2014 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon HeliNomad Build

daveh

Adventurer
Wow. That is a sad story. I had my 7 pin done at dealer here in pa. I was in and out in a little over an hour.

Helinomad :

yes there is worse , living in Europe and having your Jeep serviced by a Fiat dealer......

And probably we already have been very stressed when we entered the dealership and discussed with the salesman ....Jk Rubicon........track lock .....disconnects.... ...you will see in his eyes big ****** signs.....

Yeah OK we can order diesels , but for the rest, it's a real pain ....you know where..

By the way , nice rig , I'm waiting for delivery of my Jk Ult Rubi 10th ann,Billet silver, Atx CRD ,and I think it will be a "European brother of yours.
OME lift , AEV bumpers, Saverge Argent with 33 Coopers ST max , Warn Zeon S , Frontrunner slimline roofrack and inner rack. Dual battery in the rear.diff cover in front and some more stuff....

grts

SiliconTi

Stuck in the Mud
Well, I do not go to the Jeep dealer for my (warranty) work, I go to a Dodge dealer - any MOPAR brand can service any other. They have been great to deal with.

HeliNomad

Adventurer
Alright well the saga is over: They called me this morning to inform me that it was ready. I went over there and found the wiring to be installed neatly and was quite impressed. I asked the "everything is okay man" service rep who told me that of course they tested everything so as not to seem like a jerk I just paid the $520 bill and left. Getting home I plugged in the trailer and sure enough everything worked EXCEPT the right turn signal or brake light. After slamming my head against the wall a couple times I drove back to the dealership and went straight to the tech. I told him the problem and he instantly got defensive claiming that the wiring harness must have been bad. Concurring that was a possibility I asked if we could open the driver side tail lamp and just check the connections. He said he was on a tight schedule so in the middle of the floor I did it my self and sure enough the connections were backwards. I can't explain why it would only take out the right tail light but plugging the connectors in the way the pictorial instructions detail fixed the issue. Anyway I'm over this little saga and I have a working system now. To the credit of the tech the rest of the install is actually really nice and he took great care in routing the harness. Honestly he just made a simple mistake I would have likely done too. I just wish they would actually test their work before handing it over to the customer.

In other more positive news, my AEV mud flaps arrived and I installed them in under 1 minute per side. I love AEV stuff. These guys are masters at molded plastic and thinking everything through. If only Dave Harrington could run Chrysler then we would be set!

IMG_1729.jpg

SamM

Adventurer
My MOPAR trailer hitch and 7-pin wiring harness install was over $280 and I had to take the Jeep back twice to get it fixed right. They drilled holes into my AEV bumper to install the plug mount. I'm still livid over that one. I had them install front Jeep mud flaps a week later and they screwed that up too. My inner fenders flap like wings now. It's been back 4 times and they still can't get it fixed. The next appointment is on Dec 4th. Last chance! The tech somehow broke the inner fender mounting bolt insert off over the main fender stud. Somehow, they think they are going to pull the studs and install bolts to fix it.

I feel for ya!

Septu

Explorer
When I talked to my dealer, I was quoted $600 to install the hitch and harness. I did it myself in a couple hours.

Here is my build

Beautiful build!! I have much of the same gear, and thought I'd share. I know the guys at Pollard, and they did a beautiful job on your Jeep. For what its worth, I'm running the AEV 3.5 with BFG 37KM2's and I'm very happy with the performance.
20131126_152951_resized.jpg20131115_165021_resized.jpg

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Dang it just when I set my self on the Aev roof rack some one posts up a Gobi and I'm back on the fence.

I pondered the AEV and the Gobi for a long time, and for what my two cents are worth, I chose the Gobi. Its very stable, it doesn't weigh a ton, it has lots of attachment offerings (awnings, etc), and it allows you to still maintain the use of a soft top, or to remove your hardtop. I do like the clean design of the AEV, but I don't like drilling through a new hardtop, and risking leaks, and I don't personally like turning my Jeep Wrangler into a permanent hard top. The Gobi just filled my personal storage, aesthetic requirements, and functional needs.

HeliNomad

Adventurer
Alright well after a Thanksgiving weekend worth of work I am happy to say that I finally completed the Kenwood D710A install. I didn't want to give up my coin try to the head unit so after spending quite a bit of time trying to understand the Jeep's plastic dash bits I created a contoured backing plate that would allow a very sturdy mount to the back of the coin tray. I then carefully shaped one of the quick disconnect mounts that came with the Kenwood to point the unit towards the driver slightly. I made a small bracket to mount the brains of the Kenwood on top of my JL amp which is under my passenger seat. I then ran my Diamond coaxial cable to the rear of the truck and into the AEV mount. I made sure that there was an excellent ground on the mount and tested the antenna. That AEV mount is killer. The mic was installed cleanly on the passenger side so it could plug directly into the brain with no extensions. All in all it was a pretty painless install and I'm impressed with the D710's functionality having had the D700 in my Discovery and Defender projects.

In addition to the radio I also tackled relocating the back up camera. I didn't like the angle it had from the top of the pillar on the AEV bumper. I couldn't see below the spare tire well enough to back up a trailer into a hitch. I found a photo of what I assume is AEV soon to come out back up camera solution and decided that I should copy that. I see they mounted it to the CHMSL brake light in the tire carrier. All I had to do was modify the top of the bracket slightly to make a firm bond with the back up camera. Now the image is exactly where you would want it. Photos are below!

xIMG_1750.jpgIMG_1749.jpgIMG_1748.jpgIMG_1746.jpgIMG_1745.jpgIMG_1744.jpgIMG_1742.jpgIMG_1743.jpg

BenHedrick

Adventurer
I hit a deer last year in a truck and it wasn't fun. I was talking to our FLIR aviation rep and he showed me the tech they are developing for the automotive industry that approximates some of the capabilities we enjoy in the helo and it sounded really cool. A warm body object shows up like a spot light even through dense foliage. The wide angle of these cameras are able to pick up some impressive things. The MyGig will automatically switch to a front camera once you drive faster then 7 mph if you want. Sounds like a cool idea. Here is the camera:

View attachment 197534

Heli, I run this same FLIR Pathfinder camera and it is AWESOME! Sometime when we are out at night exploring, we turn all the lights off and just run this FLIR, it is fantastic and you'll love it!

Question: Does the new 2014 MyGig automatically except the rear and front cameras? My 2011 needed a NavTV setup to use cameras. Thanks, Ben

Last edited:

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
How well does the radio work with such little ground plane for the antenna?
I'm thinking I may just mount a dual band on the side of the hood, not ideal but it seems like it would be a slightly better ground plane.

HeliNomad

Adventurer
Heli, I run this same FLIR Pathfinder camera and it is AWESOME! Sometime when we are out at night exploring, we turn all the lights off and just run this FLIR, it is fantastic and you'll love it!

Question: Does the new 2014 MyGig automatically except the rear and front cameras? My 2011 needed a NavTV setup to use cameras. Thanks, Ben

Awesome. It's on my list. I have the lock pick for the uconnect 730N. You can set it to automatically switch to a front camera after 7 mph. Or of course you can manually see any camera. This is independent of your video entertainment system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy