2015 F-150 Adventure Rig

kerouac

Great build!! We have an '08 F150 pulling a trailer and a VW Vanagon....we use them for different trips...but we are definitely considering selling the van and updating the truck and your build has been inspiring us. Two questions....do you have a matching spare tire in the stock spare location under the truck? Got any pics of the interior of your camper?

BretEdge

Adventurer
Great build!! We have an '08 F150 pulling a trailer and a VW Vanagon....we use them for different trips...but we are definitely considering selling the van and updating the truck and your build has been inspiring us. Two questions....do you have a matching spare tire in the stock spare location under the truck? Got any pics of the interior of your camper?

Thanks! We don't, and I don't like that we don't. I don't think it'll fit but I've got to have my tire folks look at it. Not sure of any other options if it won't fit under the bed.

I don't have any photos of the interior just yet. I'll try to get some on our next trip or at some point when it isn't fully loaded with gear and clothes.

blebars

Went out for a MTB ride at the Klonzo trails yesterday and finished up with a drive on Willow Springs all the way into Arches NP. I was curious to see how the truck would do with the RakAttach swing away in the hitch. Unfortunately, it performed as expected - not well. The Rak Attach is a solid piece of gear but it hangs down too low and unfortunately it scraped in a couple spots on what's really a pretty easy dirt road. It might work better on trucks with more lift/bigger tires but for any type of off-roading, it's a non-starter on my truck. We'll have to use it only on easy forest service roads. Love the utility of it, though.

Here's an iPhone photo of Betty flexin' a little bit on a small ledge.

View attachment 549885

And here's one of the Rak Attach in action. Awesome utility, just too low. On another note, that bike rack is a Rocky Mount and it's TERRIBLE. Just ordered a Velocirax to replace it. Saw it at Outerbike and was very impressed with the engineering and build quality. Keeping my fingers crossed that we can make it work without the Rak Attach and maybe just a small hitch extension.

View attachment 549886
Have you had any issue with the weight of the camper/body flex and the Moon Roof on the Ford? I have had the moon roof break twice on mine. Just worried about more repairs down the road. I am in the market for the exact setup. Love what you have done!

BretEdge

Adventurer
Finally got around to processing a couple more photos from the trip.
Have you had any issue with the weight of the camper/body flex and the Moon Roof on the Ford? I have had the moon roof break twice on mine. Just worried about more repairs down the road. I am in the market for the exact setup. Love what you have done!

Holy crap, that doesn't sound good. No, I haven't - thankfully. If I had a choice I wouldn't buy a vehicle with a sun/moonroof but this one was everything I wanted at the right price - except the moonroof.

blebars

Finally got around to processing a couple more photos from the trip.

Holy crap, that doesn't sound good. No, I haven't - thankfully. If I had a choice I wouldn't buy a vehicle with a sun/moonroof but this one was everything I wanted at the right price - except the moonroof.
Me too! First repair was $1,100, then Ford replace the whole tray and moon roof, that would have cost $3,000. Its making me consider trading my truck in for a V-8 with no sun roof! Anyways I love your build. I will follow it and keep tabs. Ill load some of my truck detail on this portal as well. Most of my truck info is on overlandbound. Take care!

BretEdge

Adventurer
Had a chance to process a few more photos from the trip and thought I'd share them. We'd hoped to see wild burros while in Nevada and weren't disappointed. We saw one standing just off the trail we mountain biked and then, on our drive out, we saw this, um...pack, herd, family? The next morning I saw one more standing on a ridge over our campsite. Overwatch - I like his style.

Attachments

• Sunrise Light on Superstition Mountain Campsite-Edit.jpg
    Sunrise Light on Superstition Mountain Campsite-Edit.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 101
  • Palo Verde Tree Framing Overlander Campsite in Superstition Mountains-Edit.jpg
    Palo Verde Tree Framing Overlander Campsite in Superstition Mountains-Edit.jpg
    747.2 KB · Views: 98
  • Wild Burros at Red Rock Canyon NCA-Edit.jpg
    Wild Burros at Red Rock Canyon NCA-Edit.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 94

jmnielsen

Tinkerer
IIRC it takes ~4" to run 35's. You might be able to cheat and do it with less if you remove the crash bars (or flip the front set over) that are in front and behind the front tires.

I'm not familiar with the 2015+ trucks but my 2013 fit 35s fine with Bilsteins at 2 inches up front.

I recently went from 315/70/17s to 285/75/17s and am very happy with the switch though.

BretEdge

Adventurer
I'm not familiar with the 2015+ trucks but my 2013 fit 35s fine with Bilsteins at 2 inches up front.

I recently went from 315/70/17s to 285/75/17s and am very happy with the switch though.

I'm leaning toward the 285's instead of 305's. Good to hear you don't regret the switch.

jmnielsen

Tinkerer
I'm leaning toward the 285's instead of 305's. Good to hear you don't regret the switch.

I ended up getting the Cooper AT3 XLTs and so far like them. Very quiet on the road compared to the KO2s I had before, and seem a little more aggressive than the pictures show. Haven't had them off the beaten path yet though, so can't comment there.

Mfitz

I have 285/75/17's on my 2015 F150 and the that size fits in the spare tire space under the bed. No much extra room, but it fits without issue. I run a 5 way rotation so I take it down pretty often.

BretEdge

Adventurer
I have 285/75/17's on my 2015 F150 and the that size fits in the spare tire space under the bed. No much extra room, but it fits without issue. I run a 5 way rotation so I take it down pretty often.

Hot damn, that's great news! What suspension are you running? Any trimming necessary to fit them? Photos? Thanks!

blebars

Hot damn, that's great news! What suspension are you running? Any trimming necessary to fit them? Photos? Thanks!
Now I can carry a spare..., awesome! Can’t wait to hear if it requires trimming in the spare tire bay. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3