2014 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon HeliNomad Build

HeliNomad

Adventurer
Another batch of photos came in today. The guys from Pollard Motors and Cory Sellers are doing an amazing job with this build. It's getting very close to being completed...this phase at least.

IMAG1748.jpgIMAG1749.jpgIMAG1752.jpgIMAG1757.jpgIMAG1759.jpgIMAG1761.jpg
IMAG1762.jpg

Last edited:

LL247

Observer
I have to say, from just purchasing an identical rubicon in an auto trans (color, options, everything), I'm jealous! Looks awesome, might have to get that rack too...

Pollard OffRoad

We had such a blast doing this build for HeliNomad ~ We tend to do more Hemi powered crawlers than Overlanding rigs, but the response on this one has been so good that we're diving more into the Overlanding market and will hopefully be able to expand into more Expedition ready rigs. And now that I'm aware of the forum here, hopefully I'll get to know a lot of you a little better. So, thank you for your business Heli, and thanks for the introduction/invite to ExPo!

Attachments

• IMAG1622.jpg
    IMAG1622.jpg
    587.2 KB · Views: 150

HeliNomad

Adventurer
Got her today. I'm speechless. All I keep asking my self is why on earth didn't I switch to Jeep earlier. Not that I didn't enjoy every minute of both Discovery and Defender projects I did in the past but I feel that I will actually enjoy this one the most. Everything is so easy and convenient. The AEV lift is perfect. The truck is so tall. I couldn't imagine a 4.5 and 37" working for overland related stuff but I could be wrong. The AEV 3.5 and 35" with the remote reservoirs is a dream on rough terrain. I got a chance to do some wash board roads today and I was astonished at the lack of body movement. The truck absorbs everything QUIETLY. Coming from a Defender I can't get over how quiet and composed everything is. Steering is precise and there is no drama when you carry too much speed into a corner. The truck is so flat on the road. I would expect that with a suspension this "plush" that it would sag when loaded up with gear. Well I was wrong... I put about 300 lbs of gear in the back for this quick overnight trip I am taking this evening and the truck sits super level. I'll report back when I get the trailer hooked up.

As for Pollard, I can't thank them enough. I went into this a little blind not really knowing the Jeep product but their expertise in AEV products really shined. The solution they put together for me was perfect. The execution was drama free and most critically meeting my expectations. The nearly $10,000 Focal audio system was budget candy but my god...it's a pure 900 watt symphony. I was jealous of my wife's Range Rover incredible audio system so I was open to Cory's suggestions.

The sPod is pretty awesome. I think it's genius. The Aeroforce Interceptor is really cool. So much that you can do with that little computer. And it looks completely stock in the sPod system. More on this later...

The lighting is just wow...finally an LED solution that works. I have watched every TruckLite LED headlamp review on the internet and all I can say is that they don't even come close to the justice of in person. It's so bright and so even throughout the pattern. The TruckLite LED fog lights add even more. I will motion to say that it's better then a stock Xenon system. It's instant on to full brightness and the high beams make it just incredible. Off road, flick the switch for the Rigid 20" light bar and it's more then enough for whatever. I'm happy...

The truck is now soon headed to Mario at Adventure Trailers for him to do his overland magic. Plans are to install:
-Chaser kitchen solution on the trailer
-JK fridge slide and drawer system
-Dual batteries
-Upper deck storage
-and more....

I thought that I should add a photo of the past two projects I've done if anything to just say goodbye. They are both doing well with new owners who I'm glad to say are using them for their intended purpose. This Jeep just might die with me though.... ; )

DSC_0902.jpgIMG_1290.jpg

jscusmcvet

Explorer
congrats on getting exactly what you wanted. I am curious to hear a road ride comparison between your well built disco and the jeep. I had a 97 disco for a brief period and I really enjoyed the ride in comparison to the many jeeps I have owned. Granted I have never had a JK or an AEV build.

Not moving away from my LJ, just curious.
Thanks,

John

greggNJ

Observer
The Jeep looks great! I hope to eventually get an AEV suspension for mine as well.

Those are some nice Rovers too.

HeliNomad

Adventurer
congrats on getting exactly what you wanted. I am curious to hear a road ride comparison between your well built disco and the jeep. I had a 97 disco for a brief period and I really enjoyed the ride in comparison to the many jeeps I have owned. Granted I have never had a JK or an AEV build.

Not moving away from my LJ, just curious.
Thanks,

John

Well comparing a 1993 Defender to a 2014 JK isn't really a fair comparison. The Defender doesn't have front sway bars which makes them great off road but a little tippy on the road. I had an OME HD lift on the Defender which helped from stock but still was a bit of a handful if you did carry too much speed into the corner or have to swerve to miss an animal. The 2004 Discovery that I had did great with it's RoverTym 3" lift and 33" tires. It was far more road worthy and most comparable to the JK. However taking either the Defender and Discovery above 65-70 mph was a shaky affair. I did get a chance to drive a stock Rubicon and honestly the AEV versions feels just like it even at 80 mph. It want's to roll the same and feels just as tight. Again I really shouldn't talk too much about the JK since I have all of 100 miles in one by this morning but so far I'm super impressed.

HeliNomad

Adventurer
Okay so I don't own her a day and I am already taking a roto-band to the stock Rubicon rock rails. AEV should provide a list of "things you don't have to do but should do after getting your JK350 premium lift installed." Like modifying the exhaust to clear the front drive shaft or in my case putting an HD front drive shaft. Also that only in extreme articulation with the front sway bars disconnected will the back of the stock Rubicon rails touch the 35" tires ever so slightly. Anyway it's all minor stuff...but it was bothering me so tonight out came the power tools. Here are some before and afters. Easy job at the end of the day.

Before:
photo 1.JPG

After:
photo 2.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy