2016-2017 F150 4x4 EcoBoost - Real world experiences??

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Most online ads around here list the VIN number, and you can quickly get a copy of the original window sticker from Ford's website somewhere. A little google work will find you a link to the look-up page, they tend to move it around some. I spent months comparing window stickers on used trucks before buying.

Also, all the Ford dealerships in this area have links in their ads to the original window stickers, even on used trucks, which makes it pretty simple if that's where you're looking.

At any rate, the window sticker is the quickest way to find the large tank without crawling under the truck with a tape. On my '13 there's no physical evidence of it otherwise.

You used to be able to get the original window sticker or the detailed spec sheet on etis.ford.com However, it's not worked for the last 2 years.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
So the wife and I went and test drove some trucks this weekend. She didn't care for the Ram 1500 and she really liked the F-150 with the 2.7 EB so I think that's the one we'll get.

The one we drove was a 2018 with the 10 speed transmission (kind of cool that there was a display that would show you what gear it was in - on all my previous automatic transmission vehicles I had to guess.) I can get a 2017 for a couple thousand less but it will have the 6 speed. Has anyone driven both? Would it be worth it to hold out for a 2018 with the 10 speed?

TantoTrailers

I love my 2016 F150 XL 3.5...forgive my new-bie-ness but I just found out I have the EcoBoost engine so I am learning a lot about my truck! Just did an update on the Sync radio which was giving me some problems...all better now! Hoping to get some skid plates and see what the 2WD can't handle!

D

Deleted member 9101

So the wife and I went and test drove some trucks this weekend. She didn't care for the Ram 1500 and she really liked the F-150 with the 2.7 EB so I think that's the one we'll get.

The one we drove was a 2018 with the 10 speed transmission (kind of cool that there was a display that would show you what gear it was in - on all my previous automatic transmission vehicles I had to guess.) I can get a 2017 for a couple thousand less but it will have the 6 speed. Has anyone driven both? Would it be worth it to hold out for a 2018 with the 10 speed?

I have the 6 speed. It's a great tranny, I have never once felt that it was somehow how lacking. There is not a big difference between the two in terms of performance when you are empty. Where the 10 speed wins is towing, 10 gears gives the truck more options to choose from. It has a really low 1st gear and will skip gears if it doesn't need them.

Both trannies can take a massive amount of abuse and have a very low rate of failure. The 10 speed might act a little odd until it learns your driving habits.

Cackalak Han

Explorer

Remember a couple of things:
- The GVWR on the 2.7 is 6,500lbs. Typically means ~1,500lb payload. 3.5 and 5.0 get 7k lbs. (and 2.7 with payload pkg)
- If you will tow a lot, may be worth getting 9.75" gear set. Standard on 2.7 with the Payload package, all 3.5, and 5.0 with 3.73 gearing.

Transmissions: Either should be good. Probably not much difference in MPG.

deserteagle56

Adventurer

6 speed in my 2016 F150 3.5 Ecoboost. Great tranny with a great reputation so if it were me I'd stay with it. Give the 10 speed a couple more years to prove itself - it's a lot more complicated than the 6 speed. The 10 speed might give you a smidge more mpg, though.
For me, dependability is always top priority.

D

Deleted member 9101

6 speed in my 2016 F150 3.5 Ecoboost. Great tranny with a great reputation so if it were me I'd stay with it. Give the 10 speed a couple more years to prove itself - it's a lot more complicated than the 6 speed. The 10 speed might give you a smidge more mpg, though.
For me, dependability is always top priority.
There is already millions of 10 speeds on the road. They are also in the Mustang, Chevy trucks, and now the Ranger. It takes a massive amount of power to get them to flinch... Far more than anyone on this site will ever make...lol.

The 10 speed in the new Super Duty is based on it.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member

Apple for apple, I would go with the 10 speed. Even if you pay a few thousands more, you will get it back when you sell it as by then there is a good chance that the 10 speed will be more desirable. Even if you don't intend to sell it right now, you never know when you will decide to sell it.

Most "normal" people (outside of this forum) always want the greatest and latest.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
There is already millions of 10 speeds on the road. They are also in the Mustang, Chevy trucks, and now the Ranger. It takes a massive amount of power to get them to flinch... Far more than anyone on this site will ever make...lol.

The 10 speed in the new Super Duty is based on it.

I wouldn’t worry about either transmission. Just regular upkeep ought to do it.

zuren

Adventurer
Thanks for the continued replies to this thread. i'm still taking notes...

So the wife and I are still not on the same page on which direction to go, so I'm pausing on most of my research. She wants a midsize; I thought 6 seat belts was one of our requirements...you ain't gettin' 6 people in a midsize legally! She claims the parking will be easier. True, but we don't go anywhere that parking is an issue; we live in a small town and most runs are to the grocery store where you can easily park a 1 ton, crew cab, 8 ft. bed truck pulling a gooseneck...as long as you are willing to walk a little. A Colorado with a 6'2" box is only 6.9" shorter than a F150 with a 5.5' box. Colorado is only 5.5" narrower.

A 1/2 ton like a F150 gets you 6 seats, wider box, larger back seat, and in most of the cases I've seen, better fuel economy than a midsize. I'm seeing little reason to consider a midsize.

If she is going to insist on a midsize, the Jeep Gladiator starts coming into play. From what I've read, the back seat is larger than pretty much all midsize trucks, you get a 5'2" bed with some towing, and I could get a manual tranny (something I would miss when I get rid of my VW).

D

Deleted member 9101

Thanks for the continued replies to this thread. i'm still taking notes...

So the wife and I are still not on the same page on which direction to go, so I'm pausing on most of my research. She wants a midsize; I thought 6 seat belts was one of our requirements...you ain't gettin' 6 people in a midsize legally! She claims the parking will be easier. True, but we don't go anywhere that parking is an issue; we live in a small town and most runs are to the grocery store where you can easily park a 1 ton, crew cab, 8 ft. bed truck pulling a gooseneck...as long as you are willing to walk a little. A Colorado with a 6'2" box is only 6.9" shorter than a F150 with a 5.5' box. Colorado is only 5.5" narrower.

A 1/2 ton like a F150 gets you 6 seats, wider box, larger back seat, and in most of the cases I've seen, better fuel economy than a midsize. I'm seeing little reason to consider a midsize.

If she is going to insist on a midsize, the Jeep Gladiator starts coming into play. From what I've read, the back seat is larger than pretty much all midsize trucks, you get a 5'2" bed with some towing, and I could get a manual tranny (something I would miss when I get rid of my VW).

I was in a similar situation when I was truck shopping. I started off looking at four door Tacomas and ended up buying a Supercrew F150. The F150 ended up costing less, getting better fuel economy, drives better, pulls better, and has muuuch more interior room. Toyota gave me zero reason to buy a Tacoma over an F150.

Reactions: JTM

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I have the jump seat in the 1st row so technically I could put 6 people in there. Would be a bit tight but not bad. Actually my biggest gripe about the center seat is that it's almost too big! Reaching over the folded down seat back to get something out of the passenger seat is a real stretch, and I'm 6'1". Someone with shorter arms than me would have a real tough time doing it.

Not much leg room for that middle passenger though.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Just think.... Your truck is still stock... It only gets better as you play with it ;-).

I drive by Bandimere Speedway at least once a week (it's about 5 miles from my home.) That's a pretty well known NHRA drag strip.

I don't like the idea of pushing a stock vehicle to its limits but I'd be lying if I said I never considered taking the new truck there on one of the "take it to the track" nights.

It probably wouldn't be the only EcoBoost there, either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nowhereman