2019 Defender

nwoods

Expedition Leader
this surfaced again today in the news. Land Rover apparently confirms that the new Defender will arrive in 2018 as an 2019 model year:
http://www.autonews.com/article/20151206/OEM04/312079985/storied-defender-due-for-new-era-rewrite

The design of the new Defenders is under wraps. But the production models will look nothing like concepts Land Rover has shown in recent years.

"When this vehicle comes out, people will know it's a Defender, it's a modern Defender," McGovern said. "But it will bear no resemblance to those Defender concepts."

95RRC

Adventurer
While I was at the Eastnoor Driving Experience in November last year we saw the "chassis" of the new Defender being put to its paces on the premises by the LR Engineers. It had a 2015 Big Daddy body on it, but the drivetrain, suspension etc was the new Defender. So, while it will have the extended wheelbase you come to expect...unfortunately solid axles are no more. That is all I could deduce, plus of course one had airbag suspension, the other was coiled. No sense putting up pictures as they wouldnt let me get close enough to "get under" so the pics just look like a standard big daddy Range Rover.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
While I was at the Eastnoor Driving Experience in November last year we saw the "chassis" of the new Defender being put to its paces on the premises by the LR Engineers. It had a 2015 Big Daddy body on it, but the drivetrain, suspension etc was the new Defender. So, while it will have the extended wheelbase you come to expect...unfortunately solid axles are no more. That is all I could deduce, plus of course one had airbag suspension, the other was coiled. No sense putting up pictures as they wouldnt let me get close enough to "get under" so the pics just look like a standard big daddy Range Rover.

Nice bit of intel there. Thanks for that :ylsmoke:

wildorange

Observer
Unless I stand corrected JLR are looking at Lithuania as a next generation Defender production base....

It's definitely going to be in Eastern Europe but really disappointed with the time window gap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wildorange

Observer
I think you mean Slovenia as a next base for JLR production.Cheers

Thanks for clarification, I'm sure many will be monitoring JLR's progress with that with anticipation, or maybe frustration....depending if your a fan/enthusiast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dsm02c

Adventurer
Based on the above observation of losing the solid axles I'm far less interested in a "new defender" if that is indeed the case. I think Land Rover could steal some of the Jeep thunder if they made a comparable alternative with better interior but still provide the ability to seriously wheel, or at least be a tuff looking mall crawler... Isn't the Wrangler the only successful Jeep product currently?

zelatore

Explorer
Based on the above observation of losing the solid axles I'm far less interested in a "new defender" if that is indeed the case. I think Land Rover could steal some of the Jeep thunder if they made a comparable alternative with better interior but still provide the ability to seriously wheel, or at least be a tuff looking mall crawler... Isn't the Wrangler the only successful Jeep product currently?

I've argued until I'm blue in the face on what I think LR should do with the Defender to steel some Wrangler market but I have very little confidence they'll go that route and instead will go upmarket and even worse, it's looking more and more like independent air suspension. As for the success of the Jeep product line over-all I'd have to do some research but I think they're doing OK with some of the other stuff as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach