2015 GMC Sierra z71 Half ton Expedition Build

Seabass

Idiot
I'd suggest a leveling kit for your front. Since your fussin about the soft rear- I'd do add-a-leaves (long ones) or go to a reputable spring shop and have some made up and installed. I've used add-a-leaves on nearly every truck I've owned. I usually get them from summit racing. I've had air bags, and custom springs. But for me the summit springs are hard to beat for the money. They add a couple inches lift and help pack loads better. It'll ride a little stiffer, but not bad. Just my two cents.

catfish1312

I think it can be done but the ride characteristics will be different between the front and rear suspension. Icon uses digressive valving in their shocks (basically at slow speeds it is a stiff ride but as you increase speed it becomes softer) and according to some guys on other forums the Ranchos are a very stiff single rate(doesn't self adjust according to speed). So like I said it can be done but from what I've read it sounds like you'd be riding like a Cadillac up front and bump stops in the back.
As for my truck it's completely stock other than a BAK Industries RollBak tonneau. I plan on adding the Icon stage 5 since it has the damping adjuster knob thing (not sure about the technical term). I am most likely going to do as Seabass said and get a set of custom springs. Once I add that I will see how feasible it would be to do a little body cutting so I can fit 35's all around. And when you get the lift and tires will you get a full size matching spare or just keep the stock spare? I'll try to figure out how to post some pictures of it later.

Last edited:

CRolandLJ

Adventurer
Truck looks great, what wheels are those? Can you post a forward facing pic to show how much if any they stick out?

11MPG

Truck looks great. I think a body lift is what you're looking for regarding extra clearance. I have the Zone Offroad 1.5 inch body lift in mine with a leveling kit+ rear blocks and It's great for flexing off road cause the body is always 1.5 inches up off the tires. Really easy to install, only $180, and doesn't change the factory ride. If you want more lift afterwards just throw on a 2 inch level in the front with bigger rear blocks.

http://zoneoffroad.com/zone-offroad-products-15in-body-lift-chevy-gmc-pickup/c9151

IMG_20150411_092555873_zps2z3xpvqx.jpg

mlmeans

Adventurer
I will look into those for sure sound right for my needs with 6 of us and stuff gets heavy fast

I'd suggest a leveling kit for your front. Since your fussin about the soft rear- I'd do add-a-leaves (long ones) or go to a reputable spring shop and have some made up and installed. I've used add-a-leaves on nearly every truck I've owned. I usually get them from summit racing. I've had air bags, and custom springs. But for me the summit springs are hard to beat for the money. They add a couple inches lift and help pack loads better. It'll ride a little stiffer, but not bad. Just my two cents.

mlmeans

Adventurer
That's a great ride by the way

Truck looks great. I think a body lift is what you're looking for regarding extra clearance. I have the Zone Offroad 1.5 inch body lift in mine with a leveling kit+ rear blocks and It's great for flexing off road cause the body is always 1.5 inches up off the tires. Really easy to install, only $180, and doesn't change the factory ride. If you want more lift afterwards just throw on a 2 inch level in the front with bigger rear blocks.

http://zoneoffroad.com/zone-offroad-products-15in-body-lift-chevy-gmc-pickup/c9151

IMG_20150411_092555873_zps2z3xpvqx.jpg

mlmeans

Adventurer
Sure will just FYI they are fuel beast wheels 18 by 9 with + 20 mm off set. They are flush with wheel well edge. I may space inch add fender flares but not decided yet .

QUOTE=CRolandLJ;1935904]Truck looks great, what wheels are those? Can you post a forward facing pic to show how much if any they stick out?[/QUOTE]

Seabass

Idiot
How are the springs to install?

Ain't a big deal at all. Jack up the chassis, put some jack stands under it. Take off the rear wheels and get a jack under the diff. Then just loosen up and remove the U-bolts and let the axel down. That gives you access to the spring packs. Remove the factory center bolt and install the new leaves where they fit in the progression of length. Install new center pin and re-assemble. Ok- so I left a lot of small details out....but that is the gist of it. Add-a-leaves aren't bad to install. I think I did a fairly detailed run down of a set on my build thread- I think. I can't remember for sure. Anyway, it's pretty straight forward. No fancy or special tools are usually needed. I can generally knock out a rear axel in less than two hours. Since your rig is new you won't be fighting rust and stuck parts. I'd say it's gonna go smooth.

mlmeans

Adventurer
Took truck out try new wheels tires and man it's night and day along some back fire roads here in Idaho. Took my awesome wife bear hunting while out and bam she showed me up... Got her first bear. Side note we will eat the meat and save the hide. Try not to waste much.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    592.5 KB · Views: 36

Seabass

Idiot
Took truck out try new wheels tires and man it's night and day along some back fire roads here in Idaho. Took my awesome wife bear hunting while out and bam she showed me up... Got her first bear. Side note we will eat the meat and save the hide. Try not to waste much.

That right there....that's why we jack around with our rigs. We spend hour upon hour, and dollar on top of dollar to have what? Opportunity. The opportunity to make the most amazing memories. You can't put a price on these things. I'm so glad you guys got to do that. I don't know you, hell I'll probably never meet you. But I'm happy as can be for ya! It's a good thread, an even better rig, and the priceless part is the ride. Congratulations.

That sounds good I'll look into that just not enough funds for icon right now

I had a King OEM Performance kit to level my F350, want to do the same with my 2500HD. It is expensive but I think my solid axle F350 with Kings was not only better suited off the pavement but also smoother on the road than my IFS truck

mlmeans

Adventurer
Thank you Kentucky. Given climate today I was worried about posting pic of the bear it we come together as a family hunting together and it was such a great experience including teaching my children how to clean and skin the bear so they learn where food comes from and how grateful we are to have it. Truly a great trip.

That right there....that's why we jack around with our rigs. We spend hour upon hour, and dollar on top of dollar to have what? Opportunity. The opportunity to make the most amazing memories. You can't put a price on these things. I'm so glad you guys got to do that. I don't know you, hell I'll probably never meet you. But I'm happy as can be for ya! It's a good thread, an even better rig, and the priceless part is the ride. Congratulations.

'05TJLWBRUBY

Adventurer
This is Awesome, Congrats!!! This is what it's all about- getting out and enjoying life. Icing on the cake she filled her tag. Some good eating there and memories you'll never forget. Truck looks great by the way!

Best of Luck,

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach