2015 GMC Canyon

Where can get one?
thumb.gif

lacucaracha

LOOK AT THAT GOODDERM APPROACH ANGLE, EH? Looks super good, man. Jealous. Pretty sure you just tipped me over the edge of building one myself.

deadly99

Explorer
Thanks. I'm a couple of months away from a rear bumper and I am in the design phase now. I have to park in a 20 foot long garage every night which complicates the design. I'm thinking of a swing out that is removable as the truck wont fit in the garage with a spare hanging off the back. Just put the swing out on for trips (second spare and fuel/water tanks).

Departure angle... the exhaust complicates this. Anyone have any experience with a cut and turned down exhaust? Cutting the pipe after the rear axle and bending the outlet down would simplify things...this would be a first for me. Pros and cons?

If I can cut the exhaust then I foresee cutting some of the rear fender away to increase the departure angle.

Shop time has been booked for LCA guards and sone additional skid plates under the truck.

AFSOC

Explorer
Wow! That truck is something special. The bumper was really worth the wait. I hope you saved the cocktail napkin that you sketched it on because a manufacturer should go straight to production with that bumper. I can't wait to see your rear bumper concept. Well done!

snekvasil

Adventurer
That is one beautiful bumper. I like the evolution of your Canyon so far...what an awesome truck. Thanks for posting up.

lacucaracha

Thanks. I'm a couple of months away from a rear bumper and I am in the design phase now. I have to park in a 20 foot long garage every night which complicates the design. I'm thinking of a swing out that is removable as the truck wont fit in the garage with a spare hanging off the back. Just put the swing out on for trips (second spare and fuel/water tanks).

Departure angle... the exhaust complicates this. Anyone have any experience with a cut and turned down exhaust? Cutting the pipe after the rear axle and bending the outlet down would simplify things...this would be a first for me. Pros and cons?

If I can cut the exhaust then I foresee cutting some of the rear fender away to increase the departure angle.

Shop time has been booked for LCA guards and sone additional skid plates under the truck.

Don't think cutting it would hurt anything. Other option would be like a custom side dump before the rear wheel.

Do you have a hitch? Isn't that the biggest issue with the departure angle? Mine drags coming out of my damn driveway if I'm not careful.

deadly99

Explorer
Don't think cutting it would hurt anything. Other option would be like a custom side dump before the rear wheel.

Do you have a hitch? Isn't that the biggest issue with the departure angle? Mine drags coming out of my damn driveway if I'm not careful.

I'm not sure there is room for a side ditch (muffler location versus rear wheel). I will check tonight

I'm planning to relocate the hitch higher and hidden behind the license plate. Spare tire has already been removed and relocated into the bed. If I can get that exhaust pipe out of the way (still looking for feedback from anyone who has done this...pros and cons...increase in sound acceptable?) I should have quite a bit of room to chop the fenders and put something cool together. I see Taco's with this config...so I wont be reinventing the wheel. More borrowing from others designs and ideas and incorporating them for this model of truck. I've already crossed the line (wife is pissed with the new bumper, lol) with the front bumper giving that zombie apocalypse look...might as well finish it off with the rear of the truck.

20% done the loan payments. Once finished this thing is getting the wheel wells chopped and some 35's :)

rkj__

Adventurer
The first gen Canyons have a turn down exhaust from the factory. No issues. I like not seeing a tail pipe, and it's not in the way if anything.

Nice job on the bumper btw.

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
The bumper looks great. You aren't thinking to put a turndown on the exhaust after the muffler are you? In our climate, I believe it is necessary to get the exhaust out to the outside of the body, the condensation from the tailpipe in winter will destroy sheet metal. Pretty much any 88+ GM truck is a prime example, rotten above the tailpipe. Moving mine is high on my 'to do' list.

deadly99

Explorer
That was what I was thinking. After the muffler, behind the rear axle. Condensation....not something I had even considered...THANKS

The bumper looks great. You aren't thinking to put a turndown on the exhaust after the muffler are you? In our climate, I believe it is necessary to get the exhaust out to the outside of the body, the condensation from the tailpipe in winter will destroy sheet metal. Pretty much any 88+ GM truck is a prime example, rotten above the tailpipe. Moving mine is high on my 'to do' list.

lacucaracha

I'm not sure there is room for a side ditch (muffler location versus rear wheel). I will check tonight

I'm planning to relocate the hitch higher and hidden behind the license plate. Spare tire has already been removed and relocated into the bed. If I can get that exhaust pipe out of the way (still looking for feedback from anyone who has done this...pros and cons...increase in sound acceptable?) I should have quite a bit of room to chop the fenders and put something cool together. I see Taco's with this config...so I wont be reinventing the wheel. More borrowing from others designs and ideas and incorporating them for this model of truck. I've already crossed the line (wife is pissed with the new bumper, lol) with the front bumper giving that zombie apocalypse look...might as well finish it off with the rear of the truck.

20% done the loan payments. Once finished this thing is getting the wheel wells chopped and some 35's :)

I disconnected the muffler to see how it sounded out of curiosity, and I hate to say it, but the 6 speed transmission and penchant for low RPMs makes it sound awkward. You may try it. I'm sure an aftermarket setup could get you infront of the tire for a side dump.

This is the best bumper I've seen for a (first gen) twin:

Hitch behind the license plate.

Sorry if the pic is small, on my cell. Google 2015 Colorado rear bumper and you'll see it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater