2019 Ford Ranger Taking Orders

nickw

Adventurer
Here's the one in front of the local dealer: View attachment 495197
View attachment 495199
It was locked so no inside shots. It looks damn good in person but didnt trigger any buyers remorse walking back to my F150, which surprised me a little.

I looked hard at the 150's but just couldn't justify the size for my living arrangement and going into the city as often as I do to park. If you have the space and don't need a compact rig there is no reason not to go with a 150. With that said, I like the visual proportions a bit more with the Ranger, reminds me of my 2001 Tacoma. It will look even better with a 1-2" OME lift, 32's and a hidden winch....

nickw

Adventurer
So am I. That's one of the things that keeps me out of a Tacoma.

I'm 6-4, it kept me out of a Tacoma too! I couldn't stand the seating arrangement, felt really boxed in, low seat (or high floor) and poor visibility out of the front, bad feng shui for me personally. I find this MUCH better all around, it was actually my #1 criteria going to look at it. I was going to purchase if I like the seating arrangement and visibility, I guess the results speak for themselves. Now it's no FJ40 on RR Classic, where you sit up over the hood, but relative to most modern cars, I personally find it really good.

I can sit behind myself on drivers side with seat adjusted how I like it as well which is nice....can't slouch, but can get in and out no problem.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I'm 6-4, it kept me out of a Tacoma too! I couldn't stand the seating arrangement, felt really boxed in, low seat (or high floor) and poor visibility out of the front, bad feng shui for me personally. I find this MUCH better all around, it was actually my #1 criteria going to look at it. I was going to purchase if I like the seating arrangement and visibility, I guess the results speak for themselves. Now it's no FJ40 on RR Classic, where you sit up over the hood, but relative to most modern cars, I personally find it really good.

I can sit behind myself on drivers side with seat adjusted how I like it as well which is nice....can't slouch, but can get in and out no problem.
So do you know if the drivers seat is height adjustable without having to get the lariat trim?

nickw

Adventurer
The review thus far, I'll keep it short since there are several professional ones out there that do a better job than I could do. I've had several pickups, a FJ40 for several years and a couple of newer 2016+ Audi wagons. So some comments in no particular order, train of thought, so apologies up front.

I personally love the look of it, great stance from the factory. Reminds me of all the Rangers I saw in Melbourne last year...that were all tricked out with snorkels, ARB's, etc. I'm guessing the aftermarket, particularly the OZ companies like OME and ARB will be all over this thing quickly since it's essentially the same ROTW truck. I'll be looking at a slight OME lift 1-2" and some 255/80R17 tires once the lifts are available, which I can't imagine is long.

Same transmission as the F150. Still trying to figure out what rear axle it is - it's not the same one as the ROTW truck, that one has a drop out 3rd member, this is a traditional axle. Fit and finish seems good. Cloth seats are basic, nothing fancy. Seated heats with cloth is nice, glad it came with them. Same basic interior layout as a F150, same electro gadgets. Annoying stop/start feature (like the F150). Tailgate is super light which is kinda cool. Full size spare.

As far as ride it rides like, well, a truck! Not harsh by any means, but stiff / controlled. Engine is fairly peppy, the poor little thing is a 2.3L. Sounds kinda wimpy, but gets the job done. Rated to tow 7500 lbs which is sweet. You can lock it in 2H, 4H and 4L, which I spent 3 hrs soldering wires to be able to do in my old Tacoma. Steering is tight.

In summary - I watched all the reviews online, I think they are all spot on! Nobody talked about driving position and visibility, my biggest concerns, but it's great IMO @ 6-4, but I know everybody is a bit different.

*Edit - I really like the front steel bumper, looks to have plenty of room for a hidden winch and, as much as I never thought I'd have to say it, mech e-brake is awesome....I was worried they'd resort to a button, no bueno...

Last edited:

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader

I’m 6’4 and have no issue in fitting in a Tacoma. To each their own I guess.

mulze22

Could you sit behind yourself in the truck for several hours? Say 2-3?

nickw

Adventurer
Could you sit behind yourself in the truck for several hours? Say 2-3?
Good question. It's no Audi! Hour jaunts here or there seem doable. I'd say the 2-3 hour mark would be iffy, but like I said I'm 6-4...and I have long legs. It's 600x better than my 2001 Access cab tacoma....but that's not saying much.

I also don't have much to compare with, I'd say it's worth looking and considering for sure....

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I "fit" fine, just didn't like how high the floor was relative to the seat. It's a common problem from what I understand. First world problem I know....
I get that. I prefer my seating position almost as if I was sitting in an office or kitchen chair. Not a sub compact car.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner