2016 Colorado Diesel

east_tn_81

Adventurer
I think that is just a conservative estimate. When the Dodge ecodiesel was released its numbers were lower than what people were reporting.

ryan212

I so love building them - what I'd like is the twins motor to come out as a stand-alone so I could put it into my H3 Alpha.... since I drive old vehicles I have to plan in advance about the next car - but 2 or 3 out. I'm driving the project I built 3 years ago, the FJ40 will be done next year (hopefully for the Rally), then the D2 will be the driver after that.... once I'm driving that, I'll either diesel the H3 or trade for one of these twins.... I've someone who is really interested in the Fiat, finished - should that happen I can buy the Colorado for cash and keep my H3 (yeah, most hate them, I love it).

Diesel the H3, I love mine. (2006 H3 with a 6.6L Duramax)

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Does anyone else think that 28-31 mpg from a 2.8 turbo Duramax is dismal ? The 1500 Dodge Crew Cab Eco Diesel i drove got 28.9 mpg. That is one heavy truck compared to a Colorado. Engine is about the same size. I figured the GM would get close to 40 mpg, empty @ 55 mph.

A couple of auto reviewers have noted that 30-34mpg wouldnt be too difficult to do after spending a day with it.

I bet it will do much better then it's rated for. The dodge sure does. The eps ratings seem to be conservative now

I agree. Initial reviews seem to show that the actual MPG is better but since diesel is used to clean the DPF that's where the fuel gets wasted. Guys are commenting that they can watch the "instantaneous" MPG on the DIC drop to low 20s when the truck hits a regen request, killing the average.
Perhaps with some time, GM will improve fueling strategies (leaner) for the regen that improve with software updates.

Dalko43

Explorer
I never really understood the fixation with solid axles and mechanical locking diffs. The good old humvee (and it is over 20 years old) IFS (I think rear isn't solid too). My very capable liberty IFS too. I won't buy a vehicle without an on-road all wheel drive system, so this means most pickups are unfortunately not up to my standards. We spend most of our time worrying about safety in the most extreme offroad conditions at the expense of safety on roads where we still spend 70% or more of our time. AWD enhances safety in those inclement conditions that call me to the wilderness. Part time 4wd is nearly useless in those conditions.

The original HMMWV was designed to be an all-purpose vehicle, and was not specifically geared towards off-road capability. If you think of all the major military advances/operations (initial invasion of Iraq, Patton's advance into France, counter-attack at Inchon) the military always seeks out and uses avenues of advance (major roads, highways, ect.) to conduct its movements/attacks for the sake of logistics. So its not like that truck was designed to go do Camel-Trophy style terrain, though it could probably muscle through that kind of terrain with locking differentials and some good recovery gear.

Most offroad-oriented vehicles still have a rear solid axle, and many still have front solid axles, because they offer better articulation over independent suspensions. The tradeoff is that they don't offer the same on-road handling and comfort as independent suspension.

As for locking differentials, I'm fairly certain that most, if not all military HMMWV's had one. In fact, many AWD crossovers on the road today have a center differential to aid in low-traction situations.

Back on topic, diesel Coloardo could be an awesome vehicle for the prospective overlander. Hopefully the price is reasonable and competitive with the Tacoma and Frontier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk