Specialties first. It seemed much more robust.

20,000 miles in the first year and I'm super happy with it.

IMG_3539.jpg

iridewheelies

Adventurer
I wanted more insulation on the floor so I bought this from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EMTQTY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

I was planning to pull out the rubber mat and glue some insulation to the floor. I had a few plans in mind and ideas about what I'd buy when I had the realization that this is a work van and there are several companies already making products that would work just fine.

I pulled out the factory rubber mat, cleaned the sheet metal, put the bedrug in and then replaced the factory rubber mat. You can't tell it's there but the van is quieter on the road and probably stays cooler or hotter with the added insulation.

IMG_3067.jpg
IMG_3069.jpg

Last edited:

iridewheelies

Adventurer
The next project was to construct a bed/table/storage unit in the rear of the van. I have some ideas for how I'm going build out the van eventually with 8020 aluminum but first I need to get some experience with building this stuff and I need to figure out exactly what I want in there.

I decided to go with a dinette style seating and sleeping area. I put my ideas into Sketchup:

IMG_3258.JPG

IMG_3257.JPG

I'm really lucky that my brother built a cmc machine for his business and was happy to let me use it. I've never done any 3d modeling or used a CNC table before. It was really fun and frustrating learning how to use it. I'm hooked! The end product comes out perfect, as long as you design it right. Here is the machine cutting 3/4" ply:

It didn't leave much waste from a 4'x8' sheet

IMG_3273.jpg

IMG_3267.jpg

once all the parts were cut they went together like IKEA furniture. Here are a few shots of the initial assembly before I finished them out.

IMG_3280.jpg

IMG_3281.jpg

IMG_3320.jpg

I still need to get the cushions cut and upholstered. There's lots of storage space under the seats and I'm really happy with how sturdy it feels. I'm thinking about the kitchen how.

dinnette.jpg

Last edited:

iridewheelies

Adventurer
One of my design goals is to keep the van looking stock and as stealth as possible. I'm not hanging anything off the outside. No gas cans, jacks or shovels. Even the skis and snowboards will be mounted inside. Bikes are the only exception.

We go camping probably three times a month. We didn't get many snowboarding trips in this year because of the lack of snow. We made one overnight trip to Mt Batchelor but we didn't sleep at the mountain, we stayed in Bend close to the brewery and coffee shops. One of the best things about this van is that we can park almost anywhere, put up the black out curtains and no one notices us. We've slept in neighborhoods and in front of businesses all over the west this year. Here is a shot of us and a Tiger at the rest stop on Hwy 12 near White Pass. Tigers are nice but no so stealth.
IMG_3334.jpg

This is how it looks with the black out curtains up. It looks like a van with tinted windows. It might be a contractor van, hard to tell.
IMG_3413.jpg

with the curtains up we can have the lights on inside and no light escapes. They're made from refletix, glued to black velour fabric with magnets on both sides. In the hot sun we put the reflectix side out to reflect the sun. When we need privacy the black side goes out.

For the windshield we have a Weathertech sunshade with one silver side and one black side. It's cut to fit the windshield perfectly. http://www.weathertech.com/chevrolet/2015/express/techshade/

photogdave

Adventurer
Hey traitor! :p

Your build is looking really good. Sorry to read about your crash but happy to read you've recovered well.
Hope to see you out and about in the PNW!

^^^Exactly - I enjoy a stock van on the outside for the exact same reason... stealth. We camp plenty on BLM service road access backcountry, river boat launches, and blm/Nat'l park campgrounds - but, we also sleep everywhere we travel; Aspen Film Fest, T-Ride Bluegrass, small towns near the park & mtn bike trail heads, etc... even downtown or airports of major cities. Even unplanned lay-overs & friend or relative drive-ways - 'we have our own bedroom, just need the head'.

Just another vehicle on the street or parking lot. A weekend in Aspen is $300+ per night, 3-night minimum for a hotel room, and we don't always want to stay 10 miles out of town in the forest... nice to leave a concert after a few drinks & go to sleep - waking to a nice breakfast restaurant down the street. Only once in 10-years have I been hassled late at night by local police... small town & I parked in the town park lot - just had to pull out 20ft & park along the street... Utard.

iridewheelies

Adventurer
I'm still catching up on my posts but I'll skip ahead to my latest modification. The maxxfan deluxe remote control roof vent. This thing is fantastic for pulling hot or stinky air out of the van.

Install is easy and it comes with good instructions. Just cut a 14"x14" hole in your roof (measure twice!), drop in the base plate with some butyl tape, screw it down, seal with silicone, bolt in the fan and run power to it.

Sounds pretty easy but it still took me half a day to get it done.

Marked out the hole with a sharpie.
03ff98eb4735db664bf117c34bd26c50.jpg

Drilled some holes for the saw to start in

d379cb0991de95e5cc23be20aab9ad48.jpg

Taped it off to protect the paint

e09ca4eba27b87bdc1ebc0b2af5d36f5.jpg

I didn't take any photos of cutting the hole. I used my jigsaw. Plan to use several blades, the fiberglass destroys wood blades. I used some leftover 3/4" ply to make a spacer for the trim.

b7ad2e7680d0c3b730326843157bc693.jpg

Sealed it up with white silicone. I don't like the clear stuff because it turns brown and looks horrible.

f541a3975ce678b2f4dabe8ad2ade3fb.jpg

Use the fan to keep the van cool and this guy happy

e8582fc329aa96f969a34dec07ee7563.jpg

fog cutter

Adventurer
....keep the van looking stock and as stealth as possible. ... Bikes are the only exception....

for what it's worth, i find people are less anxious if they see a "reason" for you to be. a clue why you're here. surfboard, fishing rod, bike, all let folks know you're probably not filming a snuff film in the back of your rig.

Last edited:

iridewheelies

Adventurer
I'm using switches from http://www.otrattw.net for all of my electrical upgrades. They sell carling switches with custom covers. They have hundreds of designs and you can customize the text at no extra charge. I've made two orders with them and both were shipped very fast and the packing was excellent. I highly recommend buying from them.

I went with the new contura 14 style covers. I'm trying to keep the dash looking as factory as possible and the 14 looked best to me. If you go to the site you'll see the other styles.

I ordered several sizes of switch holders because I wasn't sure how they'd fit in my dash. I was super happy to find out that if you put two "ends" together as a two switch bracket it will fit in the factory dash perfectly after you remove the switch blank. Take a look

977bee44b6340f863fea35ccf52ad50d.jpg

30c7d18e5e4830c682b787bab3a78de5.jpg

2691e7a29d89fee86792f5ba6b407d8e.jpg

I went with green led back lighting on the bottom and amber led for the top because it's the closest match to the existing dash lighting.

http://youtu.be/-br6_TwrUso

Last edited:

iridewheelies

Adventurer
I used soft close drawer slides from Home Depot thinking the drawers should stay closed on windey roads. There's plenty of room for cooking and eating stuff. The bottom one holds the food.

fb757a8f9af1be74566d83461755780b.jpg

For power there are 2 die hard platinum 31m batteries under the fridge connected to the main battery with a sure power 1314.

c0970d29c3eb6c5edeb7129af8a3b139.jpg

I can get several days of fridge and fan power out of them without solar or running the engine.

We're leaving this weekend for a big Canadian road trip. Taking the ferry over to Victoria on Vancouver Island, exploring as much of the island as we can in 5 days then taking another ferry north to Bella Coola. From there we head over to Williams Lake and down to Kamaloops then south to cross the border on Hwy 97 and head back to Olympia via north cascades highway.

593fc0df175244a8807d3359cd7d1291.jpg

Were bringing our mountain bikes and will spend most of our time riding or hiking trails we also have a small inflatable raft for exploring any lakes or rivers we find.

If anyone has recommendations for good camping or knows of good breweries up there I'd love to hear about them!

iridewheelies

Adventurer
One last upgrade before the trip.
d6eaa6f43e1f0f118fec57845f24594e.jpg

1/4 x20 riv nuts

cd7bb1ebbbfd570280b516733eab832c.jpg

Stainless steel, and I found it at Home Depot with the hinges!

fa6f2493467a436689f1287c276b9919.jpg

Plenty of room

707c04bb664f5c26a5f8b409036f9ffd.jpg

rockbender

Adventurer
Holy Jackpot! I've been wondering where to put the opener on my Express - thanks for sharing that!

FWIW, I've been using the self closing slides on our drawers and they have been keeping the drawers closed just fine. We also use the bottom drawer as a pantry - it is super convenient.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven