2017 Chevy Colorado ZR2

hobbsrt

I love my z71 duramax and almost everything about it. The towing, the mileage, the size are great. I was going to put a lift on it and looked for a front locker but couldn't find one so I decided to just get the zr2. I am paying about $1000 more than I paid for my z71 so I couldn't help myself. I am picking up a new zr2 duramax tomorrow and cant wait. Ill post some pics after I get it. I am hoping my console vault, and bull bar mount up. I left the aftermarket skid plates on the Z71 because I am not sure that they will bolt up to the zr2 and I cant find the stock ones to put back on the z71 for the dealer. I also took off my bed cover and will re-install on the zr2.

18 diesel has been going strong. I've taken it down some 4x4 trails with minimal issue. Definately need some bigger tires, stock 31s. There is a lift coming out by bds for a 5" lift. Only one I've seen installed so far and it seems to be very capable with the 35s and lockers.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

David Trest

I'm really on the fence between the Colorado ZR2 and getting a 2500 Z71 and making further mods to it. That really low GVM makes me leery.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
I bought a 2018 2 weeks ago. white ZR2 Duramax. So far a really good truck. It did really well on the beaches in OBX. Pulled our trailer really well and cruisered down the road comfortably. Not alot to do to it for what we need. Tonneau or topper, dual battery system, winch, comms and a few organization items. It is going to be a really great, boring overland truck in comparison to my gen 1 taco and my 80 series which have required a ton of upgrades and work to get them up to snuff. Boring because it is almost done out of the gate lol. Some people will go buck wild on these. However I can say that I will not. For my travel I can not forsee anyplace I would want to go or go back to, that I will not be able to reach in this truck as it sits now. Having had big tires flexy suspension and all that overland bling on my previous trucks. This truck is like a Rubicon in the sense that you can just add recovery and camping mods and be set. Something to be said for that.

Attachments

• 1984.jpeg
    1984.jpeg
    99.9 KB · Views: 72
  • 2082.jpeg
    2082.jpeg
    897 KB · Views: 74
  • 2047.jpeg
    2047.jpeg
    969.7 KB · Views: 62

Kingsize24

Something to be said about that for sure! The truck looks great, and I honestly can't wait to see how she performs for you over the next few months to a year. The wife has been eyeballing one lately at the local dealer. Maybe I'll pick her one up next summer.

You thinking a simple winch in the stock bumper, or are you going to do a winch in an aftermarket bumper and give yourself some frontal protection while you are there?

I bought a 2018 2 weeks ago. white ZR2 Duramax. So far a really good truck. It did really well on the beaches in OBX. Pulled our trailer really well and cruisered down the road comfortably. Not alot to do to it for what we need. Tonneau or topper, dual battery system, winch, comms and a few organization items. It is going to be a really great, boring overland truck in comparison to my gen 1 taco and my 80 series which have required a ton of upgrades and work to get them up to snuff. Boring because it is almost done out of the gate lol. Some people will go buck wild on these. However I can say that I will not. For my travel I can not forsee anyplace I would want to go or go back to, that I will not be able to reach in this truck as it sits now. Having had big tires flexy suspension and all that overland bling on my previous trucks. This truck is like a Rubicon in the sense that you can just add recovery and camping mods and be set. Something to be said for that.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Although I normally argue full bull, The past 5 years or so I find myself advocating for wieght savings. Unless a proper aluminum unit comes out I will propably go insert. The midwest unit looks like a good option. ARb units do not fit the zr2. We will see what aev comes out with. They will be the absolute best option once available since they take in reguard all the factory airbag sensors crush zones etc. Maybe ARB is working on a fitment.

Explorerinil

Observer
Very good review, I think your right, add a whinch, topper and some storage and your done. I saw one today, good looking truck.

Tex68w

Beach Bum

You say that now, but I'd be willing to bet that you will want to go to larger tires and possibly better ground clearance (due to those awfully low hanging rear shocks) in the future. But I agree that they are fantastic out of the box and nearly 90% of the way there without a single mod.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner