2015 Sprinter 4x4 build begins

Err

Observer
Do you watch the LOD value via a scan gauge or similar device and downshift accordingly? That seems to improve mileage for many.

I don't but I do typically down-shift when climbing big grades. Might have to consider a scan gauge.

Err

Observer
Some fun new toys just showed up...

Renogy 100W flexible panel and a 125ah Stark Power lithium battery -
smugshot_2723983-L.jpg

I'm going to tie the Stark battery to the vehicle charging system and then to solar mounted on my roof box. I was going to start right off with 200W but the Luna has been so gentle on my factory 100ah LA battery that I'm not sure that I need much more than the 125ah Stark and 100W. In any event, I've gone with a charge controller that can handle a second 100W panel if I end up needing it.

Hey Err - how are you planning on mounting the flexible panel to your roof box? I have 2x100w flexible panels & originally planned on 3m double-sided tape in addition to a few mechanical fasteners - but, turns out the required amount of tape would run hundreds of dollars... So, now wondering about adhesive sealant to mount directly to the steel roof to maintain ability to run thru automatic car wash... the backing on my panels is a thin aluminum & they are 1/8" or so thick as yours appear to be.

Err

Observer
Hey Err - how are you planning on mounting the flexible panel to your roof box? I have 2x100w flexible panels & originally planned on 3m double-sided tape in addition to a few mechanical fasteners - but, turns out the required amount of tape would run hundreds of dollars... So, now wondering about adhesive sealant to mount directly to the steel roof to maintain ability to run thru automatic car wash... the backing on my panels is a thin aluminum & they are 1/8" or so thick as yours appear to be.

Hundreds of dollars eh? Yikes!

I've been kicking around ideas of double-sided tape or adhesive. Hadn't priced anything out yet. If I add a second panel, it will be directly to the roof as there is only room for 1 on the box.

Wondering if Sikaflex 221 would do the trick to glue the panel to the box. Honestly, I just haven't researched that piece much, there's got to be a reasonably priced option for double-sided tape or some sort of adhesive.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Hundreds of dollars eh? Yikes!
I've been kicking around ideas of double-sided tape or adhesive. Hadn't priced anything out yet.
3m VHB double-sided tape (the go to stuff) is about $1.00 per foot for 1 inch wide, in quantity.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
3m VHB double-sided tape (the go to stuff) is about $1.00 per foot for 1 inch wide, in quantity.
What he said, especially if you go to the trouble to clean the surface well and apply the 3M adhesion promoter.

_hein_

Observer
Nice build coming along here. I saw where mass loading products were mentioned. I would suggest 3M Thinsulate sound/thermal insulation which is engineered for vehicles. It is used by the OEMs and has been thoroughly tested to make sure is stands up to heat and vibration inside the walls of your dark colored 4x4. Thinsulate will dampen sheetmetal so there is no need for additional mass loading products. That saves weight, effort and cost. We have been authorized by 3M to supply Thinsulate to DIY and commercial builders. Please PM call or email to request a sample.

Let the build continue. Love the 4x4 Sprinters.

All the best,
Hein & Kim
Impact, Inc.
Hood River, OR
54l-49O-5O98
heinvs@----->
Impact3D.com

+1 on using VHB. I used it extensively to put together our van.
Search 3M VHB on youtube to learn more about its amazing properties and uses.

Err

Observer
Nice build coming along here. I saw where mass loading products were mentioned. I would suggest 3M Thinsulate sound/thermal insulation which is engineered for vehicles. It is used by the OEMs and has been thoroughly tested to make sure is stands up to heat and vibration inside the walls of your dark colored 4x4. Thinsulate will dampen sheetmetal so there is no need for additional mass loading products. That saves weight, effort and cost. We have been authorized by 3M to supply Thinsulate to DIY and commercial builders. Please PM call or email to request a sample.

Let the build continue. Love the 4x4 Sprinters.

All the best,
Hein & Kim
Impact, Inc.
Hood River, OR
54l-49O-5O98
heinvs@----->
Impact3D.com

+1 on using VHB. I used it extensively to put together our van.
Search 3M VHB on youtube to learn more about its amazing properties and uses.

Hey Hein! Toni here, bought some Thinsulate from you a month or so ago, already started using it in combination with a bit of Damplifier Pro. So far, so good but have a long way to go.

Crisis averted!

Looks like the 5952 variant of this tape is available in various sizes on Amazon for reasonable prices. That is, assuming that a few strips at 1" or so width will hold down a panel.
http://www.amazon.com/3M-Tape-5952-Multiple-Sizes/dp/B00K2N2HR4

I might try the 3m vhb in 2-3" wide just around the perimeter of each panel, each 18"x8'... looks like about $130 or so per the amazon link & should hold? I was thinking I needed to tape the entire panel surface? $$$$

Err

Observer
@occasionaldirt - Yeah, I'm guessing there's no need to tape the whole thing, just around the edges.

Panel bed is in! Still have a few small things to take care of but it's 95% there. Can't wait till the next trip to try it out.

smugshot_4927672-L.jpg

smugshot_2187203-L.jpg

smugshot_5080651-L.jpg

fog cutter

Adventurer
....where mass loading products were mentioned. I would suggest 3M Thinsulate sound/thermal insulation .... [which] dampen sheetmetal so there is no need for additional mass loading products. ....

if you have not already done so in another thread, could you elaborate on this property? i would assume insulation is only minimally attached to inner body metal, so can't quite grasp how it serves the same purpose as a bonded, mass loading product.

good stuff on your link, too. thanks

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I ran 1/2" 3M VHB 40mil tape around the edges and because I had extra and added (not needed) a X in the middle. The tape recommended by 3M technical is rated at 90lb/sqin and up to 300°. You get once chance placing it and they cautioned me about the difficulty of removing it down the road. After a couple years of off roading and Arizona heat its never coming off without some serious effort. I have dragged tree limbs, loaded on top and stood on the panel without any issues. At under 3lbs mounted its the only panel I want on top of my rig.

3M 4611 (~$22) is the product 3M technical recommended and I could not be happier with its performance-

3M 4611 spec - http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...-per-case?N=6105+3294314441+4294870616&rt=rud

Love this Sprinter 4x4 build

Attachments

• IMG_2069.jpg
    IMG_2069.jpg
    548.5 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:

Err

Observer
I ran 1/2" 3M VHB 40mil tape around the edges and because I had extra and added (not needed) a X in the middle. The tape recommended by 3M technical is rated at 90lb/sqin and up to 300°. You get once chance placing it and they cautioned me about the difficulty of removing it down the road. After a couple years of off roading and Arizona heat its never coming off without some serious effort. I have dragged tree limbs, loaded on top and stood on the panel without any issues. At under 3lbs mounted its the only panel I want on top of my rig.

3M 4611 (~$22) is the product 3M technical recommended and I could not be happier with its performance-

3M 4611 spec - http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...-per-case?N=6105+3294314441+4294870616&rt=rud

Love this Sprinter 4x4 build

Thanks for the input! Looks like this stuff is on Amazon as well -
http://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotch-4611-general-purpose/dp/B00I4DW800

fog cutter

Adventurer
...cautioned me about the difficulty of removing it down the road. After a couple years of off roading and Arizona heat its never coming off ....

not to be Dougie-Downer, but what happens if the solar panel fails? could a new one (same size) just be attached over the old? don't know much about these newfangled gadgets all you fellers have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater