2017 Chevrolet Express Camper Van

wagoneer84

Your van is looking good I love the swivel seats and the rack. What type of wood for the rack did you use and how has it lasted ?

Your van is looking good I love the swivel seats and the rack. What type of wood for the rack did you use and how has it lasted ?
Thanks. I used cedar for the rack. So far it has held up great. My van is too tall for my garage so it does sit out in the elements 24/7. The only downside was for the first couple months whenever it rained the water coming off the cedar slats was redish and almost looked like rust on the roof of the van. It cleaned off easily though.

I'm completely redoing my galley area once again. More pics and updates coming soon.

Finally got my wheels painted. Hard to tell from the pic but they are a really dark mocha color. They look black unless in direct sunlight. Just something a little different.

Attachments

• IMG_3899.jpg
    IMG_3899.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_3900.jpg
    IMG_3900.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_3903.jpg
    IMG_3903.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Fresh interior pics. New Blue Sea switch panel. New sink and location. The old removable sink box was a little overkill for brushing teeth and other light duty task. It also really crammed the fridge too close to the drivers seat when swiveled around backwards. All back together and ready for the next adventure.

Attachments

• IMG_3915.jpg
    IMG_3915.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_3911.jpg
    IMG_3911.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_3909.jpg
    IMG_3909.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

Texas Aggie

Observer
Fresh interior pics. New Blue Sea switch panel. New sink and location. The old removable sink box was a little overkill for brushing teeth and other light duty task. It also really crammed the fridge too close to the drivers seat when swiveled around backwards. All back together and ready for the next adventure.
Nice looking setup. I know you answered this previously in this thread, but wanted to follow up to see if the offset swivel on the driver's seat ever bothered you while driving. I recently installed a passenger swivel, and have been thinking about adding one to the driver's side. I'm sure it's an individual opinion, but just wanted to see if you still felt the inboard offset wasn't an issue.

Nice looking setup. I know you answered this previously in this thread, but wanted to follow up to see if the offset swivel on the driver's seat ever bothered you while driving. I recently installed a passenger swivel, and have been thinking about adding one to the driver's side. I'm sure it's an individual opinion, but just wanted to see if you still felt the inboard offset wasn't an issue.

The first couple times driving it after I put the swivel in felt a little awkward. But now after having it in for over a year I don't even think about it or notice the difference. The only other thing to consider is when swiveled around, you don't have much room to recline it back due to the steering wheel being in the way. But overall I really like having it and wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

Texas Aggie

Observer
The first couple times driving it after I put the swivel in felt a little awkward. But now after having it in for over a year I don't even think about it or notice the difference. The only other thing to consider is when swiveled around, you don't have much room to recline it back due to the steering wheel being in the way. But overall I really like having it and wouldn't hesitate to do it again.
Thanks for the reply, and for the comment regarding the steering wheel restricting the reclining ability. My setup is similar to yours, with a sink/counter behind the driver's seat. I can easily shift the whole thing back towards the bed (it's bolted to the wall), so I think that will give me enough room to swivel the driver's seat. If not, I can shorten the countertop. I mainly just want to have another comfortable place to sit in the van, so the reclining ability isn't too important. I might also try to add a drop-leaf table at the end of the counter to provide a work/eating surface when the driver's seat is turned around.

Attachments

• IMG_20200705_143912.jpg
    IMG_20200705_143912.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 29
Love my extra heavy duty rock solid motorcycle hauler with the added generator tray, but it is quite cumbersome to install and remove. Many times I want to take only my generator for mountain bike trips and not my dual sport. Since I've lowered my bed frame I can no longer store the genny under the bed. I decided to build a generator only tray.

Started with a couple Harbor Freight hitch extenders as a base. Some scrap 2x2 tubing, and a little angle and expanded metal from Lowe's. I still need to clean up the welds with the grinder and paint it. I will run a ratchet strap through it and a cable lock. Then I have a soft cover that goes over it. Should work very well and keep the generator safe and secure while traveling and out of the dirt while I'm parked and running it.

Attachments

• IMG_4093.jpg
    IMG_4093.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4096.jpg
    IMG_4096.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4113.jpg
    IMG_4113.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4112.jpg
    IMG_4112.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4110.jpg
    IMG_4110.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4109.jpg
    IMG_4109.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4114.jpg
    IMG_4114.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4115.jpg
    IMG_4115.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Finding myself more and more camping away from RV parks but not necessarily wanting to run the generator and roof AC all night either. I gave thought to removing the AC for a maxxair fan but sometimes having AC makes things so much more comfortable. I am very limited on height with my roof rack to cut another 14x14 hole forward of existing hole and have pop up clearance for a vent fan. I did some measuring and found out I could install a 6" round pop of vent fan under my rack. Not quite as much airflow as a bigger one but definitely an improvement to suck warm air out. I removed an existing dome lamp for a clear view of what I was hole sawing through.

Attachments

• IMG_4312.jpg
    IMG_4312.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4310.jpg
    IMG_4310.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4306.jpg
    IMG_4306.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4315.jpg
    IMG_4315.jpg