2019 Ford Ranger Taking Orders

vartz04

Adventurer
Is Drive a canyon with the V6 it’s a crew cab. I test drove the ranger yesterday. My opinion between the two is:

Seats/comfort - ranger hands down. The colorado/canyon seats kind of suck. I didn’t notice that on the 15 min test drive in my truck but I fit in the ranger better (I’m 6’3 and 205lbs )

Power - canyon takes this one easily. 300+hp v6 vs a little turbo 4.

Ergonomics/interior - canyon again. Layout is better buttons are nicer. I like the screen in the canyon better.

Back seat - comfort and leg room to me is a wash. Storage under the rear seat of the canyon is bigger and easier to access with the split bench

Ride/handling - canyon again. Smoother and better handling through the corners

Looks - the ranger Fx4 wins this for me. Looks bigger than the canyon and more “off-road”

I’ve put 44k miles on the canyon since Nov 2017. It’s been great and reliable. Only time will tell with the ranger. In my opinion Ford had a chance to be the best midsized all around and they missed it. The canyon is the best with the Tacoma being the best for off-road/expedition use in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Fixed it for ya :) The LC Trucks are not like that....

I had a 2001 Tacoma and didn't remember it being like that, that was 8 yrs ago though...
The 1st gen Tacoma is basically the same as the 79-95 trucks seating position. The 2nd gen is a little taller but not much (there's the impression of a sill at least). I prefer this driving position personally but I'm out of step in most things.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
What’s wrong with it?
Nothing if you are driving a corvette... read or watch any review and they all have a common theme its the horrible seating position. Toyota dominates mid size sales so they don't want to change anything, but most would prefer they raise the seat in relation to the floorboard, but the cab then wouldnt give you enough head room. I ordered a 2016 trd double cab, put 500 down on it. Waited about 30 days, truck hadn't shown yet and it gave me time to consider that I would not like the driving position.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Nothing if you are driving a corvette... read or watch any review and they all have a common theme its the horrible seating position. Toyota dominates mid size sales so they don't want to change anything, but most would prefer they raise the seat in relation to the floorboard, but the cab then wouldnt give you enough head room. I ordered a 2016 trd double cab, put 500 down on it. Waited about 30 days, truck hadn't shown yet and it gave me time to consider that I would not like the driving position.

Well it doesn’t seem to be an issue as lots of them sell. It’s personal preference

DaveInDenver

I think it's the other way, lowering the floor would reduce clearance under the rockers. If they raised the seating position they look top heavy. As it is the cabs and bed sides are already growing taller, almost comically IMO on the Colorado and even the Ranger. Then look at the fender and rocker in relation to the center of the wheels. Most trucks have their hem line below the center of the front hubs. They look like 2WD trucks almost. With just 2" of lift my fender corner is even with the top of the rim.

nickw

Adventurer
Is Drive a canyon with the V6 it’s a crew cab. I test drove the ranger yesterday. My opinion between the two is:

Seats/comfort - ranger hands down. The colorado/canyon seats kind of suck. I didn’t notice that on the 15 min test drive in my truck but I fit in the ranger better (I’m 6’3 and 205lbs )

Power - canyon takes this one easily. 300+hp v6 vs a little turbo 4.

Ergonomics/interior - canyon again. Layout is better buttons are nicer. I like the screen in the canyon better.

Back seat - comfort and leg room to me is a wash. Storage under the rear seat of the canyon is bigger and easier to access with the split bench

Ride/handling - canyon again. Smoother and better handling through the corners

Looks - the ranger Fx4 wins this for me. Looks bigger than the canyon and more “off-road”

I’ve put 44k miles on the canyon since Nov 2017. It’s been great and reliable. Only time will tell with the ranger. In my opinion Ford had a chance to be the best midsized all around and they missed it. The canyon is the best with the Tacoma being the best for off-road/expedition use in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful though, you say "little turbo 4", it has more torque than the V6 canyon by a respectable margin at the expense of HP....trade-off for sure. It's a modified version of the 2.3L in their 350hp sports car with the addition of forged crank / rods and some other goodies.

Ranger has a higher Towing and Payload capacity, from what I can see, gas vs gas.

I think they nailed it personally, looks good, rear locker, proven platform around the world, best towing / payload for a petrol rig....

Many of the OZ reviews rank the Ranger at or higher than the Hilux, so don't see why it wouldn't stand up to the Tacoma. They are awfully close if nothing else....

Glad you like your truck, which is really all that matter.

DaveInDenver

Tacoma doesn't compare with the Colorado or Ranger IMO. The Tacoma needs a serious upgrade
The point that it sells 2-to-1 over the Colorado and Ford hasn't even started selling the Ranger to know is one distinction that I think flies in the face of critics and journalists. Anyway, why does Toyota have to make their small(er) truck be just like a Colorado or F150? Isn't the point of of a competitive market to sell a competing product that offers a potential buyer a choice? Trucks aren't fungible like Kleenex or milk where one brand's offering pretty much does the same thing just in a different color box. I mean capitalism brought us a dozen different varieties of apples and there's getting to be less real differences in new trucks than the produce aisle. If a fella wants a lower floor, upright seating, etc. there's models from other companies that offer it but lots of buyers either don't want that or are indifferent.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
Be careful though, you say "little turbo 4", it has more torque than the V6 canyon by a respectable margin at the expense of HP....trade-off for sure. It's a modified version of the 2.3L in their 350hp sports car with the addition of forged crank / rods and some other goodies.

Ranger has a higher Towing and Payload capacity, from what I can see, gas vs gas.

I think they nailed it personally, looks good, rear locker, proven platform around the world, best towing / payload for a petrol rig....

Many of the OZ reviews rank the Ranger at or higher than the Hilux, so don't see why it wouldn't stand up to the Tacoma. They are awfully close if nothing else....

Glad you like your truck, which is really all that matter.
The Ranger beats the Colorado in a drag race, this I know for a fact. The Colorado gets the first 20-40 ft off the line, then the Ranger pulls by 2 or so car lengths.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
The review thus far, I'll keep it short since there are several professional ones out there that do a better job than I could do. I've had several pickups, a FJ40 for several years and a couple of newer 2016+ Audi wagons. So some comments in no particular order, train of thought, so apologies up front.

I personally love the look of it, great stance from the factory. Reminds me of all the Rangers I saw in Melbourne last year...that were all tricked out with snorkels, ARB's, etc. I'm guessing the aftermarket, particularly the OZ companies like OME and ARB will be all over this thing quickly since it's essentially the same ROTW truck. I'll be looking at a slight OME lift 1-2" and some 255/80R17 tires once the lifts are available, which I can't imagine is long.

Same transmission as the F150. Still trying to figure out what rear axle it is - it's not the same one as the ROTW truck, that one has a drop out 3rd member, this is a traditional axle. Fit and finish seems good. Cloth seats are basic, nothing fancy. Seated heats with cloth is nice, glad it came with them. Same basic interior layout as a F150, same electro gadgets. Annoying stop/start feature (like the F150). Tailgate is super light which is kinda cool. Full size spare.

As far as ride it rides like, well, a truck! Not harsh by any means, but stiff / controlled. Engine is fairly peppy, the poor little thing is a 2.3L. Sounds kinda wimpy, but gets the job done. Rated to tow 7500 lbs which is sweet. You can lock it in 2H, 4H and 4L, which I spent 3 hrs soldering wires to be able to do in my old Tacoma. Steering is tight.

In summary - I watched all the reviews online, I think they are all spot on! Nobody talked about driving position and visibility, my biggest concerns, but it's great IMO @ 6-4, but I know everybody is a bit different.

*Edit - I really like the front steel bumper, looks to have plenty of room for a hidden winch and, as much as I never thought I'd have to say it, mech e-brake is awesome....I was worried they'd resort to a button, no bueno...

Trans is out of the Mustang, the axle looks like a Dana 44, but its called a Dana M220

Last edited:

Wallygator

Adventurer
The point that it sells 2-to-1 over the Colorado and Ford hasn't even started selling the Ranger to know is one distinction that I think flies in the face of critics and journalists. Anyway, why does Toyota have to make their small(er) truck be just like a Colorado or F150? Isn't the point of of a competitive market to sell a competing product that offers a potential buyer a choice? Trucks aren't fungible like Kleenex or milk where one brand's offering pretty much does the same thing just in a different color box. I mean capitalism brought us a dozen different varieties of apples and there's getting to be less real differences in new trucks than the produce aisle. If a fella wants a lower floor, upright seating, etc. there's models from other companies that offer it but lots of buyers either don't want that or are indifferent.

Yes Toyotas rep runs deep. I have had many Toyotas(9) and many Tacomas (4)....currently drive Toyotas best...4Runner...I will never own this latest Tacoma, its horrible and needs redone, again, my opinion. The Colorado and Ranger are better.

DaveInDenver

Yes Toyotas rep runs deep. I have had many Toyotas(9) and many Tacomas (4)....currently drive Toyotas best...4Runner...I will never own this latest Tacoma, its horrible and needs redone, again, my opinion. The Colorado and Ranger are better.
I've not gone through anywhere near as many Toyotas as you but I agree only because they've become too much like the competitors. I'd buy a Ranger only because it seems more Toyota now than a Tacoma. Toyota North America seem to be tinkering without much direction or focus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner