2016 4Runner TRD Pro

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
With threads debating between a used Land Cruiser, and a new or used 5th Generation 4Runner around, I'll take the opportunity to display my choice:

Yes, I sold my 2001 UZJ 100. It was time, and although the Land Cruiser hadn't given me any problems, I was looking for something a bit smaller...and needed to reduce my stable of cars.

My choice was to "upgrade" to a 2016 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro in Graphite Metallic.

i-d92WJJJ-L.jpg

The traction control features as well as locking rear differential were a plus for me. I've been building travel rigs for years, and don't do large tires or suspension lifts over 2.5", so the upgraded suspension was a welcome addition. Excellent quality components, factory warranty, and one less day in the shop installing a lift. Plus, the difference in price between this model and a Trail Edition was less than my adding an ICON kit, wheels and tires.

I'll keep it light and low key; with some simple modifications for functionality...then head South to Baja for some exploring!

I drove it off the lot with 5 miles on it; and in less than 30 miles had it in my shop apart and ready for the basic upgrades.

i-Zw7qvxV-L.jpg

First, a Pelfreybilt hidden winch mount, Warn VR8000S winch, PFran LED backup lights and ARB Rear Differential breather were on the list.

The LEDs are such an improvement. I'd suggest any person looking to upgrade a vehicle start here for back up lights and interior lighting (still waiting on a kit for the 5th Gen 4Runners' interior).

i-zsh59dP-L.jpg

Plug and play install.

Then:

i-SMjwtXN-L.jpg

Front end removal is pretty straight forward. I'd suggest watching a couple videos on YouTube for some tricks. I'm actually pretty impressed with the design.

The Pelfreybilt hidden winch plate is well made; and allows for fit adjustments. All holes lined up as needed. Unit wasn't coated or painted, so I took some time to prime and paint the mount for corrosion protection. If you order one and want it powdercoated; take that into account time-wise.

i-fcWCShh-L.jpg

Once installed, the Warn VR8000S winch (Thanks to Wil at Sierra Expeditions for making the order and shipping easy!) mounted up easily. I'm running the cables directly to the factory Toyota battery; and was pleased to see that Toyota made the terminals easy for mounting additional accessories. A National Luna Power Pack is sitting in the garage from my 100 Series, so I'll have dual batteries with self-jump capability.

i-zf5KDWB-L.jpg

Cut the hole for the fairlead and clip the front fascia back on! Low key and functional!

i-gHJC38S-L.jpg

Then, an ARB Breather extension kit was used to extend the rear differential breather up into the rear quarter panel, by the stock tool kit. Non-load bearing, the filter assembly was attached to a body brace using 3M permanent trim tape...works great and no drilling. Super simple install; the kit comes with all the right sized fittings and 8 meters of tubing. It can support up to 4 breathers. Since the other breathers are pretty well routed on the truck, I stuck with the rear diff for now. I might extend the rear locker breather tube in the future.

i-cR7BHXj-L.jpg

Next up.... to roof rack or not to roof rack; that is the question!

-H-

mattv94

How much weight do you expect to have once you're done?

Is there a possibility of your suspension sagging as it's my understanding the TRD Pro don't have the heaviest shocks in the world.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
The winch mount and winch weigh under 100 pounds, and I've noticed no sag or difference in handling.

I had read that the TRD coils were soft, but my experience is different. It feels as stiff as my other rigs with OME heavy springs and shocks on them. So far I love the ride quality.

As for total weight, I'm assuming 100 lbs. for the winch and mount, 90 lbs. for rocker/door protection, and 40-50 lbs. for a roof rack, if it gets installed.

The National Luna Power Pack, Group 31 battery, tembo tusk fridge slide and fridge, along with a basic storage floor/tie down system will likely run 150 lbs in the rear.

It all adds up, but by keeping it simple I should have plenty of GVW left over for water, fuel and gear.

-H-

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
I've looked at the Eazi Awn racks, and really like them. The rack from my 100 is sitting in my garage, and is amazing. African Outback Products (now defunct) made the full size aluminum rack and full length rails, and includes 3 jerry can mounts, a high lift mount, under rack camp table and 3/4 self supporting awning...about $4K in rack at the time.

i-G4XLdJf-L.jpg

i-ZkSpRvV-L.jpg

But...when a friend with a 100 Series drives by to look at the 4Runner, and mentions he's been getting the run around from a rack company (Not any ExPo vendors, btw), and this rack is already set for a 100 Series; well...a deal is struck, so we'll install that rack on his next week.

So...my rack decision, and this is going to be sacrilege to some: Yakima on the existing factory roof rails.

With a 165lb. dynamic load capacity, I'll have enough for some bulky, lightweight gear (inflatable paddleboards, kayaks, sleeping bags, skis, etc.) and be able to throw a sheet of plywood, etc. on it when needed. I'm not planning on using a roof tent (might actually try the 2017 Yakima tent, it's 70 lbs.), and stick with my Campmor ground tent from Equipt.

Weight is kept down, as well as not paying the "roof rack penalty" in mileage and center of gravity.

-H-

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Let there be light!

I'm not very big on auxiliary lighting, but sometimes it is welcome. The occasional drive along a Mexican road at night, or the need to light up a recovery scene if the rig becomes stuck as the sun goes down. I had the opportunity to use Rigid SR series lights on the Expedition Overland 4Runners, and was impressed with the low profile single row led design and amazing lumen output.

Even better, I picked up a lightly used 20" bar from an ExPo member; saving some (read:A LOT!) of dinero over a new light.

Mounting was almost too easy with brackets bolting to unused existing holes in the upper grille crossmember.

image.jpeg

The final product fits nicely behind the upper grille...almost invisible until needed.

image.jpeg

Next up...dealing with one of my gripes about the TRD Pro.

image.jpeg

-H-

Last edited:

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
With an upcoming Mexico trip on the horizon, and with 200 miles on the odometer, I thought is was time to take a little trip.

For those familiar with Arizona, a couple hundred miles of dirt fit the bill. Outside of Prescott, the Senator Highway was an easy first test, then on to Bloody Basin Road to Sheeps Bridge.

Camp was set up late, with a soak in some hot springs first thing in the morning.

i-ZqbFZ6m-L.jpg

i-QrZ4G9D-L.jpg

Hidden hot springs!

i-TrZ43QK-L.jpg

Under "normal" circumstances, the footbridge is the only way across the Verde River. Let's just say the 4Runner's fording depth is around 30+ inches...theoretically. :snorkel: :coffeedrink:

i-qTzNVPM-L.jpg

I'm amazingly impressed with this truck. The Nitto tires performed excellently, aired down to 25 psi. The suspension handled rocks, sand, washboard and gravel; wet or dry, without a hitch. Being able to lock the rear differential, along with adding the a-trac, allows pucker-inducing terrain to be tackled with confidence; lest getting stuck turns the truck into a $40,000 pool toy.

-H-

Last edited:

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
I haven't noticed any difference with the winch up front. Figure the additional weight was only around 60 lbs., taking into account the removal of the aluminum OEM internal bumper.

-H-

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
Looks great! I am slowly reverting back to the KISS approach. I think you are going in the right direction with this build.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
I've built several travel rigs over the years...and each one has less "stuff" attached to it!

-H-

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
On to a "gripe" about the TRD Pro package:

It comes from the factory with a "full size; non-matching spare." There's a part of me that says, "Seriously, Toyota? $43,000.00+ and the spare tire doesn't match the upgraded ones that the package is essentially built on?"

However, when I step back and realize that the spare provided is good enough for 99% of these rigs, I can understand.

I for one, can't imagine driving through Baja, Mexico without a matching spare. So, $450 or so later, a new matching TRD wheel and Nitto Tire replaced the Bridgestone.

i-bgVnbH9-L.jpg

The original spare will become a second, way back o' beyond spare (although I dig the steel wheel).

I'll do a 5 tire rotation, so the new wheel was fitted with a TPS.

i-PpZ57vK-L.jpg

-H-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shazpete