2020 Overland Explorer Vehicles (OEV) CAMP-X pop-up slide-in pickup camper (renamed "Back Country" as of 2023)

Chadx

♫ Off road, again. Just can't wait to get...
New overlandex.com website is rolling out as I type this! Currently, the new site only loads when accessing from a mobile device (phone, tablet); not from my PC. From PC, the main page is still the former site, but all subpage links are broken. I imagine by morning the full rollout will be complete. Interesting on the new Base Camp models. They are 9' campers and mount directly to a 1ton the pickup like the larger Summit and Summit X and will be available in a softtop or hardtop. Might be an exciting new choice for those that want a dedicated, fulling integrated camping rig.

Found a work around for PC access. Go to https://overlandex.com/base-camp-hard-wall/ and then use the Products drop down to get to the various campers.

Last edited:

Ninelitetrip

Nice to see them expanding in this space. Big jump from the HBE + tray cost and the cost of the new Base Camp model. I wonder if a hardwall version of the HBE is feasible without going full Base Camp hardwall?

Chadx

I've wondered the same thing, about the possibility of a hard-sided CAMP-HBE, over this last year. I did note that their new CAMP-HBE page starts with "The only removable flat bed camper in our entire line up of products. It is only offered in a Pop Up Roof configuration."

In any case, the BASE-CAMP warrants a new thread. I started this one: Overland Explorer BASE-CAMP Pickup Camper - Soft-Wall and Hard-Wall Versions

Last edited:

anthonym

Picking up ours from Boulder Vehicle Outfitters in a few weeks! Super excited.

For those using the water systems in below freezing temps, what's your process? Anything to do besides add the Truma electric antifreeze thing and leave the camper heat set to at least some above-freezing level (40?) all the time? I would worry about possible freezing in the plumbing to the outdoor shower, but it seems like plenty of people are doing just fine.

anthonym

Ours will be a 2020, so no existing valve (I think). Might be able to plumb one in later since it looks like they use standard PEX fittings everywhere. I'm curious from existing owners whether that's necessary.

Chadx

I went back and updated Post #199 (<-- link) so readers of that post would get the info immediately, but the update is:

"The SOK 206AH battery arrived, and while it will fit in the battery box itself, there is no way to get into the battery box due to the placement of the battery box within the under-seat cabinet, water tank location, and shunt/breaker locations. While I had premeasured and knew I'd have to cut out a section of the aluminum battery box to install this particular battery, I started a cut and quickly realized it would be a long and messy grinding/cutting process so lost all enthusiasm to make this work by cutting up the battery box. I even considered cutting an access hole in the front exterior wall and installing an external door (or patch) to allow a battery to be inserted into the battery box from the outside, but decided against it so never contacted Overland Explorer to see if there would be any structural concerns with that. Next bit of research was to see if the smaller 100AH SOK battery would fit with less or no modifications. It has the same footprint as the 206AH but is a few inches shorter. I used cardboard to model a lifesized blank. No go. It is the 7.9" width that makes the SOK batteries impossible to fit. Battleborn are 6.88" wide so the same width as the frustratingly tight-to-remove-but-still-possible stock AGM. So I modeled another blank based on the Battleborn 100AH and it will juuuuuuust fit. So I ordered a Battleborn and am awaiting it to arrive. Yes I could have repurposed the under-fridge cabinet for one or more batteries, and would have been fairly easy to wire, but we would lose a valuable storage area, so wasn't willing to consider that. We'll settle for a 100AH battery instead of the 206AH that we were so excited to have. "

The battery compartment would greatly benefit from a new layout/design. I was lucky that my camper came with the 100AH AGM which could, with much effort, be removed without cutting. Others have mentioned their campers were basically built around their oversized battery so the battery was impossible to remove without cutting/grinding out sections of the aluminum battery box. Batteries are a wear item with fixed life span so the battery box design should be updated to accommodate replacement without cutting up a portion of the camper. Looking it over, the other option might be removing the aluminum panel off the front of the water tank cabinet, removing the water tank, but even with water tank removed for the battery installation, clearance would be tight.

The simplest solution would be adding a door for external access. That is typical for most larger campers and would greatly simplify battery replacements on the CAMP-X. The internal battery box could still have an access lid for maintenance and ease of wiring when the camper was on a pickup. And the battery box could possibly be made even larger and make the odds better that it could accommodate more battery sizes, layouts and options. An external battery compartment door would make removing and installing a battery much easier and the door could have the venting required by law in case an owner ever used flooded lead acid. Those that install AGM or lithium could cover the door vents and insulate the door. This would resolve the battery access issue. I've sent this recommendation to Overland Explorer for consideration.

Last edited:

crystalclear

Observer
another storage idea you camp-xers might appreciate - i know ox is working with a company to provide soft pouches for various locations on the interior, but this is a perfect fit and holds a ton of stuff

90A0ADC1-24A0-4C61-8837-C3B0D435A4BD.jpeg

Chadx

another storage idea you camp-xers might appreciate - i know ox is working with a company to provide soft pouches for various locations on the interior, but this is a perfect fit and holds a ton of stuff

Nice. What attachment did you use? Did you use a tap and thread into the aluminum? Or drill and use self tapping, perhaps? Can't quite make out the details or your attachment points. Thanks.

crystalclear

Observer
the pouch comes with retaining clips that the metal rings hang from - attached those clips by drill/tap/small phillips head bolt

also @chadx the inverter works perfectly for quickly charging up a surron...most fun ive had in a while

Tacovic

I am considering purchase of a Camp-X but I am concerned about the lack of interior storage. I notice that the storage area under stove and sink in the 2020 camper now has a 120v breaker box and outlet blocking access to the right hand portion of this previously large and convenient space. Has anyone else noticed this?

Chadx

Tacovic,
I believe that was only in the 2020 model, like mine, and in the current model, that has been moved/removed for easier access and more storage space under the sink. I'll look for the latest video that I saw...

Found it. Check out the updated undersink storage space in this vid. That is at 1:40. It also shows many of the other mid-year updates such as water level LED light, raised dinette floor, change in portapotty storage from drawer to door, etc. They also have changed to a 4" mattress rather than 3" mattress and from a 30amp shorepower hookup to 15amp hookup. We stack small tubs in the under-fridge cabinet and pull them out and stack them on the countertop once we set up camp. Same in under-sink storage, though those tubs typically stay in their location. Further up this thread, you can see where 'Crystalclear' added shelves undersink and in the portapotty cabinet and 'ontheroad22' linked to a storage tub under the raised dinette floor. Lots of hanging storage options as well. We also had our dinette cushions redone so we no longer have a cushion in front of the side window and that seating, we have storage baskets. My custom cushion configuration is in post https://expeditionportal.com/forum/...e-in-pickup-camper.214329/page-9#post-2836534

All that being said, OEV implements design changes and updates immediately. Very nimble and responsive. That does prove challenging to know what you will get when you buy a certain model year used because one model year, like 2020, may have a half dozen differences. If you are ordering new, you'll get the latest/greatest and your dealer should be able to provide the latest overview. Or better yet, have one on the ground. Though this spring, most inbound orders will be pre-paid and spoken floor so low odds of finding an available unit on the ground. But some dealerships may have the foresight to keep one demo unit on the ground at all times. It's just that it may not have the latest updates due to the speed at which updates are incorporated.

Their channel with more videos. https://www.youtube.com/c/OverlandExplorerVehicles/videos
Some show the outside standard updates, such as integrated awning brackets and outside shower curtain brackets, and some options (molle racks, roof racks, lights, etc.).

Not in those videos, but shown on their social media channels, they have also changed to rubber pucks along the lower extrusions to replace the use of a heavy rubber bed mat. Those pucks also account for height adjustment to accommodate different pickup model bedrail heights. Early on, I cut the provided heavy rubber bed mat into 4" or 5" wide strips (don't recall width) rather than using the entire thing. CAMP-X are supported by the perimeter extrusions so no need for any support in the middle of the floorpack. See pictures of my cut bed mats in this post: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/...e-in-pickup-camper.214329/page-2#post-2773760

Here is an image of the new OEV pucks that eliminate the need for heavy rubber bed mat. That saves a bunch of weight (full bed mat was over 90lbs if I recall correctly) and eliminates storage of the mat when camper is off. And if the camper is ever moved to a different pickup model, the pucks can be swapped out for a different height puck to accommodate different height bed rails.

1613051899357.png

Last edited:

Tacovic

Chadx, thanks very much for your detailed reply. I will talk to the sales rep to get all the latest changes before placing my order.

Chadx

Chadx, thanks very much for your detailed reply. I will talk to the sales rep to get all the latest changes before placing my order.

You bet. That was just off the top of my head. There may be more.

Would be great if OEV kept a file of production changes and the serial number cutoff of those runs. Would make for quick dealer and future used/owner reference and lookup.

Ninelitetrip

The next evolution.

After many requests we have designed side storage boxes for those that want to mate their CAMP-X to our Aluma Series Tray.

Storage box dimensions:
16" deep x 20.5" high x 81" long

These Trays are quickly evolving to be used for a variety of different purposes, they were originally designed for the CAMP-HBE.

What's next for it? We are thinking some kind of storage system that owners can adapt any RTT system to it. Keep checking our website for this and other new products that are soon to be released.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Itsgreg