2015 Chevy Express Van Duramax build- (FEV) Family Expedition Van

conqueror4x4usa

Update On FEV Status

Well it has been way too long since I have given an update on the FEV Build.

Advanced 4x4 Conversion: I got word today that Advanced 4X4 has finished the conversion. It is still at their shop in Salt Lake because we are still in the process of engineering some real nerf bars for the van that will actually protect it. Since the van has the Duramax in it, the DEF tank and the emission systems are directly in the way of us being able to mount to the bars to the frame. Not an easy task to work around them. We just need some time to think of a creative way to mount to the frame. Any ideas out there?

Accessory Update: We put in an order with Aluminess to build the front and rear bumpers, along with a roof rack. The front bumper will have the square light cutouts for LED lights, larger diameter brush guards, hitch receiver, and also this is where we will be mounting the Warn Zeon 12-S Platinum winch. Since the winch is a little too tall for the bumper we will be relocating the controls to another location. The rear bumper will have the two swing out arms with a spare tire on one side and then a special surprise on the other side... We actually ordered a spare swing arm so that if we want to change out an arm to a different configuration then we could so that. The roof rack is going to be a low profile rack with mesh floor and some custom cutouts. It will be made 12' long which is about 1 foot longer than their base roof rack. Ahh one more thing, we will have a ladder mounted permanently on the drivers side.

Since we have 10 kids we really can't shoehorn them into one of our Conqueror UEV-490's so we have decided to go with a roof top tent and stuff some of the kids in there...but not any ordinary roof top tent. We are going to go with a 10 foot long BunduTop from Bundutec USA. I don't know if anyone has ever seen the 10' one and I think that the one we are getting is going to be the first one in the states. Personally I am pretty excited to see what it will look like. I am sure the kids will fight over who gets to sleep up on top of the van. It will be like a mobile tree house. :)

Some other things we are spooling up is the electrical system. There is going to be a lot going on there but I have two main goals when is come to the electrical. 1) Keep the Van Electical and the Aux systems a separate and isolated as possible. 2) Keep it simple. I know I will have a hard time with goal number two. Since I am an Engineer and did Engine research for Honda for the last dozen years any my expertise is in control systems, automation and vehicle telemetry I have a strong tendency to go overboard some times. I will need some tempering in this department. I talked to John at sPOD and I think that is the platform that we will be using to at least run most of the Aux systems. We will need to still integrate a MPPT solar controller in there, an AC/DV charger and some other small items but I think the sPOD platform will serve us just fine. They build some great stuff over there.

We are going to install air bags in the rear of the vehicle to aid in keeping the van level when towing. Air Lift is where we will source the bags and compressor. I am going to add a 2.5 gallon tank to the system so that we can use the airbag's compressor as a dual purpose system. It will keeps the bags inflated and also have an aux line that we can use to fill tires, kids toys, and air tools if necessary. Since the van is lifted 3" then we need some spacers under the bags and they will come from Tuff Country.

Lighting: We are going to go with an LED setup from Baja Designs. Based on my research and talking to the guys over there, they have the best LED's on the market. If my kids are afraid of the dark they won't be after we get the lights on this van.

I also had a conversation with the guys over at Nuthouse Industries about doing some custom aluminum boxes for the van. Yes, some may say that we are competitors but who really cares? This market is huge and I love working with the guys that are in the same industry.

I have been going on for a while now with no pictures...I know, I know. We will post some when the things we ordered have arrived.

conqueror4x4usa

Van Wiring Diagram

It has been a while since I have posted. We have been at breakneck pace getting trailers out to customers and then getting more shipments in and processed. I thought I would post the planned wiring diagram for the FEV VAN. There are some limitations to the software I used to create the diagram so no throwing rocks at my diagram. ;)
Conqueror Vehicle Build.jpg

conqueror4x4usa

FEV Accessories: WARN Zeon 12-S Platinum

Recently received the WARN Zeon 12-S Platinum winch. It is a much welcome addition to the Van. It is a 12K winch with the synthetic rope, "Spydura Pro". It also has a very nice cordless remote. The overall appearance of the Warn Winch is very nice. Fit and finish is great, the areas that need to be sealed are done well, overall a great looking winch. The synthetic rope is amazing. I didn't even realize what I was missing all of the years that I have been running the traditional steel cable. The Spydura was so much easier to roll up on the drum when compare to steel cable. The weight savings of the Spydura is another bonus. This winch will be installed on the inside of the Aluminess bumper. When we get the bumpers I will be sure to post pics of the install. More information here: https://www.warn.com/truck/winches/ZEON_12-S_Pltnm.jsp

IMG_3346.jpg

IMG_3347.jpg

IMG_3345.jpg

IMG_3349.jpg

conqueror4x4usa

FEV Accessories: REDARC Tow Pro Elite

Another addition to the VAN is a trailer brake controller. I have been spoiled with the integrated one that is found in our Chevy 3500 Duramax, but the FEV has no such thing. For years I have looked for a controller that was out of sight, out of mind but I could never find one. The only ones available required you to hang if off your dash and have a big ugly box jamming you in the leg all the time....until I met the guys from REDARC at Overland Expo west. They had in my view a perfect solution for a brake controller. The REDARC controller hides anywhere you want to put it and then the super smaller controller nob mounts with a single small hole in the dash or wherever you might want to place it. They are connected with a CAT5 cable. More information can be found here. https://www.redarc.com.au/elite-electric-brake-controller

IMG_3374.jpg

IMG_3375.jpg

IMG_3377.jpg

IMG_3376.jpg

bbbthreat

Any updates on those nerf bars? Curious about your low profile brake controller. I run the Prodigy P2, and while it is not low profile, I have always been happy with its performance on any of my previous/current rig. Hope your buildout is proceeding as planned.

conqueror4x4usa

Yes things are coming along. We have been so busy here trying to get trailer out to customers that I have not had time to put into this thread. The nerf bars have proven difficult to make but we have not given up yet. On the drivers side of the van you have the DEF tank and the aux battery. With those in the way it is hard to properly mount a real rock slider to the frame. Advanced 4x4 in Salk Lake has taken all the measurements and they said in a few weeks they should have something that will work.

Picture of DEF Tank and Aux Battery

IMG_3859.jpg

conqueror4x4usa

Aluminess Bumper, Roof rack

After we picked up the van in Salt Lake city from Advanced 4x4 we drove it down to San Diego to get the Aluminess bumper and roof rack installed. Before we got to Aluminess we delivered a UEV-490 to a customer in LA. We couldn't resist some side excursions on the way. The Aluminess install took all day. We brought it in at 8:00am and did not leave until about 3:30pm. Bring something to do while waiting or you will get really bored. Overall it was a pretty smooth transition and the quality of their work is bar-none.

IMG_3778.jpg

IMG_3779.jpg

Pre-Aluminess

IMG_3792.jpg

IMG_3794.jpg

IMG_3795.jpg

IMG_3797.jpg

IMG_3798.jpg

IMG_3800.jpg

IMG_3802.jpg

IMG_3803.jpg

conqueror4x4usa

It rides amazingly well. I have been driving the Ford E-Series around for the last 15 years and boy o boy this Chevy Express is so much nicer to drive. It does not wander on the road, it is smooth over the bumps and really handles well. Even with the 3" lift I feel that it is 1000% better than the Fords. It is not quite to the level of my Chevy 3500 Dually, but very close. I think that the Fox shocks on the front that we put on could be a little softer. But in the end I think it is a good shock for good street handling and also off road. It rode really hard when we first drove it out of the shop. We checked the tire pressure and the guys at the tire shop had them aired up to 100psi for from crazy reason. So we aired them down to 60psi and it rides like a dream. We drove it for 24 hours on the highway over two days and I did not have the driver fatigue like I get in my Ford Van. Off-Road it does well also and not too harsh over the big bumps. We drive about 30 miles on some washboard, we should have aired down but we did not and so we had to take those slow. I think that if we did air down it would have been a lot more comfortable to drive on the washboard.

conqueror4x4usa

FEV Build: Aluminess Bumpers and Roof Rack Post #1

Well time flies when you run your own business. Here are some pics of the bumpers, and roof rack at the Aluminess facility. Overall a good install, I will need to make some adjustments to the front bumper to get is all aligned right but nothing to big.
IMG_3807.jpg
IMG_3808.jpg
IMG_3809.jpg
IMG_3811.jpg
IMG_3812.jpg

Last edited:

conqueror4x4usa

FEV Build: Viair Dual Air compressor and Airlift Air Bags with wireless control

So we wanted to have a compressor system on board to fill tires, toys, and run air tools. The goal was to keep it mostly out of the weather, hidden and not take up space in the Van. We decided on the Viair Dual 444C OBA system. Here are some pics of what comes with the kit. We had to shoehorn all of this somewhere on the van. Luckily in the rear bumper there is a storage compartment that was a perfect fit for all the dual compressors, wiring and even the smaller compressor for the rear air bags. The install is super clean and looks like it was meant to go there. The 2.5 gallon tank mounted right up underneath the van and mounted perfectly on the town hitch cross member. The intake air lines for each pump was run into the vehicle and hidden behind the rear interior panels to keep dirt and moisture out of the compressors.

IMG_3489.jpg

IMG_3496.jpg

Looking inside the rear bumper storage

IMG_4065.jpg

Viair Dual Compressors installed in bumper

IMG_4067.jpg

IMG_4068.jpg

IMG_4069.jpg

The smaller silver compressor is the Airlift compressor for the rear air bags. Since we usually tow a trailer around we opted for the Airbags so that we can level the ride and improve overall towing.

IMG_4070.jpg

IMG_3497.jpg

conqueror4x4usa

FEV Build: Warn Winch ZEON 12-S Platinum

We decided to install a Warn 12K winch with synthetic rope. The Aluminess bumper does accommodate for a winch of this size if you remove the control box that sits in the top of the winch and use their relocation kit. We did this and relocated the control box up under the hood. Surprisingly the Aluminess bumper had no holes drilled in the rear of it to run any of the wires so we had to drill some 1" holes to run the power and control wires. I think that if you have a winch mount in your bumper then you should also have the holes to run the wires. Maybe I did not specify that at the time of the order, I guess I just expected them to be there.

IMG_4060.jpg

IMG_4058.jpg

Weldtec Designs

Supporting Sponsor
Chevrolet express rock slider

Yes things are coming along. We have been so busy here trying to get trailer out to customers that I have not had time to put into this thread. The nerf bars have proven difficult to make but we have not given up yet. On the drivers side of the van you have the DEF tank and the aux battery. With those in the way it is hard to properly mount a real rock slider to the frame. Advanced 4x4 in Salk Lake has taken all the measurements and they said in a few weeks they should have something that will work.

Picture of DEF Tank and Aux Battery

View attachment 410470

When you were in San Diego you should have stopped in! Did you know that our rock sliders work with this setup?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues