2020 Ram 5500 DIY Composite Panel Camper Build Thread

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?
Thanks for sharing, something to consider. Of course the goal is to build something that can earth roam, just not immediately. I don't ever want to think about payload or tow limitations so I can just keep on trucking. I've under-bought enough vehicles in my life that I'll never do that again.

I watched the wheel video, that's pretty wild.

By earthroamer I meant the massive, 15,000lb expedition trucks, a 3500 with 36's and good suspension can certainly roam the earth.

HAF

I have built a RAM 5500 with flatbed and 12 foot camper. With a little weight on the flatbed, the truck ride was not all that bad, certainly never dangerous. Truck always felt planted and never had the rear wheels hop. Once I put a 4,500 pound camper on it, the ride was really good. I had confidence carving through the Rockys at highway speeds. Never felt like it would sway or tip in corners. I took it off road (not Jeep like) and found it to be decent. Mostly fire roads and cruising around BLM land in Moab. OP has selected a great platform for a decent sized camper. Just keep the heavy stuff low and between the axels.

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?
You have the only 5500 flatbed that doesn't hop on washboard roads. You should sell it to the manufacturers that have been trying to fix that problem for 40 years so they can reverse engineer it and see what the magic is.

HAF

Maybe. Truck lived its life in a rural part of Minnesota on a dirt road that frost heaved in the spring. Or maybe When I approached big lumpy stuff, I simply drove it under control. Hey, hold my beer and watch this!

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?
Doesn't matter the speed, unless walking pace, you'll wheel a hop a 3500, let alone a 5500. Hell, half tons wheel hop.

Darwin

Explorer
There are some benefits to a dually, increased stability, capacity, and safety in the event of a rear tire blow out. I think duallys get put down pretty hard on this forum, but if you are hauling heavy, most of your miles will be paved roads anyways, if you are on gravel roads, simply slow down, problem solved. The problem with 19+ trucks is like ram5500camperthing mentioned. you can not go to super singles on the cab and chassis 3500 because the front bolt pattern is different than the back with the spacer removed. Pre 2019 5500's I am not sure if they ran a spacer or not, it sounds like on the 19+ they don't, it all creates a challenge to get the track width front to back the same, hence why buckstop uses the offset that they do.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Pre 2019 5500's I am not sure if they ran a spacer or not, it sounds like on the 19+ they don't, it all creates a challenge to get the track width front to back the same, hence why buckstop uses the offset that they do.

Yes, all year 5500s use the front wheel spacer from the factory. Can see them on mine in the photo above.

The Beefcake build on here details an older one and how he made his own adapters. Was pretty slick but beyond my skill level.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
For anyone building a 2019+ Ram trying to calibrate the Speedo and not finding many easy options since the ODB port is locked with new security nonsense.... I got you...

Thanks to my studying at YouTube University, i found a way to dial in the Speedo 100% accurately in 2 minutes with no bypass module needed.

Eddies Life on YouTube did a video for his 2019 using a Hypertech Speedo calibrator for a Jeep.

I tried the Hypertech unit for my Tundra and it failed miserably so i was skeptical.

But... Since not many options for the 2019+ Rams and Eddie having a good reputation, i tried it.

Hypertech Part # 752504 (for a Jeep JL).

Small white plug, plugs into the board (NOT the ODB) near the parking brake, turn truck on (DONT START) and follow the prompts. (plug circled in red)

NOTE: The ram doesnt have any 12v HOT USB plugs, they are all ignition hot, so i used a battery pack shown below.

Tires measure 41" in my level driveway. After some trial and error, setting it to 39.5" on the calibrator had my speedo spot on accurate verified with 2 different GPS units.

Having the proper speed is great, but it also put the tranny shift points back to where they need to be and the truck drives amazing right now.

speedo_FORUM.jpg

speedo_pluggedin_FORUM.jpg

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Front bumper, skid plates steps, and flares will be here in a few days so getting the winch and line ready.

Gotta say, i prefer the rope mounting bolt method of the Warn 16.5 much over the pain in the ass method of the wedge block on their Zeon stuff.

Factor 55 supports our Military and First Responders so i support them! Top notch stuff from a great company!

recovery2_FORUM.jpg

Last edited:

38snubby

Front bumper, skid plates steps, and flares will be here in a few days so getting the winch and line ready.

Gotta say, i prefer the rope mounting bolt method of the Warn 16.5 much over the pain in the ass method of the wedge block on their Zeon stuff.

Factor 55 supports our Military and First Responders so i support them! Top notch stuff from a great company!

View attachment 578128

Factor 55 got bought out by Warn a few weeks ago so that may not be the case anymore. But that is a ************ winch and winch accessories. :)

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Factor 55 got bought out by Warn a few weeks ago so that may not be the case anymore. But that is a ************ winch and winch accessories. :)

Not totally true. I’ve done a lot of business with them in the past.

Spoke with the owner at length and joked something to the effect of “I wanna order all my ******** ASAP before Warn has it made in China”

He actually took an out of character defensive stance on it and made it very very clear they were not “bought out” and instead partnered with Warn and will be taking over their recovery stuff other than the winches themselves.

Assured me everything will be continued to be made where it currently is, and that first responders and military still get a nice discount.

He’s always been a stand up guy so I have no reason to believe he’s blowing smoke

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater