2016 Colorado Diesel

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Always cracks me up how crazy people are about trucks. Lots of factors go into why a midsized truck might be a better fit for someone than a full size. Around my neck of the woods Subaru wagons are the anti CUV, the Suburbans are driven by stay at home moms who bus kids around all day for working parents. The Minivan families have 3+ kids in their house and don't camp they go to the airport and post pictures of Hawaii and Europe on their Face book wall. The only people with pickups are the hired labor that rolls into town every morning to paint, rebuild bathrooms and kitchens in the 1950's ranchers selling for over 1 million in a week with multiple bids.

I count two Tacomas and two Nissan Frontiers owned by dads who Mountain bike and have kids in HS. I will never own a Tacoma even though I really like them given the interior just fails the wife test in a huge way. The last camping trip my wife was pissed because the Sequoia Limited lacks lumbar adjustment on the front passenger seat. A diesel Canyon would probably work. HA That and the Sequoia is really larger than we need and I rarely drive it because of its size. The subaru gets driven due to mileage and its size. The Canyon would be a nice alternative to the subaru and the sequoia. If I needed a big truck I'd have one. I don't need one. I grew up with horses had family running cattle on huge ranches in Northern CA trust me I know what work trucks are and what real pickups are used for. Ever cut a 1400lb Bull out of a heard using two cutting horses and a 1978 Dodge Tophand pickup with a real Bull bar? Been there done that good thing that bar was made of solid 3/4 plate and big beefy bars, I took it off the truck years later it weighed 85lbs and all it was were two plate brackets holding a bar between them across the top just even with the hood of the truck and same width as the frame rails. I don't need a truck like that. but one that can do SF to LA getting mid to high 20's with a bed cap on the bed or even an FWC in the future would be great. One that has 4low for some steep dirt roads for some fun exploring trips great! Don't really need a trail machine per say.

Clutch

<---Pass
So when I say compare apples to apples, you are still comparing apples to oranges..

Wouldn't it be comparing apples to candied covered apples with sprinkles...

FACBL4FG0ZWH8CK.LARGE.jpg

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Always cracks me up how crazy people are about trucks.

No kidding, meh they are all crap..."tits or wheels, man...they'll give ya trouble..."once you realize that all is good with the world.

Looks like the diesel Collie would be a good do-it-all vehicle.

superbuickguy

Explorer
People who are not as well off as you? I know plenty of people who only have one car for their family.

rich? hardly. I have a DD, and I have toys I built. I paid for the toys by getting the occasional deal, but mostly by hard work by buying cheap cars and selling them for a lot. Example:
I bought this for $700

it didn't run, was hit on both ends.
I put a new pump on it, a turbo system I bought on craigslist for $300, did the body work, painted it, put new carpet and a new seat cover (the type that requires hog ring pliers), put 3/4 running gear under it, rebuilt the transmission and sold it for $7500.
Total cost in parts and everything was less then $3000 - and I used it for 5 years.
or this one

it, I did everything to it

had 5k in it, sold it for 12k

so please, take your cry for sympathy somewhere else - I worked quite for what I've got.

Clutch

<---Pass

so please, take your cry for sympathy somewhere else - I worked quite for what I've got.

Side pipes!!! Hells yeah!!! You never see those anymore. We had 'em on our F250 Hi-Boy for a couple years...you had to leap out of the cab during the summer while wearing shorts, so you wouldn't get 3rd degree burns on the back of yer legs.

Texan1983

Adventurer
rich? hardly. I have a DD, and I have toys I built. I paid for the toys by getting the occasional deal, but mostly by hard work by buying cheap cars and selling them for a lot. Example:
I bought this for $700

I put a new pump on it, a turbo system I bought on craigslist for $300, did the body work, painted it, put new carpet and a new seat cover (the type that requires hog ring pliers), put 3/4 running gear under it, rebuilt the transmission and sold it for $7500.
Total cost in parts and everything was less then $3000 - and I used it for 5 years.
or this one

I hear ya. I work my *** off and work and build all my own rigs. With that said, the people that sit here and complain that they can only buy one rig to do it all repeatedly buy a $50-60,000 rig. makes no since...

I own 4 vehicles, (including a diesel jetta) and don't have that much money in all 4. one of which is this...

Bought it for $14,000 Ford consumer buyback program. Some effort and research and hard work go a long way.

like mentioned above. people work hard and get it done, some just want to buy a new truck and want to complain. No reason to be a 1 car family with a $50,000 car...

I bought this for $700

or this one

Wow.... Where did I say rich? All I said is not everyone have a bunch of vehicles, not everyone is in the same position as you, money wise, or opportunity wise. Good for you that you work hard and have lots of toys. Some people work hard and still can't afford toys. You come off very pretentious. I have a 3rd vehicle, but I don't come across as a snob about it, making broad statements like "who doesn't have a bunch of vehicles". Maybe check out this thread http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/148489-Overlanders-are-obnoxious

Last edited:

GR8ADV

Explorer
Now, if they could just figure out how to make round wheel well to fit a round tire.

Not that it really matters to me. In fact I never noticed this before. Now I can't stop looking at every vehicle on the road to see the shape of their wheel wells. Damn you...

superbuickguy

Explorer
Wow.... Where did I say rich? All I said is not everyone have a bunch of vehicles, not everyone is in the same position as you, money wise, or opportunity wise. Good for you that you work hard and have lots of toys. Some people work hard and still can't afford toys. You come off very pretentious. I have a 3rd vehicle, but I don't come across as a snob about it, making broad statements like "who doesn't have a bunch of vehicles". Maybe check out this thread http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/148489-Overlanders-are-obnoxious

poor you? you've no sense of humor only one of entitlement. That must really make life rough for you. It is cool, though, I find out I'm so many things - rich, snob, pretentious... and all of that, in a Corvette.... err Land Cruiser

I wanted an ICON rig... now I'm building one of those too, only bigger.

I suppose, though I could talk about my wife's Jeep, or my Land Rover D2 TDI diesel, or maybe even the Fiat Spider I'm building with turbos and a V6.... yet I'm sure you don't want to hear about the twin-turbo, 455 powered 1950 Buick.... that would make me pretentious. I'll have to ask Ray if I need to bring the grey poupon to the next overland rally.... Ray? :)

superbuickguy

Explorer
I hear ya. I work my *** off and work and build all my own rigs. With that said, the people that sit here and complain that they can only buy one rig to do it all repeatedly buy a $50-60,000 rig. makes no since...

I own 4 vehicles, (including a diesel jetta) and don't have that much money in all 4. one of which is this...

Bought it for $14,000 Ford consumer buyback program. Some effort and research and hard work go a long way.

like mentioned above. people work hard and get it done, some just want to buy a new truck and want to complain. No reason to be a 1 car family with a $50,000 car...

I so love building them - what I'd like is the twins motor to come out as a stand-alone so I could put it into my H3 Alpha.... since I drive old vehicles I have to plan in advance about the next car - but 2 or 3 out. I'm driving the project I built 3 years ago, the FJ40 will be done next year (hopefully for the Rally), then the D2 will be the driver after that.... once I'm driving that, I'll either diesel the H3 or trade for one of these twins.... I've someone who is really interested in the Fiat, finished - should that happen I can buy the Colorado for cash and keep my H3 (yeah, most hate them, I love it).

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Noticed dealers are starting to post Diesel Canyon sales videos on youtube. We got one come get it! I bet they want over MSRP too. Lol

Noticed dealers are starting to post Diesel Canyon sales videos on youtube. We got one come get it! I bet they want over MSRP too. Lol

My dealer committed to MSRP early on when I ordered. Since there have been numerous delays he actually got me a supplier code so I will be getting supplier pricing (about invoice from what I'm told) when the time comes. Not all of them are out to rip you off ;)

TwinStick

Explorer
Does anyone else think that 28-31 mpg from a 2.8 turbo Duramax is dismal ? The 1500 Dodge Crew Cab Eco Diesel i drove got 28.9 mpg. That is one heavy truck compared to a Colorado. Engine is about the same size. I figured the GM would get close to 40 mpg, empty @ 55 mph.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk