2015 Chevy Express Van Duramax build- (FEV) Family Expedition Van

conqueror4x4usa

OK, so to start this off we are not going to go to the amazing lengths that Weldtec went to build up their Sema Van. Not to get your hopes up we will not try to one up them. They did a great job and we applaud them for it. Hopefully we will build a van that will inspire you to get out there and explore the world around you with your family. When all is said and done all that matters is family. We are going to call this the FEV Build. Family Expedition Van. The van does not get to our shop until June so if you do not see much on this post until then you will know why.

We are looking for some ideas from you all out there...we have seen some amazing ingenuity on the forum here and would like to encourage you all to submit ideas for us to put on this rig. The best ideas out there that are submitted we will do our best to incorporate them in the build. Please keep in mind family function with overland capability.

The van that we are going to build will be for the following purposes.

Build Goals:

1) Show rig for Conqueror North America
2) Remain capable of transporting our 10 children, wife and I on overland adventures. We will be pulling a Conqueror Trailer on our adventures but with 10 children we are going to have to add some more sleeping quarters. The Conqueror's are amazing trailers but they won't fit 10 kids in them.

Simple right? They are pretty simple when you look at them on paper but really hard to accomplish due to goal #2 above.

Donor Vehicle:

2015 Chevy Express 15 Passenger Duramax Diesel

Modifications on the wish list:

1) Convert to 4WD and lift 3": We have already contracted with Advanced 4X4 in Salt Lake to do the conversion
2) Improved suspension for off road
3) Airbags in the rear for ride leveling when towing and when loaded down with kid gear
4) Custom Bumpers
5) Front bumper will have an integrated winch
6) Rear bumper will have two swing out arms one for spare tire and one for storage box
7) Custom pull out kitchen similar to the Conqueror trailer. We will use this for day excursions when we are away from the trailer
8) Lithium battery bank
9) 3000 watt inverter
10) Aux heating
11) Aux cooling
12) Full length roof rack
13) Full length Roof Top style living quarters. Stay tuned this might be a real success or an epic failure
14) Solar charging
15) External and internal LED lighting: We are going to try to get total power consumption to a minimum.
16) Awning
17) Give us some ideas!!!
18) Give us some ideas!!!
19) Give us some ideas!!!

Pics of the van at the dealership in California. It was not easy to find...

13713120950.jpg
13713121006.jpg
13713121065.jpg
13713121103.jpg
13713121128.jpg
13713121234.jpg

wjeeper

I like the plan you have especially bringing the whole family along! I would strongly suggest you look into finding another 4x4 upfitter.......I live in the Salt Lake area and have never heard a good thing about advanced 4x4. In fact someone one on here just bought an advanced van and commented it looked cobbled together.
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/169963-Leela-the-Lip-Trix-Van

conqueror4x4usa

Thank you for the advice. I have heard good and bad things about all the 4x4 upfitters. It took me a really long time to decide who to go with. I visited the Advanced shop and spent some time with them and I felt pretty good about them. Hopefully they have seen some of the negative comments on here and have improved some things. We considered going with Quigley since they are so close and have a pretty good reputation but they would not do our van and keep all of the seats in there. They force you to take the front row bench out and take the seat belts when doing a diesel 15 passenger. Who would you recommend?

Campbulance

Observer
Sweet pick up. Subscribed to see what you do. I bought a 2008 duramax and like it a lot. They are hard to find and mine turned up 20 miles away.

Silverhorse

Adventurer
4x4 conversion info

I may be able to help out with this. This is Billy from Pensacola, Florida. I spoke with you today about a trailer. This is some of the info I have accumulated for the conversion
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/146009-Johny5-s-stealth-camper-van

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/89774-New-Chev-Express-3500-IFS-Conversion ( these guys are in Canada and are very good)

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76.../442522-2500-3500-van-ifs-4wd-conversion.html

www.quigley4x4.com/ does the IFS conversion only (stock or 3" lift)

Boulder Offroad does a coil/dana 60 conversion

and if you decide to do it yourself let me know, I have tons of info on said subject..........

conqueror4x4usa

Updated Pics of the Van

We stopped by Advanced 4x4 on our way to Park city to drop off a Conqueror Trailer to a new customer and had a chance to see the van. We snapped some pics and talked to Randy for a bit. Overall their build quality looks really nice.
IMG_3099.jpg
Van on lift
IMG_3100.jpg
Front Hub assy
IMG_3101.jpg
Front Shock with modified mount. I found the Fox/ Ridetech shock on ebay for a steal of a deal. Offered $100 for all four and it was accepted. They do fit on the van. I will give a review when I get the van. http://www.ebay.com/itm/322012334081?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

IMG_3103.jpg
Front Shock
IMG_3105.jpg
Mount that was cut out to accommodate the larger 33" tire.
IMG_3108.jpg
Front diff
IMG_3112.jpg
IMG_3115.jpg

bbbthreat

Going to follow this build closely. Looks good thus far. We are planning to do a 4x4 conversion with Advanced 4x4 as well on our 2017 Express RB 6.0L gasser. We bought our van special order from the same dealer you purchased your 2015 from. Small world.

bbbthreat

Do you know what size wheel and tire combo you are going with? Going to have Advanced do a gear change?

I have the 3.42 gears with the G80 locker as this was my only option. I will be upgrading to a 265/70R17 tire and wheel set to keep my gearing close to stock, but help improve the vehicles stance/ground clearance. The gasser tows well as is, but would like to hear how you like your Duramax FEV does.

Patriot_Farms

Do you know what size wheel and tire combo you are going with? Going to have Advanced do a gear change?

I have the 3.42 gears with the G80 locker as this was my only option. I will be upgrading to a 265/70R17 tire and wheel set to keep my gearing close to stock, but help improve the vehicles stance/ground clearance. The gasser tows well as is, but would like to hear how you like your Duramax FEV does.

We are going with 33" tires. Rims need to be +18 offset to work with the conversion. Yes we need to have the rear diff ratio changed to accommodate the Truetrac diff. I think the gear ratio change is only needed for the diesel. Call up Advanced and they will help you out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater