2018 Ram Power Wagon

GreggNY

Looks good and clean. Please do a review on the roofnest, I’ve been looking around for awhile and can’t decide if I want a RTT or not or which one is best for me.

I’ll be getting out at the end of this week/weekend to test it out. Let me know if there are any specifics you guys want info on or pics of

Explorerinil

Observer
I’ll be getting out at the end of this week/weekend to test it out. Let me know if there are any specifics you guys want info on or pics of
Pics of the inside with things You normally have in the tent. I want to see how much room it has with normal gear in it. Also interested in how the ladder work and fits.

michalny

A couple pics holding the supplied bolts next to the replacements. You can see that the factory ones would just be even with the bottom of the nut when tightened up. The mounting bar underneath flexed/bent a bit when tightened, but before this, the bolt probably wouldn't even reach the bottom of the nut.

View attachment 611647

View attachment 611646

And a couple with the tent. It sits a little higher than I'd like but overall, not too bad. I also originally thought the platform was too wide, but it leaves the outer channel open with just enough room to mount up awning brackets if I decide to go that route. I bought the platform way before the tent and at the time, I didn't even know what tent I would go with. So overall, it worked out pretty well.

View attachment 611648

View attachment 611649
Gregg, the install looks great. Did the falcon mounting rails fit nicely between the slats? What are the specs on the longer bolt, where did you purchase those. Thanks again
M

GreggNY

Gregg, the install looks great. Did the falcon mounting rails fit nicely between the slats? What are the specs on the longer bolt, where did you purchase those. Thanks again
M

Yes, everything fit fine. The only suitable bolts I found that fit the holes of the mounting plates were I believe 5/16" by 3". The ones supplied are metric but I couldn't find any stainless hardware in mm. These fit no problem and eventually found at an Ace hardware.

GreggNY

09.19.20 - 09.20.20

Got away for a quick overnighter into the Green Mountains of Vermont to test out the Roofnest. The tent surprised me in good and bad ways...

The good-
-Setup/takedown was really quick and easy
-No bigger footprint than the truck itself. A lot of the dispersed camp sites are either tight or have trees scattered. It would have been a good amount tougher to find a spot where a flip out style tent would've worked as well
-The mattress was more comfortable than I expected even when sleeping on my side
-Gas mileage barely affected by the tent up top

The not so good-
-Condensation inside was pretty bad on the walls with me and my girlfriend inside. We had both side windows vented a couple inches and still had beads of moisture all over the walls. I guess this is normal with 2 adults inside and slightly below freezing temps outside? This is my first RTT so any thoughts/solutions would be helpful
-I need to either pre heat the tent with my buddy heater, or find a heating solution to kick on every few hours or so
-With 2 sleeping bags and a comforter, the foot area of the tent felt very tight for space. For reference, I'm 6'2 and my girlfriend is 5'7. I found that if I didn't have my head as far to the open end of the tent as possible, my feet were feeling squished down there. Width of the tent was decent, but I definitely would not call it spacious for 2 adults

On to the pics...

UglyViking

Are your feet actually touching or just feels close? I'm 6'1" and was looking at this same setup, hate when your feet have no room.

GreggNY

Are your feet actually touching or just feels close? I'm 6'1" and was looking at this same setup, hate when your feet have no room.

If I stay as far to the open end of the tent as I can, there is room and my feet don’t touch. But if I slid down a bit, I could point my toes and ‘feel’ the roof some of the time. This is also with a really heavy sleeping bag and a comforter on top though. It ended up being a little too warm actually so there would probably be more room without all the heavy layers which were easily a couple inches thick down there

GreggNY

The Teton Mammoth is a fairly inexpensive double and it is insanely warm

We actually were using 2 of the Teton Celsius bags zipped together to make a double and they were definitely warm. Probably just needed a light blanket or nothing at all over it instead of the comforter.

We’re going to head out again this weekend and overnight lows are supposed to be almost 20 degrees warmer. So I’ll try a different configuration and see how it is

Pnwfullsize

We actually were using 2 of the Teton Celsius bags zipped together to make a double and they were definitely warm. Probably just needed a light blanket or nothing at all over it instead of the comforter.

We’re going to head out again this weekend and overnight lows are supposed to be almost 20 degrees warmer. So I’ll try a different configuration and see how it is

Oh nice! When we were tent/RTT camping we typically had our sleeping bags or double bag, a wool blanket to go over top of us if needed, and a spare rumpl for each of us. The nice part with the rumpl is you can use it as a pillow or stuff it up by your face to help keep your head warm lol.

GreggNY

09.26.20-09.27.20

I got out for another quick overnighter with the Falcon. This time was in the Adirondacks in Upstate New York, and was about 20 degrees warmer for the overnight lows compared to the last weekend up in Vermont- mid 50s compared to just under 30 degrees. The tent was MUCH more comfortable with just the sleeping bags, no comforter, and all the windows completely open throughout the night (just the screens closed). I tried 2 different camp areas from iOverlander that had multiple lakeside spots with no luck in finding an unoccupied one, so had to settle for a so-so spot in the woods, but the fall foliage was in full effect so that was a nice bonus.

DSC07339.jpg

DSC07345 1.jpg

DSC07369.jpg

GreggNY

Here are a couple more shots to show off the fall colors. I've lived in NY my whole life and don't remember seeing colors as vivid as this in the area. As a downside, there were a ton of other people in the area trying to get a glimpse too. Can't really blame them though...

DSC07397.jpg

DSC07411.jpg

UglyViking

Looks like you were able to snag a longer ladder? From the sound of it you're getting used to the new RTT, so maybe it's just getting acclimated to it.

Great photos, the one with the boat on the lake has a great vibe to it, if only the guy would sit down haha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad