2019 Ford Ranger Taking Orders

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
I just saw my first one in the wild - Dealer has a 4dr Black FX4 sitting out front. I'll have to run by after work and take a look at it.

This is a black FX4:
1280px-1962_Austin_FX4_London_taxi.jpg

Someone really needs to teach people to use a search engine when coming up with model names, especially as people are more (internationally) mobile than they once were...

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I'm 5'10 as well. When I had my s10 blazer and would drive the 2016? Tacoma at work it felt about the same, now coming from a full size Chevy the Tacoma feels like a shoe box that's hard to get into. You have to step up into it and then bend in half at the waist to squeeze through the door. Once in it I can put the seat all the way back and still reach the pedals, and I have short legs. I sat in that Tacoma for 12 hours a day for about a year, I didn't hate it but its a little cozy. I loved the power though, and it felt like it could squeeze it into any tight spot.

vartz04

Adventurer
I'm finding this a little hard to believe and a little bit on the ignorant side. The Colorado high feature V6 has a strong midrange but is a fairly gutless engine when it comes to torque and you have to rev the crap out of it.

I would bet the torque curve for the 4 cyl is better than the V6 though the whole range and way better at low RPMs. I admit I have not driven the Ranger yet but I have driven the 2.3 turbo and, like pretty much every modern direct injection varible boost turbo 4, the power curve and delivery is way better than torqe-less high reving V6's IMHO.

Maybe it’s the gearing or the trans or maybe the ranger is heavier? It was just the seat of the pants feel. In the motortrend tests the canyon/Colorado won all the speed stuff by a small margin.

I’d like to drive them both with a trailer behind them and see but you can’t do that in a test drive haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
now coming from a full size Chevy the Tacoma feels like a shoe box that's hard to get into.
My comments here aren't directed at you personally but this statement kind of irritated me, it's something I thought of yesterday. I don't get why it should be a surprise that a small truck is small. Aren't they supposed to be? If that doesn't meet your needs then there's always a full size.
You have to step up into it and then bend in half at the waist to squeeze through the door. Once in it I can put the seat all the way back and still reach the pedals, and I have short legs..
This confuses me, I couldn't do that in either my 1991 or 2008. My inseam is 34" and I'm 6'0" tall. I'm a few clicks from all the way back and my left leg is almost straight when I depress the clutch pedal. I might be able to tiptoe the brake and throttle fully back but it would be impossible to disengage the clutch.

nickw

Adventurer
My comments here aren't directed at you personally but this statement kind of irritated me, it's something I thought of yesterday. I don't get why it should be a surprise that a small truck is small. Aren't they supposed to be? If that doesn't meet your needs then there's always a full size.

This confuses me, I couldn't do that in either my 1991 or 2008. My inseam is 34" and I'm 6'0" tall. I'm a few clicks from all the way back and my left leg is almost straight when I depress the clutch pedal. I might be able to tiptoe the brake and throttle fully back but it would be impossible to disengage the clutch.
I know this wasn't directed at me, but I felt the same way as Buddha. A FJ40 is also "small", but it's really easy to get into and you sit up high with great visibility. While the Tacoma is bigger than a FJ40, the interior (again to ME), is much more claustrophobic, hard to get into and seems very compact. I never noticed it in my 2001 Tacoma and drove a FJ40 at the same time, so who knows.

These are great 1st world problems to have :)

Last edited:

nickw

Adventurer
Maybe it’s the gearing or the trans or maybe the ranger is heavier? It was just the seat of the pants feel. In the motortrend tests the canyon/Colorado won all the speed stuff by a small margin.

I’d like to drive them both with a trailer behind them and see but you can’t do that in a test drive haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It has more HP, so it's not surprising it's faster.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.

I guess I was trying to describe the way you get used to the size of car you have at the time. I bought a beater 2001 corolla recently and I can't stand to drive it, its roomy enough but my ass is 4" off the ground and it just feels sketchy, I used to drive cars like that all the time though. I'm sure I could go back to a midsize and I would if I had to drive into downtown more. Last time we went downtown for a show I parked in an empty parking lot, when we got back the parking lot was packed and I had to have my wife spot me just to get out of the parking spot, it was about a 12 point turn.

As for reaching the pedals, yes with a clutch I'm sure I couldn't reach it with the seat back. Our little fleet of Tacomas are all autos though and I can reach the gas and brake with the seat back.

DaveInDenver

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I felt the same way as Buddha. A FJ40 is also "small", but it's really easy to get into and you sit up high with great visibility. While the Tacoma is bigger than a FJ40, the interior (again to ME), is much more claustrophobic, hard to get into and seems very compact. I never noticed it in my 2001 Tacoma and drove a FJ40 at the same time, so who knows.
I had an FJ40 for about a year in 1999, between owning a Ford Ranger and my mini truck (which I owned from 2000 to 2015). I didn't miss the FJ40 and still don't other than having a removable top. When I got in my '91 it was like putting on a familiar pair of boots.

Don't get me wrong, the interior of my 2008 feels far more cramped than something its size should. The large A pillars, high hood, etc. I don't like my Taco nearly as much as my old truck (still recognize it as a HUGE mistake selling it 3+ years on). But the seating position is one thing that still feels right.

When they finally do acquiesce to the critics and change it I'll be disappointed. Just another in the list of things I'm sorry to see get lost to history. Life goes on. If that happens and if I'm faced with needing to buy a truck like that I might adapt, I might finally just restore an old mini truck, I might be senile and think I'm driving a Toyopet for that matter.

iu.jpeg

tacollie

Glamper
I like the seating position in Toyotas because that's what I know. I get into other trucks and they feel weird. The first thing I thought when I got into my buddies Ram 1500 is that it didn't have much leg room for a truck that big. Obviously the Ram has more room everywhere else. Plus, it's funny watching him drive it. If he's fallowing me I always find a tight place to turn around so I can watch him struggle. It's good to have friends!

The Ranger seems like a good value compared to the Tacoma. Hopefully they hold up well.

nickw

Adventurer
I like the seating position in Toyotas because that's what I know. I get into other trucks and they feel weird. The first thing I thought when I got into my buddies Ram 1500 is that it didn't have much leg room for a truck that big. Obviously the Ram has more room everywhere else. Plus, it's funny watching him drive it. If he's fallowing me I always find a tight place to turn around so I can watch him struggle. It's good to have friends!

The Ranger seems like a good value compared to the Tacoma. Hopefully they hold up well.

Yeah, me too. I typically don't buy newly released rigs, but it's a platform that has been used ROTW for years and it uses proven components from ford....may be wishful thinking on my part.

It's priced right in line with the TRD Offroad, a smidge more....but resale is the big "?". Tough to argue paying $3x,000 for a rig and selling it 2 years later for $30k+.....doubtful Ford will be anywhere near that...

tacollie

Glamper
Yeah, me too. I typically don't buy newly released rigs, but it's a platform that has been used ROTW for years and it uses proven components from ford....may be wishful thinking on my part.

It's priced right in line with the TRD Offroad, a smidge more....but resale is the big "?". Tough to argue paying $3x,000 for a rig and selling it 2 years later for $30k+.....doubtful Ford will be anywhere near that...
I'm willing to bet Ford will be more flexible on pricing. I'm also hoping they don't hold their value like Toyota because I typically buy used. It's stupid what used Toyotas go for.

nickw

Adventurer
I'm willing to bet Ford will be more flexible on pricing. I'm also hoping they don't hold their value like Toyota because I typically buy used. It's stupid what used Toyotas go for.

Seems like with the F150 guys are getting about 8-10% MSRP, which would be $3-$4k off asking price, so mid to high $30's for a Ranger, which feels about right. That may take a while though until these are produced in high quantity like the F150's.

Here in Oregon, at least at my local dealer, Toyota offers their "Clear" pricing which is non-negotiable, the Tacomas are about 5% off MSRP....maybe they are playing games with jacking up MSRP, who knows, but when I looked at them a year ago, it was 5% off what Toyota calls MSRP on the website:

https://www.beavertontoyota.com/new.../2019-toyota-tacoma-beaverton-oregon-35467387

*Edit - I agree on the used Taco prices. I bought a 2001 TRD/5spd manual in 2006 for $18.5k w/50,000 miles, sold it in 2011 for $14k w/150,000 miles.

DaveInDenver

I bought a 1991 XtraCab in 2000 for $5,500 and sold it in 2015 for $3,500. That was my one deal of a lifetime, I'll never get so much value again. But I also don't concern myself with resale, I mean what's the point of going into a purchase with the expectation of selling it? I buy and hold, squeeze a dime until two nickels pop out, so to speak.

nickw

Adventurer
I bought a 1991 XtraCab in 2000 for $5,500 and sold it in 2015 for $3,500. That was my one deal of a lifetime, I'll never get so much value again. But I also don't concern myself with resale, I mean what's the point of going into a purchase with the expectation of selling it? I buy and hold, squeeze a dime until two nickels pop out, so to speak.
I hear ya! I bought a mint super clean 78' FJ40 in 2006 for $9k, drove is probably 8000 miles and sold it in 2011 for $12k....you couldn't touch that thing for less than $20k+ now:rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner