2017 Chevy Colorado ZR2

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Autos have gotten much more reliable, so I wouldn't be too concerned about that, unless there's a major design flaw. But if it does go, yeah, it will not be cheap. I've got those paddle shifters on the truck and in previous cars. Nice gimmick that gets played out real quick. I messed with it the first week I got my truck, then haven't touched it since. But it could be just the thing to wean you off of sticks, though. Like nicotine gum.
Wean, as though it's a requirement to do so? :)

Those paddles to me would be super annoying. If I'm buying an automatic transmission it's because I don't want to deal with shifting anymore, so pull the lever to drive and go. I don't want to interact with it anymore, fire and forget. It's an annoyance of mine generally. Why put a console and shift in the first place? It's to remind the driver that some people are still cool and shift their own gears. I think putting the shifter on the column like they were in the 70s and 80s makes more sense. Free up all that space in the middle of the truck for a bigger Tuffy box and a place to put your coffee mug.

Paddle shifters, in my mind, are like putting a cueing lever on a CD player or a choke lever on an EFI engine. There's no point to it.

Clutch

<---Pass
On what planet is a manual transmission cheap to fix?

NEVER had a manual trans fail on me...only a clutch. clutches are cheap. New flywheel and clutch for mine is $500 give or take. Can pickup a rebuilt trans for $1000.

Autos on the other hand, when they go...yeo-ouch! What'a new auto trans on a Tacoma cost to replace $4-5,000? Buddy of mine spent $7000 on a new tranny for his Sprinter. No thanks....

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Can pickup a rebuilt trans for $1000.

Again, on what planet?

I'm not debating the merits of a manual transmission - there are many. But internal repairs and rebuild costs on both modern auto and modern manuals are both very expensive. These are not 1980s 4 speed iron boxes that can be rebuilt by any farmer in his barn with $35 in parts.

DaveInDenver

Again, on what planet?
Marlin gets $1,049 for a rebuilt W56 (most 22R-E) or $1,100 for a rebuilt W59 (Tacoma 3RZ). He gets $1,200 for a R151F, which is the 5 speed behind the 3.0L and 3.4L V6 engines. He's about the best there is for rebuilding Toyota manual transmissions and he's doing a grade-A job. He probably does a dozen a week.

The farm truck transmissions, I rebuilt an H42. It wasn't that hard. The kit for those is about $300 and it doesn't take any super special tools. A couple of pullers and a clean workbench.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Autos have gotten much more reliable, so I wouldn't be too concerned about that, unless there's a major design flaw. But if it does go, yeah, it will not be cheap. I've got those paddle shifters on the truck and in previous cars. Nice gimmick that gets played out real quick. I messed with it the first week I got my truck, then haven't touched it since. But it could be just the thing to wean you off of sticks, though. Like nicotine gum.

Drove my buddy's VW Sportwagon for a day with the joystick thingy...it was neat, you are correct the novelty did wear off. Cool gee-gaw, but I wouldn't own one...don't think if they even put those med patches on the finger pads of the paddles that it would wean me off of mannys. :ylsmoke:

The ZR2 is pretty cool...I'll never own one. Bike will still beat it offroad. Guessing the deezul will be around $50K...could buy a couple bikes and SXS for that...and still have more fun off-road.

Where's the compact truck that gets 30+ mpg, manny trans, and a 2000lbs payload? I don't care how they get there...gas, diesel, hybrid....pixie dust. :D

That is the other thing I don't understand...toss in a nice torquey diesel...then castrate the towing and payload.

That Tacoma was the 4-Slug...felt like more than enough power for me. It is close to the needs....manny, bet you squeak out 25 hwy, 1600 lbs payload....and relatively cheap at $25K.

Clutch

<---Pass
Again, on what planet?

I'm not debating the merits of a manual transmission - there are many. But internal repairs and rebuild costs on both modern auto and modern manuals are both very expensive. These are not 1980s 4 speed iron boxes that can be rebuilt by any farmer in his barn with $35 in parts.

Marlin get $1,049 for a rebuilt W56 (most 22R-E) or $1,100 for a rebuilt W59 (Tacoma 3RZ). He gets $1,200 for a R151F, which is the 5 speed behind the 3.0L and 3.4L V6 engines.

Yep...Dave the Toyota savant is on it.

Waaay cheaper than an automatic repair. Last a hell of a lot longer too. Got 250K out of my last clutch...trans still feels fine at 335K.

p nut

butter
Wean, as though it's a requirement to do so? :) ....

If you've tallied up Clutch's list of requirements for a new truck......something's gotta give! :D
_
Luckily, the "sportshift" on my truck is just a tiny toggle switch on the transmission shifter. Doesn't get in the way.
_
I despise paddle shifters myself, but I did get a lap in on a friend's 612 Scaglietti once. That was fun.

p nut

butter
Where's the compact truck that gets 30+ mpg, manny trans, and a 2000lbs payload? I don't care how they get there...gas, diesel, hybrid....pixie dust. :D

That is the other thing I don't understand...toss in a nice torquey diesel...then castrate the towing and payload.

That Tacoma was the 4-Slug...felt like more than enough power for me. It is close to the needs....manny, bet you squeak out 25 hwy, 1600 lbs payload....and relatively cheap at $25K.

I'm guessing hybrid is maybe the best way to get 30+ mpg. But I don't know if I would trust one off the grid. Plus, I haven't seen a manual trans in one, I don't think.
_
You probably could get 25mpg in the Taco. Crazy thing is, you could also get better than that in a full-size V6 truck with better payload, as we've discussed ad nauseam. Just need to drop that clutch. :D

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Marlin gets $1,049 for a rebuilt W56 (most 22R-E) or $1,100 for a rebuilt W59 (Tacoma 3RZ). He gets $1,200 for a R151F, which is the 5 speed behind the 3.0L and 3.4L V6 engines. He's about the best there is for rebuilding Toyota manual transmissions and he's doing a grade-A job. He probably does a dozen a week.

The farm truck transmissions, I rebuilt an H42. It wasn't that hard. The kit for those is about $300 and it doesn't take any super special tools. A couple of pullers and a clean workbench.

You're still talking about 25 year old gearboxes. Price out something new - 6 speed.

I can get a rebuilt TH350 from any number of reputable sources for under $700, which has about as much correlation to a new truck with an automatic as your example does.

DaveInDenver

I'm guessing hybrid is maybe the best way to get 30+ mpg. But I don't know if I would trust one off the grid. Plus, I haven't seen a manual trans in one, I don't think.
_
You probably could get 25mpg in the Taco. Crazy thing is, you could also get better than that in a full-size V6 truck with better payload, as we've discussed ad nauseam. Just need to drop that clutch. :D
Dude, Aussie Hilux specs:
2.8L turbo diesel
7.3L/100km = 33 MPG

Even their 1GR-FE gets better mileage than ours, 11.5 L/100km = 20.5 MPG.

The payload, stick shift availability, all of that is well hashed. The choice is clear, either Toyota needs to sell Clutch and me a XtraCab D-4D Hilux or we need to move down under.

p nut

butter
Dude, Aussie Hilux specs:
2.8L turbo diesel
7.3L/100km = 33 MPG

Even their 1GR-FE gets better mileage than ours, 11.5 L/100km = 20.5 MPG.

The payload, stick shift availability, all of that is well hashed. The choice is clear, either Toyota needs to sell Clutch and me a XtraCab D-4D Hilux or we need to move down under.

Isn't the reason for better mileage due to emission standards? Oz people do get all the cool toys, though. I've heard some gripes about not getting the FJC. They can have those.

DaveInDenver

You're still talking about 25 year old gearboxes. Price out something new - 6 speed.

I can get a rebuilt TH350 from any number of reputable sources for under $700, which has about as much correlation to a new truck with an automatic as your example does.
Toyota still uses the W59 in the 4 cylinder Tacoma. Anyway Clutch said /he/ could get a rebuilt transmission for $1K and that's true, he has a R150F in his truck. Toyota stopped using the R150F in 2004, not exactly ancient.

Marlin hasn't started rebuilding RA60F yet, they haven't started wearing out in enough numbers to justify it. Or at least I assume so. ;-)

I admit I have no idea what it'll cost to have it rebuilt, but it's designed and built by the same Aisin-Seiki as built the L-series, W-series, G-series and R-series sticks (not to mention AX series in Jeeps and A-series autos in Toyotas). So I don't expect it would be radically different in function or components. I mean how much more complex could they make it? They moved reverse to the left and up and added a 6th gear. They sell 5% of Tacomas with stick shifts, I seriously doubt they are doing rocket surgery in expending resources re-engineering them.

Edit to add: You cite a TH350 as a comparable, which is an almost 50 year old auto. What about a 4L70E? Those are quite a bit more I'd expect, too. Or an Allison behind a Duramax, that's probably a bend-over situation, too. What would a 4L60 or 700R4 cost rebuilt? That's a better comparison to a RA60F like in my Tacoma.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Isn't the reason for better mileage due to emission standards? Oz people do get all the cool toys, though. I've heard some gripes about not getting the FJC. They can have those.
I don't know why, but I doubt the emissions standards are that radically different. I'd think Toyota would try to make emissions to suit as many places as possible so that effect is probably marginal, a little different fuel mapping, etc. My guess is primarily that the Hilux is a little smaller and probably lighter due to safety requirements and level of outfit. Part of the reason we don't get the Hilux and 70-series is they can't meet rules for crash testing. They are extremely strong in a functional way but the sheet metal is more like our 79-95 trucks, tin boxes without as much regard to side impact beams, air bags, energy absorbing bumpers. That stuff adds weight. Then a Hilux won't have 50 bluetoothpowereverythingDVDguidance systems either.

Clutch

<---Pass

Honda actually put a manual in that tiny 2 Door Hybrid they have, looks like a updated CRX...can't remember the name. They did however discontinue it this year tho'.
_

Yeah we beat that horse to death. ;) F150 naturally aspirated V6 is a real close 2nd, really like that truck in the Super Cab 6.5' bed configuration. Don't want to repair that auto trans out of warranty, tho'.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven